• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

opine on GPS mount pls

the Wizard of Oz
so I bought a Ram mount system for my Garmin Zumo 550 including a smaller ball attachment that fits the socket in the OEM Garmin plastic cradle. You may be familiar. The cradle is a simple "U" shape into which the gps unit clicks at the center top and bottom.

Standing still it's perfect.

Whaddayathimk if I hit a bump...or a couple-a-few big big bumps? Is the oem cradle safe...at all? or should I bite Mr. Bullet and get a more secure cradle?

thanx.

Last edited:
I have a Zumo 550 parked in the Garmin cradle, which is connected to a Techmount mount. It has been through some serious off road adventures, the kind throwing the XM radio antenna off its mounting plate. But the Zumo cradle has never cracked or failed to not hold the 550. Would mention I did cut out and tuck an old mouse pad between the Zumo cradle and Techmount mount for a little extra cushion.

so I bought a Ram mount system for my Garmin Zumo 550 including a smaller ball attachment that fits the socket in the OEM Garmin plastic cradle. You may be familiar. The cradle is a simple "U" shape into which the gps unit clicks at the center top and bottom.

Standing still it's perfect.

Whaddayathimk if I hit a bump...or a couple-a-few big big bumps? Is the oem cradle safe...at all? or should I bite Mr. Bullet and get a more secure cradle?

thanx.

My K has had that mount for seven years. Rock solid.

Garmin Cradle is fine for me

My dealer replaced one of the handlebar bolts with one with a ball head. A two headed arm clamps that ball and the ball on the Garmin cradle. Either the long or short arm puts the unit in view, even when the fast-attach BMW tank bag is in place. Short arm may be a bit more secure.

This is for touring use, as i don't take the RT off-road.

I may go back to the short arm as it exposes more of the speedometer ... But then the Garmin is more accurate, so i will leave it, i suppose.

If the bag is expanded, i may have a problem seeing the Garmin. I must try this...

No problems with RAM mount

I have a Garmin 60csx cradled in a post type RAM mount, It is attached to crossbar on my 650gs. Many miles off pavement, thru the woods, many spills and I haven't lost the Garmin yet.

yes, but...

my real Q is what about the oem garmin cradle? the shallow "U" shaped device that clips to the GPS unit itself and has a socket in back.

It seems solld enough and only allows the unit to release when pulled straight back or when twisted. two things that seem unlikely to happen as the result of riding...but I'd like to be more certain.

thanx again, all

Last edited:
?

I'm a bit confused. My 550 came with a car mount and a special motorcycle mount. That one has a round RAM ball mount on the back. The bracket has a flip-up security locking lever, security screw, and special screwdriver. It does not twist. It seems rock solid.

Is this the cradle you are speaking of?

whoaa!

I don't think I got all that stuff!! I gotta look around and see if there isn't a box somewhere with more gear in little plastic bags!

thanx

My 550 came with a car mount and a special motorcycle mount. That one has a round RAM ball mount on the back. The bracket has a flip-up security locking lever, security screw, and special screwdriver.

My 450 came with all of the same attachments.

My dealer replaced one of the handlebar bolts with one with a ball head. A two headed arm clamps that ball and the ball on the Garmin cradle. Either the long or short arm puts the unit in view, even when the fast-attach BMW tank bag is in place. Short arm may be a bit more secure.

Would you have a part number on that replacement bolt? I can't find anything like it on the Max micro fiche and it sounds like a good solution.

Thanks!

related stuff

I bought the RAM parts from Cycle Nutz at the Blackhawk region flea market last weekend. One of their suggested solutions was the longer bolt. I'm fairly certain it's not an oem part. But since this bike came with an accessory shelf when i bought it used, I wanted to use the $%&#*&!! accessory shelf instead. I imagine Cycle Nutz has a website.

Or I bet someone else will tell you what size bolt is req'd.

As for my situation, I've decide not to trust the setup I mentioned in my original post. So i Googled Garmin and got directed to a Garmin factory Store outlet online where i bought what should be a much more secure cradle. About $15 less than retail and a $15 rebate...making it ...well, IDK, but fairly cheap:dance

Thanx to all the guys who replied, BTW

Back