• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Touring tip

rangerreece

RangerReece
In the spirit of Kevin's old touring tip contribution, I recently came across a tip worthy of sharing.

On my way home from the chicken rally last month, my wife was tracking my movements on the bike as she often does, using her "find a friend app". She became concerned when I stopped moving around Goshen AL. She became even more concerned when she tried calling and texting and got no response, (phone is linked to helmet). So when I pulled in I could see the concern on her face as I dismounted the bike after a long trip. Pulling my phone out of the tank bag I immediately ascertained the problem: phone had shutdown due to overheating in my tank bag. I never realized I was "unconnected" to the phone.

So I thought, "If only my tank bag was air conditioned." At first I dismissed the idea for the obvious reasons, and then as I often do I started thinking outside the box, or in this case, outside the tankbag. My solution: a small freezer block wrapped in a microfiber towel. The solution proved very effective at keeping tankbag temps down, water bottle cool, and to my surprise an additional capability, as the microfiber towel absorbs the condensation, providing a perfect solution for cleaning optics enroute.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Storage of cell phone.

Reese,

I have been on threads like this before and several members posted about keeping the phone on your person in the event of a hard off and separation from the bike. I know the helmet may have a Voice activated system but mine links to the phone through my NAV V and I don't know if damaged or disconnected the phone would link to the com system if NAV V is destroyed. Others may help enlighten on this subject.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Chris

Chris,
Yes I'm familiar with the "tankbag verses on your person argument". An overheated phone on my body would be just as non functional. Also I would imagine a high probability of damage and destruction to the phone during a crash sequence where it would be placed on the body, especially a thigh pocket, a chest pocket may survive an impact scenario. If one needs to cool a phone that was carried in a riding jacket, smaller freezer packs could be used in the pocket to keep the phone and maybe the rider a little cooler.

One additional advantage of having a freezer pack available: ice pack to reduce swelling of an injury readily available. And of course if you keep a pack of Reece's pieces in your tank bag it will keep them from melting.

An additional tip: daisy chain your 550 chord so it's easy to pull off and cut, never gets knotted up. I would have to include a video on how to do it if your unfamiliar with the process.

image.jpg

You could also try something like CrashLight. Part of the EatSleepRIDE app, but you'd wan to keep your phone on your person for that. I do anyway so that I have it with me when I'm getting lunch etc., while on a ride. Prefer to have my wallet and phone on my person rather than leave either on the bike.

In the event of a crash, CrashLight lets you choose your safety team. With no additional devices required, the technology leverages features available in the smart phone to automatically detect a motorcycle crash.

When a crash is detected, it will immediately send notifications to three (3) pre-set contacts with the rider's last known geographical location by SMS text message, automated phone call and email.

The site says it is only available for iOS but I've got it on my Android as part of the EatSleepRIDE app.

Never had my phone over heat while in a pocket. Happened once in my tank bag, so I put it back in my pocket.

Your body temp is going to be lower than a tank bag in direct sunlight. I've had GPS shut down because of high temps ( sitting in the sun ) so I don't see why a cell phone would be any different.

I've always carried my phone on my person, the theory being that if I find myself damaged by the roadside, I'd prefer to avoid having to crawl around to find the phone. Hey, when you fall off and get seriously injured, you'll want to take selfies and text them to your friends while you wait for the medics...

I've always carried my phone on my person, the theory being that if I find myself damaged by the roadside, I'd prefer to avoid having to crawl around to find the phone. Hey, when you fall off and get seriously injured, you'll want to take selfies and text them to your friends while you wait for the medics...

+1 :thumb

I ridden in heat up to the high nineties, always with my phones in my jacket pockets and never had them shut down because of either ambient or my body heat.

Just like ATGATT, having my phone on me is an essential piece of safety equipment, (just in case something unexpected should happen).

Never had my phone over heat while in a pocket. Happened once in my tank bag, so I put it back in my pocket.

I have seen quite a few reports of Iphones overheating in tankbags that have a map case. The clear map pocket can create a lot of solar heat.
Never heard of one overheating in a jacket pocket.

Never had my Android phone overheat in my jacket pocket, but most of the time it's shut off while riding :)
This weekend on the way to and back from the Iowa Rally I left the phone on so I could see how the Smartphone link worked for weather with my NavV. The temps were in the mid to upper 90s while riding and no problems.
The phone was in a inside chest pocket.

In the spirit of Kevin's old touring tip contribution, I recently came across a tip worthy of sharing.

On my way home from the chicken rally last month, my wife was tracking my movements on the bike as she often does, using her "find a friend app". She became concerned when I stopped moving around Goshen AL. She became even more concerned when she tried calling and texting and got no response, (phone is linked to helmet). So when I pulled in I could see the concern on her face as I dismounted the bike after a long trip. Pulling my phone out of the tank bag I immediately ascertained the problem: phone had shutdown due to overheating in my tank bag. I never realized I was "unconnected" to the phone.

So I thought, "If only my tank bag was air conditioned." At first I dismissed the idea for the obvious reasons, and then as I often do I started thinking outside the box, or in this case, outside the tankbag. My solution: a small freezer block wrapped in a microfiber towel. The solution proved very effective at keeping tankbag temps down, water bottle cool, and to my surprise an additional capability, as the microfiber towel absorbs the condensation, providing a perfect solution for cleaning optics enroute.

View attachment 56848View attachment 56849
Good idea on cooling, especially for water. I use an InReach SE for my wife to track.

I also use the INReach system so my wife can tell where I am at. Works great! Also works in areas outside of cell coverage... not uncommon in the mountains. Cell phone in holster on my belt has never overheated In the Arizona heat.

Reece.....a great idea for sure, although I have not as yet encountered temps to shut down my iphone , and on our latest trip we were travelling in temps of 100*f plus

All good stuff. Touring tips everywhere. Lots of things to consider. Last night I cut to size a flat black vinel and placed it on my clear map case on my tank bag. I've found the tank bag throws up a lot of glare and reflection. I think the vinel will also extend the life of the tankbag map cover regarding bleaching by the sun. I'll try to post a pick later.

Same glare situation on my GSA with a BMW tankbag. My solution was to mask and spray the clear plastic with flat black wrap. This stuff readily peels off if you decide you want the clear to read maps. In my case the glare was very distracting so the flat black paint remains. The black coating has weathered rain and heat for the past year with no issues.

If/when I sell the bag I will then peel it off.

Gretchen and I got to experience our first ride in the rain today.

image.jpg

As promised; here's a picture of the flat black vinel solution for the tankbag I promised yesterday. Seems to work fine, even rain tested today.

As promised; here's a picture of the flat black vinel solution for the tankbag I promised yesterday. Seems to work fine, even rain tested today.

Do you mean vinyl?
If you are trying to keep the tank bag cooler you should try a reflective or lighter color like silver.

Same glare situation on my GSA with a BMW tankbag. My solution was to mask and spray the clear plastic with flat black wrap. This stuff readily peels off if you decide you want the clear to read maps. In my case the glare was very distracting so the flat black paint remains. The black coating has weathered rain and heat for the past year with no issues.

If/when I sell the bag I will then peel it off.

What product is "flat black wrap" ? What is it normally used for? I am not familiar with that term, but it may well be an answer to a glaring problem.

Back