• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 R 1200 GS rear main seal replacement

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
hi all, my friend just bought a 2006 R 1200 GS with an oil leak. the bike has 36,000 miles, and seems to be in great shape other than that. the oil seems to be leaking between the engine and trans, which leads me to think rear main seal. the dealer quoted him $2800 to replace the rear main seal, does that seem high? I am thinking about doing the job for him. although I have never done this job on a hex head, I have done it on an air head. after watching a couple of you tube videos, it looks fairly straight forward. so does anyone have any advice , encouragement, or suggestions? thanks in advance

hi all, my friend just bought a 2006 R 1200 GS with an oil leak. the bike has 36,000 miles, and seems to be in great shape other than that. the oil seems to be leaking between the engine and trans, which leads me to think rear main seal. the dealer quoted him $2800 to replace the rear main seal, does that seem high? I am thinking about doing the job for him. although I have never done this job on a hex head, I have done it on an air head. after watching a couple of you tube videos, it looks fairly straight forward. so does anyone have any advice , encouragement, or suggestions? thanks in advance

before you rush into the rear main, have a look at the left side camchain tensioner...it resides behind the left throttle body...common problem that it could be a bit loose weeping oil to exactly where you describe...just split my 13RT for the very same thought as you only to find it was that pesky tensioner...i did replace the main seal, input shaft seal and the entire clutch while i was at it...BTW, should you decide to do the clutch i STRONGLY suggest you NOT use aftermarket....dont ask...:banghead

thanks Wyman, we cleaned it off today, going to take a test ride tomorrow, then look and see where the oil is coming from.

BTW, should you decide to do the clutch i STRONGLY suggest you NOT use aftermarket....dont ask...:banghead

Not to hijack a thread, but I think the OP and the rest of us would like some clarification on that. I currently have one machine running a Siebenrock clutch plate and another running a clutch that was rebuilt by Southland Clutch and both are performing well and trouble-free. And the Siebenrock plate is in a sidecar machine, so it is really getting a workout. So what is/was your issue with aftermarket clutch materials, and which materials?

Best,
DG

Not to hijack a thread, but I think the OP and the rest of us would like some clarification on that. I currently have one machine running a Siebenrock clutch plate and another running a clutch that was rebuilt by Southland Clutch and both are performing well and trouble-free. And the Siebenrock plate is in a sidecar machine, so it is really getting a workout. So what is/was your issue with aftermarket clutch materials, and which materials?

Best,
DG

DG,

all i can really say is that i did NOT use the Siebenrock friction disc (probably would've turned out ok), and i will not say where i bought the aftermarket parts due to my relationship with the owner, suffice to say the disc i initially installed, when removed for the OEM, was not parallel and created a shudder on launch...i seriously doubt the aftermarket pressure plate and cover purchased from the same vendor was the problem just the disc...when i installed the OEM disc, pressure plate, cover and new bolts the bike again shifts like new...smooth as silk...

if you really need to know the vendor, please PM me...:)

just got back from a 250 mile test ride, not much to see. we are going to continue testing and see what happens.

Back