• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Disengaging the cruise control

The manual says, and it's what I've always done to great effect, to just twist the throttle forward quickly and then back.

Smooth disengagement, no brake lights. I believe that's how it was designed.

What bike do you have? I don't have that in my bike's manual.
I usually just engage the clutch switch.

Pat - Since you're in Canada, I looked at the English version of the International 2016 RT manual (not USA). Here's a photo of page 68 of that manual:

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 7.18.39 PM.jpg

I do think it's misleading because to disengage the cruise control, you'd need to make a forward twist of the throttle to disengage the control, not "back past the idle position."

I do think it's misleading because to disengage the cruise control, you'd need to make a forward twist of the throttle to disengage the control, not "back past the idle position."

What's misleading?
The statement makes sense to me.

Re: 2017 R1200RT
...rolling the throttle to the max...

It's rolling the throttle PAST OFF that kills CC, not to the max if you mean by max full throttle. That's really an easy way to do it and when you get good at it you don't feel anything one way or the other. I wish I had known that on a 10K mile trip I took right after I got the bike.

What's misleading?
The statement makes sense to me.

Well Lee, it seems to me that "back" is toward the rear of the motorcycle. Rotating the throttle back (in my view towards the rear) is not going to kill the cruise control, but instead increase the speed of the bike.

Well Lee, it seems to me that "back" is toward the rear of the motorcycle. Rotating the throttle back (in my view towards the rear) is not going to kill the cruise control, but instead increase the speed of the bike.

Rolling it off or back seem to be saying the same to me.

I see what you're thinking.

To me throttle back means to decrease throttle.

Pat - Since you're in Canada, I looked at the English version of the International 2016 RT manual (not USA). Here's a photo of page 68 of that manual:

I'm puzzled as the throttle feels like it is against the stop when the cruise is engaged. I'll have to try that.

ExGman to the rescue.

The actual quote in my 2015 manual is "take back throttle beyond back position". Granted, a little confusing. But that's what it means. A quick twist forward and then back to manual acceleration. Doesn't disturb the bike at all and doesn't hit the brake lights at highway speed. It would seem that they attempted to make the wording a little less ambiguous in 2016.

Thanks for posting that ExGman. I was starting to wonder if I had imagined it. Had go go get my manual. Which meant I got to look at the bike. Always nice!

I never remembered abut the clutch. Learned something new today.

View attachment 62615

Last edited:
I'm puzzled as the throttle feels like it is against the stop when the cruise is engaged. I'll have to try that.

It is against its normal "stop". But that is just a feel. You can try this with the bike sitting and not running. Try rolling the throttle as though you wanted the bike to idle slower. Just a slight movement, but a rather positive feel to it. That releases the cruise control and it is more seamless than hitting the brake ( still requires you to get the throttle back to holding the load ), or quickly pulling in the clutch lever which does flare the engine a bit and you still have to get on the throttle if wanting to maintain speed. By rolling the twist grip past idle you are already in position to pick it right back to maintain the load. Or not if you are simply decelerating. Only on a BMW forum could there be this much discussion about releasing the cruise. Tapping the brake, if only momentarily, isn't good manners to some and flaring the rpms by pulling the clutch lever just seems crude. But, they all work so do what you like best. Just try the "roll past idle with the throttle" a couple times.....

I roll on throttle to equal cruise set speed then pull clutch lever just enough for switch activation; as a result, smooth transition between cruise to wrist throttle control. No brake lights or engine speed mismatch lurches.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
This exactly the smoothest method I've found.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My US 2016 R1200RTW throttle twisting---on or off---doesn't release cruise set.

You can speed up without canceling the cruise just like with a car but it should cancel when you fully close the throttle.
Try giving it a little more effort when you close the throttle.
If that doesn't work have the dealer check it out.

My US 2016 R1200RTW throttle twisting---on or off---doesn't release cruise set.

You have to twist definitively PAST off to disengage cruise control on your '16 unless something amiss with it. If you do it real fast you can avoid any lurch or mismatched speed issues--it's real easy to master once you understand how it works.

I roll on throttle to equal cruise set speed then pull clutch lever just enough for switch activation; as a result, smooth transition between cruise to wrist throttle control. No brake lights or engine speed mismatch lurches.

Exactly what I do...by far the smoothest method..your pillion will never even notice.
I roll on the throttle just a touch then pull.the clutch in ever so slightly to disengage the c/c!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'll be darn, you can teach this old dog new tricks. I went on a ride yesterday and decided to try this technique. I've always just snapped the throttle forward then quickly back. The clutch technique as described works great and now I have 2 techniques. The key to the clutch technique is to only pull the lever very slightly.

Exactly what I do...by far the smoothest method..your pillion will never even notice.
I roll on the throttle just a touch then pull.the clutch in ever so slightly to disengage the c/c!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I find the designed-in method, the rapid push past off and back, to be 100% smooth once mastered, which took just a couple tries.

You have to twist definitively PAST off to disengage cruise control on your '16 unless something amiss with it. If you do it real fast you can avoid any lurch or mismatched speed issues--it's real easy to master once you understand how it works.
I tried it today and learned something.
The throttle feels like it's against the stop but there is a little bit of play, almost as if you push against a short spring.
It does however disengage the cruise.

Learned that rolling off throttle beyond idle stop return spring limit does disable cruise control set. Always something new learned every day riding beyond not letting the bike fall over and rest ;-) Thanks for the knowledge everybody.

Back