• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

67 Bun Burrner Gold Rides in One Year

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
There is a fellow over on fjrforum.com who is closing in on doing 67 BBGs in 2019. He currently has 64 of them complete (96K miles) and should have the last three done in the next week or so for a total of 105K miles. He is a recently retired postal worker from Florida who goes by 101stPathfinder. He seems to have done the rides on 08 and 09 FJRs. From what I know of him, once he reaches his goal of 67 BBGs he will go do a few more to celebrate.

It's a sickness.

There is a fellow over on fjrforum.com who is closing in on doing 67 BBGs in 2019. He currently has 64 of them complete (96K miles) and should have the last three done in the next week or so for a total of 105K miles. He is a recently retired postal worker from Florida who goes by 101stPathfinder. He seems to have done the rides on 08 and 09 FJRs. From what I know of him, once he reaches his goal of 67 BBGs he will go do a few more to celebrate.

It's a sickness.

That only uses 67 days out of 365. :)

... makes you wonder; does he have PTMHS (post traumatic mail-handler syndrome), and now passes every mailbox and can't hardly stop anywhere.

Today Tony completed his 67th Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) in 2019, for a total of 100,500 miles. All rides were done on Yamaha FJRs. Some facts about his rides that he posted today:

This ride started with my ‘08 @125k

no valve checks (The ‘08 has had 1 check in 217k)

i had new brake pads to begin, but had to replace both front and rear one time each

Burned out both headlights

Oil changes: lost count... probably 12

Tires: I had 6 rears/ 4 fronts plus tires on the bike and purchased 1 f&r during Longest Month. I can only guess... 7 rear and 5 fronts (?)

all maintenance was done by me with the exception of on the road tire changes and complete front wheel rebuild done in Nebraska.

I never had time to figure out the overheating issue with the ‘08, so I purchased a used 121k ‘09 FJR in September.

Came with good tires. Replaced tail light, I broke the rear subframe.

3 oil changes. F & R tires

I finished out the ride from September to current on that bike. (147k now)

Also rode 6k on the new ‘18 with only services by a dealership.

I am going to go over mileage as certs come in, and give an OD mileage number for the year too.

I guess that is great, no faulting the guy, but I fail to understand why so many Barn Burners. You do one or two and you know you can do it, so why continue? Obviously the guy likes to ride and pound some miles, plus has the time to do it so collecting Barn Burner certificates in just bonus.

I can understand going for the 1,000 then 1,500 and going up the ladder.

I guess that is great, no faulting the guy, but I fail to understand why so many Barn Burners. You do one or two and you know you can do it, so why continue? Obviously the guy likes to ride and pound some miles, plus has the time to do it so collecting Barn Burner certificates in just bonus.

I can understand going for the 1,000 then 1,500 and going up the ladder.

Why do golfers play round after round once they know they can play 18 holes? Why do runners ever compete in more than one or two marathons? Same diff!

I agree that 67 Bun Burner Gold runs is a bit over the top, or maybe way over the top. But he seems to enjoy it, or at least I hope he does. I did three Saddle Sore rides - 1,000 in 24 - and one Bun Burner Gold ride - 1,500 in 24. That was enough of that for me. I also did a few 24 hour endurance bonus hunting style rallies before riding and finishing two Iron Butt Rallies. But that was enough for me. I retired from LD riding. I then told Voni if I ever rode over 400 miles a day she should shoot me. I did several times but she didn't shoot. :)

Last edited:
But with golf or running marathons there is hope you can do it better, lower score, faster time. no chance of that with a BB unless you break the law and the IBA frowns on excessive speeds.

I did one 1,000 in 24 years ago, and never turned it in. I knew I could do it and that was good enough for me. I am certain I could do the 1,500 in 24 too, but no plans to do so. I have done several 800-1,000 miles days since, one or two a year.

I would believe you could ride about every nice road in the country in 100 & 5 thousand miles!
The desirable & scenic touring routes at least. In one year though... maybe?

I've got a feeling he rode a LOT of the same Interstate Highway system, back & forth to his house; that wouldn't be for me.

The 105k in a year is quite an accomplishment.

But somewhere, someday, some jerk will comment, "too bad you couldn't have done 75 of the BBG's".... that would have really been something!

KUDO's to the distance... the method offers no desirability for me personally.

"travel'n" john
... credentialed holder of only five IBA Ride Certifications

You are not out flower sniffing on back highways to run 1,500 miles in 24! I had a couple friends do it this last summer. They ran a loop of interstate, ran 5 MPH over all the time, (posted speed 80 MPH in South Dakota!) and did in in a hair over 22 hours. Not a very pleasant ride, and certainly not one I would want to over and over and over.......

Not a very pleasant ride, and certainly not one I would want to over and over and over.......

Me either. But he apparently feels differently. That is OK we me. I would never swim the English Channel but people do. I would never want to climb Mt. Everest but lots of people have died trying. I shake my head, but still congratulate him on his achievement. I do question the wisdom of going 217,000 miles, only once checking the valve clearances, but ... :scratch :)

Tony certainly marches to a different drummer than most people. He reminds me of the late John Ryan in how he is always looking for the next long distance challenge. Tony has been a LD rider for many years and retired at the end of 2018. This was his way of getting into the swing of things as a retired person who rides. I look forward to his next adventure.

I understand that many people, perhaps most people, do not get why someone could enjoy LD riding with such passion. I’ve done a very few such rides and have no interest in doing much more. I do, however, admire riders like Tony and look forward to following his next achievement.

I did a SS 1000 8 yrs ago, to see if I could. I didn't submit anything for documentation though. It was cool to do it, but as others have said, it was not enjoyable and would not do it again. Actually, once more if my wife decides to do it, I would ride with her to keep her company.
17.5 hours, Winter Haven, Fl to Houston via New Orleans was boring.

I wonder what kind of seat that guy used?
That what gets me- is a sore A$$
Hats off to the guy, what a year!

You ride that many miles it don't matter what the seat is. Your butt will fit it eventually!

I have been riding for years and never replaced a seat. Lately I have been adding Bead Riders, but other than that I run the stock seat. Last few bikes were Harley baggers, stock seats are pretty wide and comfy, but still guys bitching about them. I bought an RT a year ago and was no really impressed with the seat, but I kept riding it. After 6,000 miles either the seat broke in or my butt got callouses in the right spots because no plans to change it.

Here is Tony’s final tally for 2019: 67 BBGs for 112,127 miles certified by the IBA, and 12,643 additional miles, for a total of 124,770.

WOW
That's 341.8 miles everyday for a year!
Everyday including Sundays.
Congratulations!
I love this kind of stuff in this day and age.

Back