• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Earphones - help with purchase

dshogman

ER6i's can be bought for $50, Bose for $90.
For those of you who use earphones on your bikes, I don't.
But I'm looking for a good set to use with my new computer. Anyone using the ER6i?? Or should I spend a few more bucks for the Bose set??
Thanks

unless you are a high level audiophile....which I am not, the Etymotics work fantastic for me.They have enough mid range and bass for my ears. The Er6I's noise cancelling seem to keep out all but emergency sirens

Along those lines.....

Not to hijack this, but I too am interested in some ear phones, but need to be able to put them in my N102. Is there a kit out there, or does anyone have any suggestions? I can be pretty creative, but I do not want to take a chance on tearing up a good helmet.

Thanks

er6i's are excellent. Good fidelity (important when listening to Doofus my GPS..), and comfortable under a helmet. Also - block out more ambient noise than my custom made earplugs do. Can't say on the Bose, but IMHO - Bose = PIAA, a triumph of marketing over actual technology.. ;)

For speakers in your helmet (never worked well for me since I always wear earplugs) - RiderWarehouse has them from $15 and up.. I gave up on them, couldn't hear them at speed, and were deafening at lower speeds.

ER6i's can be bought for $50, Bose for $90.
For those of you who use earphones on your bikes, I don't.
But I'm looking for a good set to use with my new computer. Anyone using the ER6i?? Or should I spend a few more bucks for the Bose set??
Thanks

I haven't tried the Bose, and you didn't specify a model - but doing a quick search, the only ones I've found online have a little tab on the body that drop down and attach to the wire. That little tab would be a source of discomfort for me and I'd immediately reject them.

I have both the ER6's and ER6i's. I find the ER6's more comfortable - the silicon tips are softer than the ER6i's are. On the flipside, the ER6i has various size tips available. I've also tried the Shure E2's and E3's, didn't like their bulk and fit in the helmet, even though the sound was good.

Where did you find ER6i's for $50?!?? They are $72+ everywhere I've looked...

er6i guy here and love 'em. be careful when pulling out from ear to grab the earphone and not the wire.:ear

Not to hijack this, but I too am interested in some ear phones, but need to be able to put them in my N102. Is there a kit out there, or does anyone have any suggestions? I can be pretty creative, but I do not want to take a chance on tearing up a good helmet.

Thanks

I don't think I understand the question... earphones slip into your ear and you just pull the helmet on, no need to modify the helmet.

If you mean you want to use earphones with the N-com module, then this would require modifying the speaker/mic insert. You'll be very disappointed though, unless the design changed recently (I see nothing on their website that would support that idea) as it is a mono module even though it has a stereo input jack.

er6i guy here and love 'em. be careful when pulling out from ear to grab the earphone and not the wire.:ear

Well don't yank on them ;) I pull mine out by the wire, slow, steady pull and it comes out just fine. Going on 6 years now with the same pair of ER6's...

If you find it difficult to insert/remove earplugs, and for an overall better (more noise reduction) seal, try some Oto-ease...
http://www.maxiaids.com/store/prodView.asp?idstore=2&idproduct=5583

The ER6i was priced at $50 earlier this week at Amazon. I see it's back up to $76. Glad I bought a couple of pairs...

Oto-ease? I suppose....if you don't want to lick them.

I find the ER6's more comfortable - the silicon tips are softer than the ER6i's are. On the flipside, the ER6i has various size tips available. I've also tried the Shure E2's and E3's, didn't like their bulk and fit in the helmet, even though the sound was good.

And I found the Shure E3s more comfortable than the ER6i's. On a couple of occasions, the helmet pushed the ER6is too far into my ear canal: had to rely on the kindness of strangers to extricate them. I guess it's an individual preference and ear shape.

And I found the Shure E3s more comfortable than the ER6i's. On a couple of occasions, the helmet pushed the ER6is too far into my ear canal: had to rely on the kindness of strangers to extricate them. I guess it's an individual preference and ear shape.

Every ear is definitely different and can change over time, and due to factors such as allergies. A larger tip on the ER6i's might have worked, but if the E3's fit, they are a pretty good earphone. Not sure about their noise reduction rating though...

Earphone price

The ER6i's were on Amazon for $50 for a day or so. Now they're back up to $77.
Whoops - see someone else caught this......

I don't think I understand the question... earphones slip into your ear and you just pull the helmet on, no need to modify the helmet.

If you mean you want to use earphones with the N-com module, then this would require modifying the speaker/mic insert. You'll be very disappointed though, unless the design changed recently (I see nothing on their website that would support that idea) as it is a mono module even though it has a stereo input jack.

What I am basically looking for at this time is earbuds or speakers that I can use while riding. I want something temporary until I can go Bluetooth. I just got my Zumo 550 and am in the process of setting it up. First GPS for me, and will go to Bluetooth when I get a new helmet (unless possible with my N102). I am trying to learn as much as possible from here instead of spending a ton of money until I find a setup, no one near me that has a setup like this.

Once again, a little off the main post, but this seems like the right area to get the info I need. If I am incorrect in doing so, please advise and I will post seperately.

Thanks, Jim

What I am basically looking for at this time is earbuds or speakers that I can use while riding. I want something temporary until I can go Bluetooth. I just got my Zumo 550 and am in the process of setting it up. First GPS for me, and will go to Bluetooth when I get a new helmet (unless possible with my N102). I am trying to learn as much as possible from here instead of spending a ton of money until I find a setup, no one near me that has a setup like this.

Once again, a little off the main post, but this seems like the right area to get the info I need. If I am incorrect in doing so, please advise and I will post seperately.

Thanks, Jim

Not to get this thread too far off-topic (I am still talking earphones here at least), but I've got a N102 with the J&M setup in it and hooked up earphones. With the buffeting at speed on my K75 I never could get the Dynaport speakers loud enough to work without overdriving them, even with an Amplirider. I cut the J&M jacks off and saved them, and soldered a set of Ear-Fuze earphones to the wires inside the helmet where the speakers were. I just put them in, slip on the helmet and all is well. I'm happy with them, I didn't even need the Amplirider to hear the Zumo after I did this.

I would NOT recommend bluetooth with the zumo if you like listening to the XM radio or MP3s, the audio quality will really suffer, mono and lower quality. I tried that with a Scala Rider and wasn't happy with the results.

Every ear is definitely different and can change over time, and due to factors such as allergies. A larger tip on the ER6i's might have worked, but if the E3's fit, they are a pretty good earphone. Not sure about their noise reduction rating though...

I have used the ER6is orange, soft foam tips on the Shure E3s. This is an excellent combination for listening to music and blocking out external noise; actually the best combination I've used for eliminating extraneous noise.

I use earphones 100% of the time on my Zumo 550 with XM setup (using a Shoei Multitec Helmet)... help to keep windnoise to 0 decibels and provide entertainment...

I've used ER6i's for years... I'm on my second set and bought two more sets as backup from Amazon :) ... In fact, used them for a cross country trip (10+ hours of driving a day) with no issues... The only annoyance is if someone tries to talk to you with the helmet and earphones in. I cannot hear them have have to take everything off to have a minor conversation. Plus, they have thinner wires that can sometimes get broken/tangled a little easier (hence why I'm on my second set).

There are nicer sounding units with unique features but cost $$$... for example, I now own the Shure SE535PTH unit. WOW! Bass is even deeper and heaver... plus it has a unique microphone that I can turn on to hear what is happening outside the helmet. However, it may be cost prohibitive for frugal individuals.

Do not use the Bluetooth for XM... it does not support stereo sound.

Anyone said:
I use earphones 100% of the time ... helps to keep windnoise to 0 decibels and provide entertainment...

Not addressed to any one person...

But think about what you are doing.
Wind noise isn't kept to anything. It's being masked.
One noise is overriding another.
Ear buds at a low level in a low level environment is one thing.
In a louder environment you are just adding to the ear damage. :ear

Find a good earplug and listen to the voices in your head.
My earplugs almost touch each other they are so far in.
I used to listen to music but as the novelty wore off so did the 'need'.

For me now it's high speed solitude. Well, me and all my 'inside' friends... :brad

The E6i's come with ear plugs that fit into the ear... with no music, the sound is silence... so then it is up to the user if they want to add music to that environment. There is no "masking"... unless you choose to use surface/external earphones that do not adequately cut off ambient noice. But luckily, the E6i's and other good earphones offer enough options that should fit your ear snug and cut off outside sound... then it is up to the user to keep the music to a low level.

Glad to hear people can ride in silence... definitely not for me... love listening to the radio when I'm on the bike for hours at the time...

Back