• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Split fuel filter

2013-09-23 004.jpg

Obvious as to why my 96 R1100RT has not been running well. I realize that the fuel injection system is under pressure, but you would think a hose would have blown first. Has anyone else encountered this particular event?

When BMW first came out with the K bikes the filters were stamped with part numbers - stamped into the metal as opposed to painted or printed on. The things split frequently. They went to printed marking.

Nonetheless, the filters do break occasionally in both K bikes and Oilheads.

Is that an OEM filter? If not, what is it?

Replace the filter. Then if it were my bike I'd give it a fuel pressure test by "T"ing into the fuel line from the pump before the regulator. I forget the spec - something just a bit under or over 40 psi for sure but I forget if it is 42 or 36 - one for oilheads and the other for K bikes. If it is much higher it is a regulator problem.

Yep, what he said:

Probably a defect, but I would check the pressure, or have it done at a shop.

The filter will take almost 200 psi. I know that for a fact. It won't take any amount of water in the fuel to start the aluminum oxide corrosion, that you can see on the nipple of the filter in the picture.

It also can't take more than a few minutes of "surging" in the fuel system. Something like a chattering pressure relief regulator kills them pretty quick.

Best to get the system checked thoroughly. But, then again, I was a Bosch rep for the last little while dealing with warranty and yours is no real surprise. Bosch makes very little on their own. Most of Bosch is outsourced.

That is an old filter by the way. The stamping didn't contribute to the failure. "Buy Bosch, It's German Engineered", made in Mexico.

One simple thing that can do that is if the supply hose isn't fully "clicked" at the disconnect. It would be pumping into a deadhead. But usually a hose blows off.

Been there, done that. 94 R1100RS. Cat turned bright red and bike wouldn't run.

When my hose split, same type of thing. Your cat turned bright red due to the mixture getting so lean it misfired, leaving gas and air to burn in the cat. Cost me a catalytic converter on my Xterra when it happened and I ignored it ...

In case you pressure test.
R oilhead regulator: 3 bar or 43.5PSI
K bikes: 3.5 bar or 50.7 PSI

Not sure but I think if you measure pump side you'll see higher pressures than above.
Post regulator side should be close to spec.

I was toying with the idea of mounting a k bike regulator in my RT to see what would happen.

Back