• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

anybody use one of those outside storage sheds ...

If theft is a concern on a wooden structure, do the simple things that would make it difficult for an amateur: 1) a small metal plate screwed in beneath the door pins removes that option of driving them out. 2) Be sure there are no bolts on the latch which can be removed with a wrench. 3) Use a decent key (not combination) padlock. 4. Opt for either no windows, or if you want windows have curtains over them when you don't need the light. I think this "out of sight" idea is the most important of all.

Basic idea: make it a bit difficult for kids or amateurs to get in; the pros will do just that, but only if they target you. I know, "who wants to steal a BMW?" Well, who wants to steal the front wheel off a 1980 Honda CB750. Someone, who also wanted some soft luggage as well. I had advertised it in front of my property and somebody chose to steal the parts they wanted. I wished they had stolen the whole damn bike!

I needed extra storage and decided to get the largest building for the best price. Carolina Sheds offered a 24'x32' steel building with concrete slab for 11.5K. As purchased the building came with (1) 36" door, (2) windows, and (1) 8"x8" rolllup door. Before the slab was poured I asked the foreman of the concrete crew if he could could frame a "pocket" in the slab for a HF bike lift and pour a 3' ramp in front of the rollup door. There was no extra cost for the "pocket" or ramp but I was so pleased with the result that each worker was given $50. Due to hurricane requirements the slab has 16"x16" footers with rebar. After retirement in December I will get bids to have a 60amp line run out to the building and wiring for lighting and outlets including a plug that I can connect to my 8KW generator in case power is lost for some reason. A friend in Copperas Cove TX had a slab poured for a 16'x16' shed that is used to store his cycles and gear. He is very pleased with the result. Buy bigger than what you consider the minimum size, 4' to 6' or larger doors are a big plus along with slab you can anchor the building to. Ride Safe

Well, I got the door wide enough to get the hack in. Now to clean out the junk, build some kind of ramp, oh yeah, probably ought to get the door hung again :laugh

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 975
Outdoor Shed

I have been storing my motorcycles in a shed in my driveway for the last 15 years. I bought a vinyl 8x10 shed that was made by a company in Canada called
Royal Outdoor Products. It has held up very well through Maine winters and has kept my R1200RT, lawn mower, BBQ, etc.......bone dry. I built it on top of a pallet type platform and the shed kit that I bought offered an optional floor kit which I purchased as well. It took a day and a half to build by one person, it is essentially a set of interlocking panels that slide right into place. I sealed all the major seams with silicone sealant and it has served me really well. I put a motion detector spotlight over the doors and double locks to deter would be burgulars, which have tried and failed to get into my shed. It all cost me about $1000 15 years ago with the floor and it is worth every penny and has held up really well. I make sure that I rake the roof when we get heavy snow falls to avoid any problems, but the shed is very sturdy and of good quality. I'd recommend it to anyone. They are selling something very similar at Lowes.....here's the link:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Last edited:
I have one I built myself. Just like the barn style tuff shed with loft. The loft is money well spent. Best part of the wood shed is that it does not get dew inside like a metal shed. The thing about the pro-built one, the doors probably hang better than the one I made. Sometimes, it is nice just to write a check & have it done.

Tuff Shed

I bought the exact same shed about 8 months ago. If you get one, see if you can coat the bottom surface of the floor with some sort of waterproof paint or sealer. Or talk to the vendor about supplying your own flooring material (4 X 8 sheets of 3/4" decking). The shed is well built, but I am concerned that the moisture from the ground will eventually rot out or weaken the flooring (even though it sits about 6" above ground).

Here is the 12x16 shed I bought and keep my bike in. After receiving it, I closed off the loft for storage, added access to the loft, insulated the ceiling and walls, then covered the walls with OSB board and painted. Curtains are over the windows as well as wireless motion detector hooked to the home security system. I ran entrance wire from the house to the shed and put a breaker panel in, as well as receptacles and fluorescent lights. Last winter I heated it with a small utility heater and it kept it in the 60s on low heat, even with temps in the low 20s and teens. I still have to underpin it and in the spring put a small A/C unit in for when I am working out there. I ride the bike in, then put it on a Park and Move, spin it around and I am ready to ride out. I thought it turned out really well, especially since I am the farthest thing from a carpenter that there is.

Attachments

• New shed.jpg
    New shed.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 976
Here is a pic of the inside.

Nice work, looks very nice. Do you have enough room?...or wish you had gone larger?

I noticed your 'jack' type lift. Does it do well lifting the RT? I have one, used it on my Kawasaki cruiser,.but never tried it on my "R" or my "K" I use a table type for them.

Ron

Thanks! It is a 12x16 and it is just right I think. My wife talked me into going with a 12x16 instead of a 10x16 which I originally looked at. Any smaller though and I wouldn't have been able to turn the bike around like I do now, so I am glad she talked me into it. I don't think I would want any bigger. On the other end is my reloading bench and gear, so it works out perfect for the two things I wanted it for.

I have never really tried lifting the RT with the jack, I use it mainly for getting the front tire off the ground. There really isn't a good place for it under the RT anyway. When I had my Harley it was great because the frame was below the motor, so I could set it under it, strap it down and raise away. Someday I would like to get a table like you have, it would make working on it so much easier. I am getting too old to get up and down like that anymore.

I have been using a 10' x 16' for several years. The whole shed is devoted to bike equipment from riding gear to camping gear and all my tools to service the bike. In hind sight I would of gone with the 12' X 16"

Attachments

• snowy 2009-1.jpg
    snowy 2009-1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 780
When we first bought our new house, I used a 9x10 metal shed for the bike. After a couple of years I had a 30x30 garage built. Now we have 4 bikes...

You have a nice looking shed Sarge and look at all the snow!! Lucklily my wife lets me keep all the camping gear in a room in the basement. If she didn't t I am not sure I could have it all in a 12x16.:) Where in the heck do we accumulate all this stuff anyway?? I guess we all make do with what we have and should consider ourselves lucky as some have to just throw a bike cover over it and park in street.

Now a 30x30, that is a nice garage!! With 4 bikes though I could see the need.

I think the way he told the story is:
small garage
one bike
new, bigger garage
3 more bikes to fill it.

Kind of like how a gas fills its container.

I think the way he told the story is:
small garage
one bike
new, bigger garage
3 more bikes to fill it.

Kind of like how a gas fills its container.

Our house came with a 50X60 "garage" you don't want to know!:doh

For you guys that have electricity in your sheds/garages, I recommend getting one or two of those plug-in ultrasonic (is that the correct term?) pest repellers. A while back, during the winter birds built a nest in my helmet and I saw a woodchuck go inside during the day. We also have lots of skunks in the area this year. But since I put the pest repeller in about 4 years ago, I have had no problems and I do like to keep the garage door open during the day on milder winter days to get some sunshine and warmer/fresher air circulation.

For you guys that have electricity in your sheds/garages, I recommend getting one or two of those plug-in ultrasonic (is that the correct term?) pest repellers. A while back, during the winter birds built a nest in my helmet and I saw a woodchuck go inside during the day. We also have lots of skunks in the area this year. But since I put the pest repeller in about 4 years ago, I have had no problems and I do like to keep the garage door open during the day on milder winter days to get some sunshine and warmer/fresher air circulation.

I find that the ultrasonic also cuts down on the number of spiders hanging out in the man cave in addition to the varmints (mice and squirrels).

Option to Keep Rodents Out

I've used in my garage for a few years and we put in all the farm cabs on tractors, trucks, combines, etc and never had a rodent problem since. Can be found at most hardware stores, Sears or on Amazon. 1 pouch lasts 2- 3 months in a single car garage and over the winter in a vehicle. I like as pretty safe if you have pets around.

http://www.earth-kind.com

ClassicVW and Darrell, are you talking about the same device? I DO have an extension cord out to my shed for a battery tender and am VERY INTERESTED in a device that keeps out mice, also bats.

Understand how the bat (seems to only be one) gets in under the eaves. The mice perplex me as I nailed a batten to the bottom of the door (only low entry) which gives them about a 1/4" clearance, but since finding mouse poop put out a couple traps and have killed over a dozen.

More info and brands would be most welcome. Hope they have them in Canada.

Back