• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Northern Arkansas meandering route input needed

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Glenlivet and I will be lingering in northern Arkansas for 2-3 days on our way to the rally. Years ago Barley and I rode through the area enroute to the Sedalia rally, but the area was drought-stricken and miserably hot, so it was more of a pass through. This time we'd like to explore a bit. We'll be coming from MO, and will cross into AR at Mammoth Spring and take 9 south past Melbourne to catch a lovely stretch of twisties, up 5 almost to Norfolk, then 341 over Push Mountain. Connecting with 14 we'll go north to Yellville...and beyond that point I can't make up my mind.

Glenlivet doesn't like rough dirt roads as they shake him around in the tub. Having lived in a tourist town I'm not a fan of organized tourism. Bearing in mind that my planned routes traditionally serve as baselines subject to change upon input from locals we meet along the way - or sometimes just following an interesting cloud - here are a couple options I'm considering.

Plan A from Yellville:
Hwy 235 to Western Grove, then 123 all the way south to Hagarville (probably camping at Haw Creek Falls)
Scoot west to Clarksville then 103 and 215 to Oark and Cass
From Cass, 23 north to 74 east, then either 43 at Ponca or 74 at Hanson north to Harrison
7 and 125 north into MO via the ferry

Plan B from Yellville:
US62/65 to Harrison
7 south to Deer, then 16 west to 23
23 north to 74, then 43 to Harrison

Side roads? Alternatives? Decent camping? Must see places along the way?

All good. I do suggest getting a official Arkansas Highway map, available free at the welcome centers. I like the map because it lists the scenic highways and byways. Lots of mom&pop motels, restaurants, and other little shops on your routes. The Ozarks are nice to meander thru and around. Enjoy the ride.

Glenlivet and I will be lingering in northern Arkansas for 2-3 days on our way to the rally. Years ago Barley and I rode through the area enroute to the Sedalia rally, but the area was drought-stricken and miserably hot, so it was more of a pass through. This time we'd like to explore a bit. We'll be coming from MO, and will cross into AR at Mammoth Spring and take 9 south past Melbourne to catch a lovely stretch of twisties, up 5 almost to Norfolk, then 341 over Push Mountain. Connecting with 14 we'll go north to Yellville...and beyond that point I can't make up my mind.

Glenlivet doesn't like rough dirt roads as they shake him around in the tub. Having lived in a tourist town I'm not a fan of organized tourism. Bearing in mind that my planned routes traditionally serve as baselines subject to change upon input from locals we meet along the way - or sometimes just following an interesting cloud - here are a couple options I'm considering.

Plan A from Yellville:
Hwy 235 to Western Grove, then 123 all the way south to Hagarville (probably camping at Haw Creek Falls)
Scoot west to Clarksville then 103 and 215 to Oark and Cass
From Cass, 23 north to 74 east, then either 43 at Ponca or 74 at Hanson north to Harrison

Plan B from Yellville:
US62/65 to Harrison
7 south to Deer, then 16 west to 23
23 north to 74, then 43 to Harrison

Side roads? Alternatives? Decent camping? Must see places along the way?

All of that looks good except hwy 62/65 but that's a short section.
I don't know where Hanson is.

If you did not spend time in Mammoth Spring before, check out the Spring.
Mammoth Springs (2).JPG

Mammoth Springs (5).jpg

Mammoth Springs (8).jpg

Mammoth Springs (9).jpg

If you're near Ponca early morning or late afternoon you might see Elk at Boxley valley along the Buffalo River.

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

Yes most of the welcome centers have a section on motorcycle routes, good stuff. U might as well get several state maps. I do. I cut’m to size to fit my tank bag. It helps to figure Ur time and distance. That the fun of meandering.

Get ya one of these and it'll tell you where you want to be for good riding. I have them for NorCal, SoCal, Oregon, Washington and AZ and they're excellent.

https://butlermaps.com/motorcycle-road-maps/ozarks-map/

They have a whole series, so they probably have something for your local riding, too. I learned about roads nearby that I'd never explored, despite being here 22 years and trying to see everything.

https://butlermaps.com/shop/motorcycle-maps/g1-motorcycle-maps/

I hope that's helpful.

Ponca to Jasper on 74 is very good.
Continue east on 74 to 123 and turn north.
Jog over and take 235 to Yellville, then 14 and 125 to the ferry.

If you take 7 north out of Jasper to Harrison the first 10 miles is very good.

Get ya one of these and it'll tell you where you want to be for good riding. I have them for NorCal, SoCal, Oregon, Washington and AZ and they're excellent.

https://butlermaps.com/motorcycle-road-maps/ozarks-map/

They have a whole series, so they probably have something for your local riding, too. I learned about roads nearby that I'd never explored, despite being here 22 years and trying to see everything.

https://butlermaps.com/shop/motorcycle-maps/g1-motorcycle-maps/

I hope that's helpful.

Thanks, Dave. I should have mentioned that I have the full set and use them a lot for planning. I find them much more useful than state-published maps at distinguishing between technical rides and shopping excursions.

Pete

Thanks, Dave. I should have mentioned that I have the full set and use them a lot for planning. I find them much more useful than state-published maps at distinguishing between technical rides and shopping excursions.

Pete

Cool, man. I've found them super duper useful when we've had guests. A neighbor just moved in and he's a Porsche 911 from SoCal, so I gave him my NorCal map and encouraged him to ask me questions about any of the roads.

I like to use Butler maps to see the good roads.
I also use the Rever app. The paid version of the Rever app lets you see a Butler Map overlay on the computer or mobile device.

Screenshot (43).png

Oark has gas, 87.
20201016_132609.jpg

We usually go a few miles south of Cass and get gas at Turner Bend.
They have a nice little store if you need any supplies.
Turner Bend (2).jpg

Back