• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016RT hand grip Vibration

I will be getting these. I do notice vibes, but its not a real issue for me. But, these appear to work quite well and are relatively inexpensive - so they would be a nice addition to the machine. :)

On the strength of the video review cited here and positive reports from others I ordered a set of the HVMP (Hudson Valley Motor Parts) bar end weights for my 2016 RTW. Unluckily, it did not work out as advertised. Vibration--negligible with the stock weights--(I was just going for a slight improvement and had no complaint with the stock weights' behavior) was noticeably worse with the HVMP weights installed.

Here's how I proceeded: First a quick ride on the freeway with the stock bar weights, just to remind me of what the base line is.

After installing the HVMP weights, back on the freeway at between 70-85 mph, typical California speeds. This time I had a place to go--about twenty-five minutes down the road. Even on such a short haul as this, the vibration was enough to distract me from the pleasure of the ride, and would clearly become obnoxious on a longer run.

I then re-installed the stock weights, went for a ride and noticed the immediate improvement over the HVMP weights.

I am not here discounting Mr. Levy's conclusions in his video, as it looks as though he has applied the HVMP weights to a stock set of bars on his RTW.

In my case, I have the Ilium bar risers, which seems to change the dynamics in a different and unexpected direction. The physics of this is over my pay grade, as they say, but I'd be happy to hear any commentary from others, particularly those who have:

a) aftermarket bars

or

b) bars modified by risers of one brand or another.

Happy Trails!

--Radix

On the strength of the video review cited here and positive reports from others I ordered a set of the HVMP (Hudson Valley Motor Parts) bar end weights for my 2016 RTW. Unluckily, it did not work out as advertised. Vibration--negligible with the stock weights--(I was just going for a slight improvement and had no complaint with the stock weights' behavior) was noticeably worse with the HVMP weights installed.

Here's how I proceeded: First a quick ride on the freeway with the stock bar weights, just to remind me of what the base line is.

After installing the HVMP weights, back on the freeway at between 70-85 mph, typical California speeds. This time I had a place to go--about twenty-five minutes down the road. Even on such a short haul as this, the vibration was enough to distract me from the pleasure of the ride, and would clearly become obnoxious on a longer run.

I then re-installed the stock weights, went for a ride and noticed the immediate improvement over the HVMP weights.

I am not here discounting Mr. Levy's conclusions in his video, as it looks as though he has applied the HVMP weights to a stock set of bars on his RTW.

In my case, I have the Ilium bar risers, which seems to change the dynamics in a different and unexpected direction. The physics of this is over my pay grade, as they say, but I'd be happy to hear any commentary from others, particularly those who have:

a) aftermarket bars

or

b) bars modified by risers of one brand or another.

Happy Trails!

--Radix
are these what you installed, bar backs?
http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-500&pID=103

I don't have any experience with Wetheads but lots with most previous model BMW boxer twins, and I'd offer that if some sort of handgrip padding is required to combat "vibration," it's fairly likely the bike is out of tune, i.e. throttles are not synchronized and/or valves are not equally adjusted or injectors are mismatched.

Think about it ... these bikes have engine balancer shafts and BMW designers could tune any level of vibration they wished ... but first of all "vibration" needs to be defined. In the case of boxer engines it should never be "buzz," but rather perhaps what I call a gentle "massage." That's what I think BMW designers have deliberately tuned for with the balancer shaft, thinking perhaps there ought to be some feedback to connect the rider to the motor.

In the old days when the 4-cylinder K100 first arrived the vibration was "buzz" for sure, and things fell off due to metal fatigue. Then there was the 3-cylinder K75 that did have a balancer shaft, and my reaction was that it was so smooth it could be said difficult to know whether the motor was even running ... zero feedback, that is. Didn't like that and am convinced BMW didn't set that as their goal when tuning the later boxers.

Also in the old days, the 1970 Airhead motor arrived at 750cc and by 1977 was 1000cc, clearly pushing the limits of the original design and suffering a little more handgrip "feedback" than the smaller versions. The aftermarket offered "lightweight wristpins" to address this. I've had both 800s and 1000s from that generation and can tell the difference and don't mind how the 1000s feel. Thing was, the 1000 could usually run 1000 rpm slower than the smaller engines, so the lack of general thrashing offered some degree of comfort in itself.

My Oilhead (1100S) is not comfortable compared to my 1200, but that's mostly around town ... on the highway its pretty much the same and fine for sure. It's synchronized as far as air goes, not so certain whether injectors are equal and it's a to-do to spend $120 for a pair of new injectors (a sum, BTW, that wouldn't buy even one carburetor). Thing about that Oilhead compared to the Camhead is that it's closer to being an Airhead, i.e. a torque monster--which the 1200 is for sure not (it's a revver). The Oilhead for sure imho pointed to a future with balancer shafts.

So if your Wethead handgrip feedback is objectionable, see if you can ride a friend's Wethead where s/he doesn't mind it to see if the two bikes are actually different or if it's you. If it's your bike ... .

--Radix

I put them on my '16 a maybe a few thousand miles into ownership, and noticed a nice improvement right away. If they were stolen I'd buy a replacement set. Considering how bar end weights are supposed to work, have you come up with any plausible explanation for why they ended up being less comfortable for you? My sense is the heavier 17.1oz weights would decrease the amplitude, not frequency, of vibration from the engine transmitted to the bar ends, so one would assume even w/ after market bar risers the logic should still apply. If the frequency changed that might explain your situation. Perhaps the bar risers added a new resonance that the weights actually magnified.

Yes--those are the ones.

Regards,

--Radix

I have the same Ilium Barbacks on my RT. It's a subjective issue unless we find a way to objectively measure vibration at speed, but in my case I stand by the conclusions I outlined in the video.

-MKL

Heavy bar ends and grip puppies worked for me . I am older with arthritis and peripheral neuropathy . Most of my riding is mountainous with lots
of twisty's . My new 2017 1200rt was putting my right hand to sleep . More my physical condition than the bike . The grip puppies allowed me to relax my grip
and still maintain excellent throttle control . With the added weight bar ends and puppies the vibes disappeared . No more sleeping fingers .

BTW . Love the bike . One month old and 1,963 miles clocked in . My 1200 and I are a match .
I ride thru the pain . Don't even think about it till I get home . Life is once again good .

I have the same Ilium Barbacks on my RT. It's a subjective issue unless we find a way to objectively measure vibration at speed, but in my case I stand by the conclusions I outlined in the video.

-MKL

Back