• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 20-22, 2018

It probably will, but just in case... there is a really nice (and paved) back way in and out of the Fontana Lodge. News articles about the slide take you on this huge detour that isn't necessary.

The route below is one that I created for the first couple events... and while it features a lot of dirt road riding, it also shows this way in.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2180268

(what happened to the embed function here?)

Screen%20Shot%202018-02-19%20at%207.52.22%20AM-X3.png

Ian,
It looks like it doesn't like the transition through your Smuggy. Try a direct screen-shot. OR- it just needed a :coffee :ha
Gary

Thanks Ian, yes that is another way in there but be advised that road is tight and narrow with lots of houses with blind driveways. Again it is a nice ride but a necessarily slow one. I know they are working hard to clear 28 and really hopeful that will be all cleared by the time we get there!

Killboy.com has posted some video and photos. Everyone quoted is speaking optimistically about how quickly the work can be done. See: http://www.killboy.com/moonshiner-28-rockslide-clean-up-week-1/

Thanks for that link John. Puts perspective on what I had read/heard.Have enjoyed that run several times thru the years and would not like to round a corner and come up on that when it happened.

Three thousand truckloads cannot do nice things to existing road surface!

Reese...adjust the flight plans friend:wave

Thanks for that link John. Puts perspective on what I had read/heard.Have enjoyed that run several times thru the years and would not like to round a corner and come up on that when it happened.

Three thousand truckloads cannot do nice things to existing road surface!

Reese...adjust the flight plans friend:wave

FWIW the contractor appears to be a huge operation and perhaps is pleased to do this to support the local economy and make costs, anyway. I'm looking forward to zipping along some very nice pavement in April to get to Fontana Village. With Killboy.com taking an interest, there should be lots of visibility and news updates about progress. Really, after all, it's a little under two months until the MOA Getaway, and the weather gets warmer every day...

Ian,
It looks like it doesn't like the transition through your Smuggy. Try a direct screen-shot. OR- it just needed a :coffee :ha
Gary

No, I was trying to embed a screen from RideWithGPS.com - I used to be able to do this with the embed code from that site.

Now I get:

<iframe src='https://rwgps-embeds.com/embeds?type=route&id=2180268&sampleGraph=true' style='width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 700px; border: none;' scrolling='no'></iframe>

Thanks Ian, yes that is another way in there but be advised that road is tight and narrow with lots of houses with blind driveways. Again it is a nice ride but a necessarily slow one. I know they are working hard to clear 28 and really hopeful that will be all cleared by the time we get there!

There are houses for the first mile as you exit out of Fontana village... then very few. It's almost all woods.

And... what could possibly be wrong with "tight and narrow" ??? :p

Roy, make sure you introduce yourself. I always look forward to meeting and talking to new members at their first Getaway. Your first beer is on me. I’ll be getting in Thursday night staying at the lodge. I look like this guy.

Thanks Reece I will definitely be on the lookout for you and that beer. I appreciate the offer.

Hi Roy - I'm coming down from Massachusetts through Hendersonville, NC. I expect to be at Fontana a bit earlier than you. If you're planning to come down the BRP from Little Switzerland you should know that the Linn Cove Viaduct is going to be closed for a couple of months. Also, there may be other closures in the mid-April time period too. You can always check at this URL: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Once in Fontana, you'll have a fine time riding the roads and also with the BMW MOA Crew. You've heard from "Mr. Party!" Reece Mullins. Our pal Chris Wilhelm will be coming down from Michigan. Look for me in this disguise and I'll buy your second beer:

Thanks for the heads up. I will look for the closings and adjust around them. I look forward to catching up and having that second beer. Just starting to wonder if this is the beginning of a haze the new guy tradition? I’m looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hey evverbuddy,
I'm pleased to report that I'll be there too!

Been meaning to make it to this Getaway for ages but y'know...life & all that.

I've really been kind of out of the loop with MOA-life lately so I'm greatly looking forward to seeing everybody and the usual stuff about old and new friends.

Also this will be Mrs. Veg's first taste of the MOA; I hope she likes it enough to talk her into going to Des Moines! She's interested so far, so you reprobates please be on your best behaviour! :brad

As of 30 minutes before this post I was able to get a room; no idea how many are left so call now if you haven't yet.

See you at Fontana! :wave

Hey evverbuddy,
I'm pleased to report that I'll be there too!

Been meaning to make it to this Getaway for ages but y'know...life & all that.

I've really been kind of out of the loop with MOA-life lately so I'm greatly looking forward to seeing everybody and the usual stuff about old and new friends.

Also this will be Mrs. Veg's first taste of the MOA; I hope she likes it enough to talk her into going to Des Moines! She's interested so far, so you reprobates please be on your best behaviour! :brad

As of 30 minutes before this post I was able to get a room; no idea how many are left so call now if you haven't yet.

See you at Fontana! :wave

Good news Veg, I look forward to seeing you...and I will be on my best behavior...now the other "reprobates"...I make no promises!

Good news Veg, I look forward to seeing you...and I will be on my best behavior...now the other "reprobates"...I make no promises!

He’s lying. He’s a reprobate on probation, sentenced by a probate judge. If Vance and Mari are there all bets are off.
Getting excited!

I won't make it this year, but am seriously thinking of starting my 2019 riding season there, then continuing across the southern states to Arizona and Utah before the heat builds, up the Pacific Coast to the Olympic Peninsula, across the North Cascades and then who knows where! I'll be retired, so it'll be just me and Glenlivet (the dog, not the Scotch) checking out the country in our sidecar rig and meeting new friends.

2.jpg

Pete you would love it. My first year there, I was at the base of the tail of the dragon, coming from the lodge (this would be my first venture on the dragon ever) and we had to stop to let a black bear cub cross the road, the first time I had ever seen a bear in the wild. It was as close to heaven as I think I’ve ever come on this earth. I get to experience spring twice March in the Deep South and April in Fontana. All the dogwoods, redbuds, azaleas, and wild flowers are all in bloom at the same time. Truly, a great event in the getaway series.
Me on the dragon shortly after bear cub spotting.
57A20F62-E262-47A0-AB14-D54E29053EE7.jpg

My first year there, I was at the base of the tail of the dragon, coming from the lodge (this would be my first venture on the dragon ever) and we had to stop to let a black bear cub cross the road, the first time I had ever seen a bear in the wild.

Funny, not to drift the thread too much, but my one and only wild bear sighting was also on the bike, but on the way to Hamburg, on a Sunday morning, and the adult bear was perched high on a rock overlooking the PA Turnpike on the outskirts of Wilkes Barre. The bear looked very lazy; must've been fantasising about catching a car (or bike). That trip had several other really cool wildlife sightings, but that's a story for another time...maybe over some drinks at Fontana! :beer

A beautiful area, with wonderful roads to experience. After the MOA weekend, if you've got a bit of extra time and enjoy overland travel to interesting and exotic locations, consider coming to the Horizons Unlimited Travellers Meeting in Virginia just a few days later. From Thursday (April 26) through Sunday (April 29), we'll gather at Appomattox, Virginia to see presentations about trips all over the U.S. and the world. Check out the details at: www.horizonsunlimited.com/virginia and maybe we'll see you there!

Steve Anderson
Locust Grove, Virginia
MOA #39248
Organizer, Horizons Unlimited Virginia

RoomShare?

I've put it late, as I'd planned on the Motorcycles of Charlotte event, but there's no lodging there. If someone is going and might be interested in sharing a room, I don't swear or snore...too much. Hopefully the messaging system on the forum works.

It's Not too Late...But Almost!

The event is basically sold out at this point. However there are a couple of king bed lodge rooms and a few cabins left available as of this morning. Be sure to check with the resort and book your reservations (be sure to mention the BMW MOA). Once that is done register for the event through the MOA website! See you there!

Back