• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

eyeglasses and helmet choice

I wear glasses and don't have a problem with any helmet, at least as far as the glasses are concerned. YMWV

Bought a system 1 back in '85 for eyeglass ease. never looked back, any weight or other issue is easily trumped by convenience. Love the built-in sun visor in the new modulars. And being able to open it and talk, drink or snack without taking off the helmet is a bonus.

So, I have an Arai XD3 (full face) and two modular helmets and I wear glasses. I wear a modular 99% of the time because i hate taking off my glasses, and I like to be able to communicate with others when I stop. That said, I now make sure I try on new glasses with my helmet before I buy to ensure I get a good fit with my helmet.

Wear what make you feel safe and comfortable, and what fits best with your eyewear.

I wear the C3 and no problems whatsoever putting on or taking off the helmet with my glasses on. There is no conflict with glasses. The flip up also makes it easier to adjust your glasses while the helmet is helmet on.
Two other things to consider: 1) if you plan to use helmet speakers for a COMM system, and 2) ventilation.
If you are planning to install COMM speakers, make sure the cutouts work well and dont cause the helmet liner to press on your ears once the speakers are installed. It becomes very painful after a few hours of riding if your helmet is pinching your ears around your glasses frame.
And you need very good ventilation. . .even though the helmet visor may not fog, in borderline conditions your GLASSES may still fog in a helmet that doesnt ventilate well. Helmets with a pinlock system as their primary means to prevent fogging (ventilation just OK, not great) may be a real problem for glasses-wearers.
I've had no problems with the C3, which does use a pinlock system but also ventilates very well.

I own and use both types- full face and modular (Shoei RF and Neotec, Nolan 103 and many other types for use in cars rather than bikes). I also own a piar of BMWs and regularly ride and service a couple others, using my bikes for routine transporation rather than recreation only.

You got good advice originally. As a group, modulars are heavier and not as safe- aren't certified by all groups, for example. My Neotec is the better part of a lb heavier than my RFs and the difference is definitely noticeable.
So it is not my pick much of the time.

Many modulars are also well known for odd fits and hard liners (the Schuberts, for example) or being noisier (the Nolans) than typical full face designs.

I also use glasses and it is trivial to use glasses with any of my helmets simply by making sure the frames have straight ear pieces rather than hooked ones (I use some very high tech and pricey ones that actually are probably a bargain being very light and indestructable, outlasting several sets of lens and probably good for at least another decade still) I've used such frames for many years in many types of helmets with no problems. I can't put a properly fitted helmet on without taking my glasses off first no matter what style the helmet is, but slipping them on through the eyeport is very simple, no odd gyrations required.

To me, the only advantage of the modular is saving a few seconds and staying cool while fueling or otherwise stopped- so modulars are fine for long trips if you don't mind the added weight. Not my choice for shorter runs and certainly not for track use, even if they were allowed.

Some modulars complicate fitting certain bluetooth comm sytems or come wih rather oddball systms of their own. With the rapid evolution of inexpenisve add on bluetooth comm sets, I prefer the ability to easiyl fit or upgrade the more universal aftermarket units rather than a helmet makers pick..I currently use the G-9 and have been able to mount it on either the Neotec or RF with no issues.

I own a N104. Always wear sunglasses and never even tried to put on the helmet with the shades in place. I've slid the glasses on with just the visor up, but it is easier with the chin bar up. This my first modular and it is a bit nosier than I would prefer, but the ventilation is very good and I like the wide eye opening.

I own and use both types- full face and modular (Shoei RF and Neotec, Nolan 103 and many other types for use in cars rather than bikes). I also own a piar of BMWs and regularly ride and service a couple others, using my bikes for routine transporation rather than recreation only.

You got good advice originally. As a group, modulars are heavier and not as safe- aren't certified by all groups, for example. My Neotec is the better part of a lb heavier than my RFs and the difference is definitely noticeable.
So it is not my pick much of the time.

Many modulars are also well known for odd fits and hard liners (the Schuberts, for example) or being noisier (the Nolans) than typical full face designs.

I also use glasses and it is trivial to use glasses with any of my helmets simply by making sure the frames have straight ear pieces rather than hooked ones (I use some very high tech and pricey ones that actually are probably a bargain being very light and indestructable, outlasting several sets of lens and probably good for at least another decade still) I've used such frames for many years in many types of helmets with no problems. I can't put a properly fitted helmet on without taking my glasses off first no matter what style the helmet is, but slipping them on through the eyeport is very simple, no odd gyrations required.

To me, the only advantage of the modular is saving a few seconds and staying cool while fueling or otherwise stopped- so modulars are fine for long trips if you don't mind the added weight. Not my choice for shorter runs and certainly not for track use, even if they were allowed.

Some modulars complicate fitting certain bluetooth comm sytems or come wih rather oddball systms of their own. With the rapid evolution of inexpenisve add on bluetooth comm sets, I prefer the ability to easiyl fit or upgrade the more universal aftermarket units rather than a helmet makers pick..I currently use the G-9 and have been able to mount it on either the Neotec or RF with no issues.

As usual Racer 7 has got it right! Modulars, less safe, come on guys it is 2 pieces with hinges, much heavier and louder. My wife has a Multi-tec and I've tried it! Nope!

I wear Panoptx prescription (Now called 7 Eye) sunglasses with a full removable eyecup airdam, photochromatic (they go clear in the dark and dark in the light) and are progressive bi-focals all in one. I can see long distance and still read my gauges and Nav. And If I stop at a restaurant I only need to have this pair with me to read the menu!. I wear a Shoei RF1100 with JM Premium speakers installed and always wear earplugs. Taking the glasses on and off to don or remove the helmet is very easy. No fuss no muss , they slide right in and out!. The RF1100 has channels built-in for glasses.

So what is the big deal about having to take your glasses on and off to put on or take off your helmet? Seems really petty and lazy to me!

Maybe you guys should wear some receptacles for bodily functions so you don't have to unzip your pants!!!!:D Wow!

Did you ask him, if they are so unsafe, why does the company he work for still sell them.

My first helmet as a FF Shoei. PITA when it came time to put it on or take it off because of my glasses. Especially since my normal driving glasses are titanium wire frameless. Since then, I've bought nothing but modular. Current one is a C3.

As far as crashing, I know a couple folks who have crashed while wearing modulars. They're still alive, and no damage to the chin portion of the helmet.

There is a difference between being UNsafe and being NOT-AS-safe. :)

So what is the big deal about having to take your glasses on and off to put on or take off your helmet? Seems really petty and lazy to me!

i can't speak for the other guys, but with me it's a matter of my glasses not slipping in and fitting right once the helmet is on my head. it feels like i am mangling them.

that's why i asked for other people's experiences, so i could make my own determination and examine some other helmet options, rather than just taking one salesman's word.

thanks,

-eric

that's why i asked for other people's experiences, so i could make my own determination and examine some other helmet options, rather than just taking one salesman's word.

The bottom line is that YOU have to decide, what anybody else says is pointless, salesman or not.

what anybody else says is pointless

not in my case. i appreciate hearing other peoples' advice, and several of the replies to my original question have given me a few things to consider that i had not thought about. i certainly don't know it all, and in this case, i know very little.

when i last rode bikes (i had several old harleys since 1975 and a '76 R75/6 for most of the 80s but sold them all in '92 to raise a family) helmet choices were a lot more limited and the one FF helmet i was given by a friend was not much more than a shell with minimal padding, no ventilation and a flimsy shield. but i mostly used an old half-shell police helmet or went helmetless.

now that i have rejoined the ranks of motorcyclists, the helmet choices are much more diverse, and i benefit from seeing what other peoples' experiences are.

thanks,

-eric

FWIW, my Nolan plays havoc with my glasses more than the C3, but the C3 is harder to put on.

Ideally, you should have glasses just for when you ride or drive. Now that most frames are made in China, you can pick up frames for a decent price.

As an Optician, I would recommend that you start with your glasses. Or at least the frames. For example, my 30 year old Carrera frames work perfectly with both of my helmets(Nolan N100E and Schurberth C3) because they have plain, smooth temples. My other glasses(John Lennon) have arched temple pieces and don't work worth a darn with any helmet I have tried on.

Don't worry about the brand of the frames because most well known companies have been bought out and the quality is lacking to compared to twenty years ago. The important thing is that the frames fit you and are comfortable. Any frame problems will be compounded by your helmet. Look for frames with plain temples and strong hinges. I would also stay away from any frames that do not enclose the lens. That includes Rimlon frames too.

When it comes to lens, you have many options to choose from. A poly lens with a good quality AR coating would be my first choice. Many of the less costly coatings do not hold up well, so don't cut cost in this area. Personally, I use Crizal.

Other features for your glasses are a matter of personal choice. If your glasses darken in sunlight, the visor of your new helmet may block UV rays and keep that from happening. Also, if your glasses are polarized, you may have problems with some helmet visors.

In a perfect world, you should be able to don or remove your modular helmet from the rear of your head and also by rolling the helmet up and forward without disturbing your glasses. Please let us know what helmet you end up with. Maybe even a picture:)

not in my case. i appreciate hearing other peoples' advice, and several of the replies to my original question have given me a few things to consider that i had not thought about. i certainly don't know it all, and in this case, i know very little.

Nobody else has your head shape and that's why only you can find your own answer. Your head is the big variable. I've been hearing about people with glasses/helmet trouble for years, but have never experienced any trouble at all myself. This includes MANY helmets and MANY pairs of glasses.

For the first time in this thread, I've heard people say they don't want to take their glasses off to put their helmet on. That's a different problem than whether or not their glasses fit under their helmet, isn't it?

doggone if i know, tom. but it seems silly to spend so much time going on and on about it, so i'll let it go.

i just traded the RS1 for a nolan N104 and it fits great, i put it on my head while leaving my glasses on, and after closing the chin piece my glasses feel a whole lot better than they did under the RS1.

thanks everybody for your input!

-eric

I like ArgentBicks comments about getting the right kind of frames. I am one of those lucky folks who is a bit far sighted in one eye and near sighted in the other- so really need my glasses only to improve depth perception at night. I can (having forgotten to put them on) operate a vehicle comfortably at speeds well north of 150 without them. But the difference a really well made and well chosen set of frames makes in comfort, durability and utility is astonishing. Years ago I had stuff with spring loaded ear pieces, rimless to reduce weight, etc and thought all of them had various defects. I'm a scientist by training with many hours using some of the world's finest crafted optical tools so am accustomed to the "good stuff"- and thought most of the frames were pretty crude junk. even the expensive ones. Then, I moved and got a different optometrist who is about as fussy and opinionated about frames as I am. What I use now are 2 kinds of Mykita frames, made in Germany, Screwless hinges, extraordinarily light, and rugged nearly beyond belief- I really believe these could be a "lifetime" item as mine have already outlasted a couple sets of high end lenses. For the lens, I am also lucky enough to be able to get very thin and light plastics to keep weight down and get the benefits of reduced reflections, etc etc from the best of modern technology. My second pair is sunglasses in a slightly larger but otherwise identical frame, made in amber polarized for top performance for fishing.

If you're reading this, its likely you bought a pricier than average BMW motorcycle when you could have a less expensive Japanese brand. Presumably you spent the extra $ because you appreciate the difference and have a taste for higher end stuff. So you might find it worthwhile to spend some time with one of the good optical shops in your area (probably a local independent rather than one of the chain type at your local WalMart) and get some info on the high end stuff available these days. I don't spend extra $ just because I can and was a bit dubious about the cost of the frames I currently use- but my optometrist was so enthusiastic about them and used them himself so I took the chance- when a pro picks something for his personal use, its generallyworth a closer look! One of the smarter things I've done for sure and perhaps not the best business choice for him because they look ready to last forever when I'd be on my 3rd set of some other type. Soemwhere out there is probably your ideal set that you just haven't found, yet.

I got another data point on modulars today. Mid morning, the buddy who first bought a Neotec and showed it to me stopped by so I could take a look at his 05RT that had an erratic idle issue. While I was hooking up my GS-911 and looking at the bike, I told him I had bought a Neotec exactly like his. And without my asking any questions about it, he said that while he liked his Neotec, he missed the lighter weight of his older full face type.

As a track instructor (cars), I have seen the chin bars of full face helmets shattered on impacts yet they protected the user from any jaw injury. This gives me pause about using a modular as my only helmet. My Neotec does not carry a full set of ratings from all certifying groups and though it appears decently made, I have to wonder about its potential performance in a hard chin area hit. Chin area hits make up slightly less than 1/5 of impacts, according to published data, so this is not a trivial difference. What part of such impacts might be hard enough to break the chin piece is not known but, like I said, I've seen it for full face ones so it certainly is possible. Still, any good helmet is way ahead of those worthless pots favored by some. I've never even had my bell rung in any vehicle impact and have never had a significant track crash or any on the street on a motorcycle in 50 years of riding. But prepping for the worst can save your life. I've never personally tested how well my HANS device works in track crunches but I had and was using one from the time they were introduced. I pretty much lost all respect for NASCAR as a sanctioning body when it took them 4 preventable deaths to adopt that device that had been mandatory in the much faster F1 cars since its introduction and had already allowed F1 drivers to survive crashes with greater than 200 G forces. Especially after one sees the test data and films for the HANS, you have to wonder at such arrogance- the device's ability to prevent lethal head/neck separation is extraordinary- so much so that several other similar safety research programs in progress for F1 were immediately halted when the HANS data became available as it was completely clear that it was going to be somewhere between difficult and impossible to design something any better, let alone at that low price point...

racer 7, my biggest problem with glasses is getting a pair of progressives that has more than a degree or two of beamwidth for any particular mode. for example, in order to read a book or my laptop screen, the usable area of the lens is so small that i have to move my head instead of my eyes. same with the distance and middle areas. i am always cocking my head at weird angles just to find the tiny area of lens that works. i've been to three different eye doctors in the past six years and they all end up the same. maybe i should go for regular old bifocals.

i thought about lasik but then i'd have to live the rest of my life with a pair of reading glasses tethered around my neck. my dad had cataract surgery and they fixed him up with a long-distance left eye and a "reading" right eye. as weird as it sounds, he said his brain got used to it, so maybe i'll have a look at contacts that use the same idea.

but i've been wearing glasses since 2nd grade, and i'm 55 now, so i'm used to them.

btw, my bike is a '76 R90/6 that's a fixer-upper, but it is one of the (potential) finer things in a way i guess.

-eric

i've been to three different eye doctors in the past six years and they all end up the same. maybe i should go for regular old bifocals.

Bifocals can be very hard to get used to. I gave up after a month when I started wearing them 20 years ago. What happens is that you suddenly look through the alternate focal length and your brain can't process it. It's easy to become disoriented and fall down. I guess I lucked out with optometrists, I've got a good one and she can dial the progressives right in.

And to racer's point, I use an old world optical shop that looks straight out of 1955. The old German guy there, who rides, is a huge help at picking out the right hardware. He "gets" it. If he isn't around on the day I go, I wait until he is. That said, the big chains do have good people working for them, but getting one of them is a crap shoot. I had a good one for awhile, but they wanted to promote her. She had no intention of being promoted, but they gave her no choice. She left.

he said the modulars are not as safe in a crash as a one-piece. he also said the one-piece is lighter gerenally.

He had a helmet he wanted to sell you.

Both of those comments are generalizations that may be true of one pair of helmets and not true of another pair of helmets.

I use a Nolan 103 and can put it on and off with my glasses on.

I wear the aviator style with the bayonet temples. The frames are by American Optical and they have a presence on the web.

Note: using this type glasses frame I have been able to don every style of helmet, full face, 3/4, and modular while wearing glasses.

Back