• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT Hannigan Trike Conversion ??

rkildu

I am seriously considering making this conversion. I have a 2003 1150RT and I am not getting any younger. Can anyone with experience advise me, good or bad.?

Thanks
Rod

No direct experience, but I would suggest you find a S/TEP training class to understand the difference in handling. I took this course when I first added a sidecar and the majority of the group were in trikes. The class offered smaller (250cc) trikes for those who didn't have their own.
As for Hannigan, I'm very pleased with their product.
Dollar-wise you may want to shop for a completed trike as opposed to converting you bike.

Bob, thanks for the input. I am looking for a class. I got a chance to ride the Hannigan K1600 Trike at the RA Rally in Harrison, AR, but just around the infield there. I never got out of second gear.

I have done some searches on line and completed rigs, even used, are as expensive as a small car! High 20's into to the 30K range. I can convert mine for about 11K. Besides I know how to work on it. I also don't have garage room for an additional Motorcycle.

Rod

Bob, thanks for the input. I am looking for a class. I got a chance to ride the Hannigan K1600 Trike at the RA Rally in Harrison, AR, but just around the infield there. I never got out of second gear.

I have done some searches on line and completed rigs, even used, are as expensive as a small car! High 20's into to the 30K range. I can convert mine for about 11K. Besides I know how to work on it. I also don't have garage room for an additional Motorcycle.

Rod

2004RT with a Hannigan kit on it in the Louisville, KY craigslist

Darkcloud,

I went looking but I cannot find it there. There was a K1200 Hannigan, but still over my budget.

Rod

https://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/5906071369.html

$11K, 13472 miles

00V0V_dfjxnbYdTja_600x450.jpg

Ah, mystery solved.

Unfortunately Mama says no sidecar. I think she saw too many Keystone Cops films back in the day. Anyway, I think I prefer a trike myself.

Rod

Ah, mystery solved.

Unfortunately Mama says no sidecar. I think she saw too many Keystone Cops films back in the day. Anyway, I think I prefer a trike myself.

You might consider having Mama take a test ride in a sidecar, from someone near you who is a sidecarist--she might change her mind. I say that because age can increase the difficulty of mounting/dismounting for passengers, much like it can make it increasingly more difficult for the pilot to keep a two-wheeler upright. Mama might gain an appreciation for the seating comfort and weather protection offered by the sidecar, as well as her own unobstructed view of the road ahead. I know my wife and I travel far more miles every year in the S/C rig than we ever did two-up, some of them in cold/wet weather that would have had her turning down a two-up trip. Just another factor to consider if you are looking at a vehicle change to help extend your travel future.

Best,
DG

Back