• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

John, I've yet to drop my f700gs - I'm new to riding and bought the bike used 3,000 miles ago. But I can surely say that as a novice rider, and according to oodles of opines I've read... the 700 is super easy to ride and keep upright. It may be tougher to hoist from the ground (than a top-heavy bike - physics??), but it is less likely to get there to begin with.

Ian - awesome video, thanks for sharing. Some day, God willing!

Dan

Our first bike was a Yamaha RD250. And we toured to Canada on it TWO UP!

Voni
sMiling in rememberance

It truly is amazing how we motorcyclists (humans) have evolved. When I was 16 I could go anywhere on 160 cc's. As I and the motorcycle industry "matured" it took 360 cc's, then 750, 1,000, 1,100, 1,200 even 1,800 to meet my expectations. Now I'm going the other way, but enjoying it as much as when I was that 16 year old. Doing a "750" (F-GS) now, which in BMW measurements is actually 853. However, the point that Paul and Voni make it quite valid...even more enjoyable IMHO.

I have been saying for years, " bigger is not always better".
900cc and under 450 lbs bikes are great too.
Coming from a rider of a RD350 many years ago with a wixom type fairing. When machines 750 and 1000 were just starting out.
:dance

Last edited:
Jconway

Don't give up, your too young!
There are many awesome cool bikes out there that meet your needs, The BMW310 and that Honda both look real good to me.
I get what your saying about to much weight and top heaviness...
You don't need a large displacement bike to have a ton of fun.

I'm the opposite of what most people say. I feel that my '07 R1200RT is easier to move around in the garage compared to my '13 F800GS... probably due to the wider bars and different center of mass.

The RT is easier to pick up with the Ztecnik head protection bars and the HEED rear bag protection bars as both prevent the bike from getting all the way over on its side.

You mention it hurting your back. One of the toughest adaptations I had to do due to back problems is learning to ONLY hold the bike up with my legs. The reflex is to pull the handlebars to stabilise - de training for this was key for me. Once I learned to only use my legs (and thighs) weight became a non issue. Hope I’m being helpful

Yes and very popular. I tried to purchase one on St. Louis back August and nothing available at the dealer. Only thing he could do was suggest ordering a 2020 but I didn’t wish to wait so went with the Niner....

Walt - what is a Niner? (Guessing R9T?)

A lot of good ideas, which I appreciate. As a note, I spent some time yesterday slowly going through a local, very large motorcycle dealership. It was an education. I tried many bikes by standing beside them and trying to simply get them off the center stand. The rows of Harleys were a very tough move. I didn't even attempt the monster Japanese cruisers like the Vaquero. Huge. A Honda ST1300, that's got some heft. The Gold Wings are just massive. If they went down, you better hope to have two or three strong people around. I guess a lot of people must love heavy machines, but I agree with a lot of opinions here: lighter, smaller bikes are not only practical, but also fun to ride. I'm intrigued by the BMW 310. It appears to be a great choice, especially at 374 pounds. Of course for all around usefulness, the larger scooters seem to be the best. I could go back to airheads, but I think I'm done with those. I am currently working to get a K75S back on the road. Whether it is better weight distribution wise remains to be seen. It seems better sitting there. We shall see.

I like the F800GT. Wet weight, 470 lbs. Low center of gravity. Belt drive. A fairing big enough to offer protection, and not so large it is ponderous.

You mention it hurting your back. One of the toughest adaptations I had to do due to back problems is learning to ONLY hold the bike up with my legs. The reflex is to pull the handlebars to stabilise - de training for this was key for me. Once I learned to only use my legs (and thighs) weight became a non issue. Hope I’m being helpful

I dropped my RT at the rally in one of the training classes. Four key things to remember:

1. Once it starts going over, unless you're the Hulk or remembered to eat your Wheaties that morning, all you can really do is set it down as gently as possible. Accept that it's going down and there's nothing you can do about it in most cases and you're less likely to hurt yourself by trying to do something you can't.
  2. Make sure to kill the engine immediately. Being keeled over messes with the oil supply to the head that's farthest from the ground and can pool in the lower one. This has to be your FIRST action after recovering your posture or you'll be buying many more expensive parts afterwards.
  3. Watch some videos about lifting dropped bikes. You have to keep your back and arms straight, your arms straight and parallel to your back, and lift with your legs. I'm almost 55, only 5'6" and about as far from being strong as you can get and still be able to walk. I picked up the RT like it was a five year old using the right technique. It was the first (and so far only) time I dropped this bike and I was amazed at how easy it was to pick up. I dropped my FJR 10 years ago (when I was just 44) and it seemed harder than the RT to get back up.
  4. Remember to lower the side stand BEFORE you lift it up. I didn't and luckily someone else there ran over and did it for me or I would have had to set it back down again (it fell to the right). That would have been REALLY embarrassing.

I like the F800GT. Wet weight, 470 lbs. Low center of gravity. Belt drive. A fairing big enough to offer protection, and not so large it is ponderous.
And, alas, no longer produced.

But there's a lot of barely used models out there, previously loved by BMW owners. ;)

Mine had about 2000 miles on it when I found it. Enough that the 600 mile service was done. And the first owner was conscientious enough to do an annual service even though there weren't enough miles on it to do the first full service. Plus, he added about $3000 of accessories to it.

MSRP was twice what you can find them for now.

They are worth considering. After all, every one who buys a new BMW, feels their bike is worth buying for someone else. It's not like they are "trash" and worth nothing when we sell our BMWs.

Yep, age is catching up with me. I've had a nice K100RT for over 25 years. My only real problem was my knees banging the back of the fairing edge. Other than that I liked the bike. Decided to sell it; realized that on the market, they bring no money to speak of. I was sitting around the house doing nothing. I went out to the garage and started removing the fairing. By noon the next day, I had a plain K100. I put the bike on the sidestand. Got on the bike and pulled it up. Man, it felt so good and light. Yea, now were talking. Put the bike on the center stand, and set in the seat. No knees banging a fairing. :thumb. I was smilin. Got on the internet, bought a couple of complete front end headlight assemblies and radiator surrounds. Can't wait to get this bike back togather; it'll be light and nimble to ride.

Low suspension models are worth considering as well. Surprisingly the G310GS is only available in one height - 32.9". It's a no go for me.

But we are still hoping for a replacement!
GT, RS, R, or ST in a 800 to 900 size! :dance
I can understand your enthusiasm, Eugene. But that again means you only look at new models, and disregard a lot of good choices out there.

Tell me Eugene...is there something wrong with your bike? Something that would make you would feel unethical to sell the bike to someone else? Probably not.

I'm assuming you want to sell your GT some day, and that you're hoping someone will find it worth paying some money for it.

And if only "new" BMWs are a worthwhile consideration...then you should give your BMW to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Another thought would be to put a cardboard sign on it saying, "Free to Good Home". :)

All that is pretty far-fetched...but that's the logical conclusion to me of not considering previously owned and loved BMWs. And in that category of previously owned and loved BMWs are some that are lighter in weight and have lower CGs.

Chris

No not selling it! Love the LOW maintenance. Just like see new models and colors. :wave Past owner of a 04 R1150R too.

Perhaps the solution is not going to lighter rides, but rather it is to go to wider bikes. Five years ago I started pondering the wisdom of going lighter and lower. So, in the intervening years I bought a FJR, a Super Tenere and a R1200GSA (lowered). So far the GSA has been easy to ride and I do not feel my doom is imminent. I do recognize that the clock is running so my last purchase was wider (and slower, much slower). I got a Ural Gear Up with two wheel drive. What a hoot to ride..... think wider.

Back