• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My demo ride on the new Waterhead GS!

gs H2O

ran back way to Prescott today going up in dynamic mode at higher then 70 recorded 40 MPG came home in Rain mode and recorded 58 MPG Left a friend drive it for 30 mi and he is on the phone to buy one. If you test a demo with standard suspension beware the auto adj ESA is the difference of night and day.

H2o gs

Mine is back ordered.....I too am like a kid waiting fo Christmas. I am tracking it like a UPS parcel. Almost on the ship....Thunder Grey Metalic, touring package, LED aux lights and top case. I will get the other cases later. Ride safe Gents.

S

A member of the Pelican S forum test rode the new GS and loved it. He did have one concern, on a cool day he felt a fair amount of heat on the riders area from the radiators.

A member of the Pelican S forum test rode the new GS and loved it. He did have one concern, on a cool day he felt a fair amount of heat on the riders area from the radiators.

It'll be interesting to see what its like in August in the Deep South.

This is the one thing I'm most interested to hear about with regards to the new waterhead. Where is it going to direct the heat from the motor. Especially on the RT version that won't be as accomodating with cool air.

received my GS yesterday Has cruise control and all the rest except blue tooth, led head light and TPM Got the side cases and top box and crash bars put 50 mi in the dirt today it is amasing how well the bike tracks in the sand dirt rocks and up hill. I put it in Enduro mode and it really works. Tires are the new Metzlers which wont be out to the stores till april they are great and stick on the dry pavement like glue. I'm 70 yrs had many very good bike but this one has me the most excited and wanting to head out every day. It is comfortable and is very quick. Electronic throttle is the best-you have very, very good control. Over 200mi and tomorrow 150 plus mon 325 then to the shop for service. Can't wait to get up in the morning!

And that's why I won't test ride one!:wow

The engine and transmission are a single unit with a vertically split case - there is no "between". As mentioned and illustrated above, the alternator is mounted on the crankshaft (above the transmission) and appears to be accessible without splitting the cases or removing the engine. I think oversize pistons stopped being an option a couple decades ago with the introduction of Nikasil cylinder plating.

There is a picture in the new issue of BMW Motorcycle magazine which appears to clearly show the alternator inside the case and not accessible without separating the transmission from the engine. I checked with my local BMW dealer. The tech who said he has just gotten training on the new boxer stated that the engine must be removed to replace the alternator. At least 4 to 5 hours for the labor alone. Kind of like replacing a clutch. Except that clutches, at least the old style dry plate units are basically bullet proof in normal use, while alternators though mostly reliable are more prone to failure.
I'm not trying to chill anyone's enthusiasm for the new model. I'm very certain that it's a fine bike. I just don't understand their logic here....but they didn't ask me anyway.

Probably obvious, but the radiators do have electric fans behind them. Not just exclusively police bikes any more.

As regards, the alternator, clearly there's no belt adjustment. I'd even doubt there are brushes to replace, but don't know that for sure.

Bosch can build nearly indestructable alternators if given the funding. My son still runs my old 1988 Mercedes 300TE that's still on its original alternator. It's not the same as chebbies and fords. I recall once replacing the failed Delco starter on my Opel with a Bosch from a junkyard. That many more subsequent miles with no problems.

I'd agree expectations of BMW aren't as high as they maybe used to be, but surely the alternator will make it past the warranty period. (!)

Frankly, I think there's unfounded expectations that anything automotive can be bulletproof. I nevertheless always hasten to add that a German vehicle is usually closer to being a Ferrari than it is a Camry. Some TLC required, but oh the fun! But if you want to talk yourself out of one, you certainly can.

Probably obvious, but the radiators do have electric fans behind them.

Fan, not fans. There is a fan on the right side, none on the left. I believe it is thermostat controlled. Also, coolant flows from left to right so the fan is on the cool half of the split radiator.

p90104994.jpg

This is the one thing I'm most interested to hear about with regards to the new waterhead. Where is it going to direct the heat from the motor. Especially on the RT version that won't be as accomodating with cool air.

The Gen 1 KRS/KGT had a dual radiator set up. I owned one and I did notice the heat on hot days, but only if I let my knee get way out in the breeze for a stretch.

I'll bet the new GS/RT will direct the heat in a similar way.

As regards, the alternator, clearly there's no belt adjustment. I'd even doubt there are brushes to replace, but don't know that for sure.

Bosch can build nearly indestructable alternators if given the funding. My son still runs my old 1988 Mercedes 300TE that's still on its original alternator. It's not the same as chebbies and fords. I recall once replacing the failed Delco starter on my Opel with a Bosch from a junkyard. That many more subsequent miles with no problems.

I'd agree expectations of BMW aren't as high as they maybe used to be, but surely the alternator will make it past the warranty period. (!)

Frankly, I think there's unfounded expectations that anything automotive can be bulletproof. I nevertheless always hasten to add that a German vehicle is usually closer to being a Ferrari than it is a Camry. Some TLC required, but oh the fun! But if you want to talk yourself out of one, you certainly can.

Yeah, if it makes it past the warranty period, its your problem. I'd rather it fail sooner so its their problem and I've got time to dump it.

H2O heat

was 49 at 7am in Prescott bike is cooler to ride then K13GT or R12RT the temp went up to 85 here in Phoenix valley. Ride was not hot did not feel heat from raditors. hand grips on high at 50 deg at 70 MPH felt like K13GT on low setting

was 49 at 7am in Prescott bike is cooler to ride then K13GT or R12RT the temp went up to 85 here in Phoenix valley. Ride was not hot did not feel heat from raditors. hand grips on high at 50 deg at 70 MPH felt like K13GT on low setting

Ride it this summer and get back to us.

You need heated grips at 50˚? :) It was 92 on the way home on the 202 today. I really don't notice the engine heat as much as the lack of airflow. The Calsci XL was great in Iowa, not so much here.

Back