• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 G650GS locked compartment cover

romoto

A few months ago while riding home I lost the locked cover (behind my seat) on my 2013 G650GS after going over a railroad track. I don't know why or how it came loose but it fell and broke in a couple of large pieces. I turned around to pick it up and I had high hopes that I could fix it...until I watched a semi truck drive over it and break it into dozens of tiny pieces. The locking mechanism was somehow still intact, but there was no way I could ever fix the cover. So, after a quick call to the local BMW dealership and learning that they want around $ 100 for a piece of plastic, I decided to make it myself. I am posting some pictures in case anyone else needs to make one for themselves:

repair.jpg

repair3.jpg

final product.jpg

Nice work:thumb

Yeah, sometimes the cover seems to pop off in spite of being locked correctly and checked when hitting a cattleguard or a pothole. I have picked one up a few times...lucky no truck in sight!

Well done, that’s some nice handiwork there! :thumb
Sounds like that cover is a good candidate for a small-diameter safety cable to keep it from disappearing if it pops loose, kinda like the older K-bikes had on the mirrors.

Nest,
DG

Sounds like that cover is a good candidate for a small-diameter safety cable to keep it from disappearing if it pops loose, kinda like the older K-bikes had on the mirrors.

Nest,
DG

Well, there is a great idea :thumb I used stainless fishing leaders on my RT several years back

Now if I can remember to apply that next time I look at that bike

Nest,
DG

That's a good idea! I'll have to modify it so if it does come off , I won't be hurling it at the driver behind me...

Nest,
DG

Thank you!

You’re welcome, always happy to help! Henzilla has a great idea with the fishing leaders. When you get a lanyard figured out please share another pic so others will see exactly how you’ve solved the problem. :) :thumb

Best,
DG

Wow, that is nice work. Put a Touratech or Wunderlich logo on it and sell it for $359.99 plus $32.00 shipping.

Although I owned four of the single 650 GS's, I never had that problem. However, your work looks awesome :).

H's first new '07 never had an issue, when she bought the used second one, it happened a few times. The cover seems loose when locked. It prob is an adjustment to the lock arm I could make, just don't think about it until it happens again. :dunno
Another friends kept coming off and they put a topcase rack over it leaving the cover off

Cattle guards seem to be the enemy of ours:whistle

A few months ago while riding home I lost the locked cover (behind my seat) on my 2013 G650GS after going over a railroad track. I don't know why or how it came loose but it fell and broke in a couple of large pieces. I turned around to pick it up and I had high hopes that I could fix it...until I watched a semi truck drive over it and break it into dozens of tiny pieces. The locking mechanism was somehow still intact, but there was no way I could ever fix the cover. So, after a quick call to the local BMW dealership and learning that they want around $ 100 for a piece of plastic, I decided to make it myself. I am posting some pictures in case anyone else needs to make one for themselves:

View attachment 66697

View attachment 66698

View attachment 66699
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Back