• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shameless Trolling - For Touring Tips

This city, known for digging, had a subway before Chicago.

No charge for a second opinion especially for a fellow rider from the Green Mountain State.

Thanks for dropping by.

Hmmm, the L predated Boston, but elevated tracks aren't exactly subways, are they?

I've never been to Boston. To us, that's the Deep South.

So I'll go with NYC. So far south it's not even in the same hemisphere!

Correct - Boston!
Boston's subway opened on September 1, 1897. London was the first city in the world to have a subway. It opened in 1863. Figures - a city know for the Big Dig would have the first subway. Of course the evens are 100 years apart.

Tip of Hat to the gentleman from The Old Dominion State - MTSweger
tipofhat3.gif

OK - Bonus trivia for Saturday:

1. In any one Grand Slam tennis event many matches in a row does a player have to win to take home the top trophy?
  2. How many Grand Slam events are there and in what cities?

Something to challenge the tennis crowd? I wonder if there are any in the BMWMOA?

Puzzle for Paul

Ok Paul, your turn for a brain teaser.

Three riders stop for a meal and each pays $10. The waiter takes the $30 to the cashier/owner, and seeing that they are the cheap type (on BMW's), he gives the waiter $5 to refund them. The waiter pockets $2, and gives each rider a 1 dollar back. Now each rider has paid $9 ($27 in all), the waiter has $2, which adds up to $29. Where is the missing dollar?

1. In any one Grand Slam tennis event many matches in a row does a player have to win to take home the top trophy?

Something to challenge the tennis crowd? I wonder if there are any in the BMWMOA?

Sure:

1) All of them.
2) Four: Australian Open (Melbourne); Wimbledon (Wimbledon, a London suburb); French Open (Paris); US Open (Flushing Meadows NY)

And on a different subject: what happened to my last year's tip about microfiber clothing, tossed into the shower to clean?

Three riders stop for a meal and each pays $10. The waiter takes the $30 to the cashier/owner, and seeing that they are the cheap type (on BMW's), he gives the waiter $5 to refund them. The waiter pockets $2, and gives each rider a 1 dollar back. Now each rider has paid $9 ($27 in all), the waiter has $2, which adds up to $29. Where is the missing dollar?

Shame, shame, shame, you know there is no missing dollar. :dance

The Answer (to a trick question)

Here is the fatal flaw in logic/math behind this brain teaser: "Now each rider has paid $9 ($27 in all),"

In truth, each rider only thinks he or she paid a fair share, but one-third of a $25 check is ~$8.33, not $9.00. :nono

Each rider paid $9.00, true. However, each actually overpaid by 2/3 dollars (i.e., ~$0.67) when you include their "share" of what the waiter kept and then subtract each person's share of the change that was returned. Although each rider receives $1 in change, each should have received his or her fair share of the $5.00 in change, i.e., 5/3 or ~$1.67, except that thievin' waiter kept 2/3 dollars (~$0.67) from each rider's share of the change due, i.e., $2/3 + $2/3 + $2/3 = $6/3 = $2, which is what the waiter pocketed. To put it another way, 5/3 (change due) - 2/3 (portion of change kept by waiter) = 3/3 = 1, which is what each person actually received. The waiter returned only $3 ($1 each x 3 riders) instead of the full $5.00 (~$1.67 each x 3 riders) that was actually due.

• Money given to waiter = $30.00 (10 + 10 + 10)
  • Total bill = $25.00 (8 1/3 + 8 1/3 + 8 1/3) or ~$8.33 owed by each rider
  • Change due = $30 - $25 = $5.00 (5/3 + 5/3 + 5/3) or ~$1.67 ($10 - ~$8.67) to each rider
  • Change that was actually returned = $3.00 (1 + 1 + 1) or $1.00 to each rider
  • Share of change kept by waiter = $2.00 (2/3 + 2/3 + 2/3) or ~$0.67 "stolen" from each rider

So, $30 paid, minus $25 owed equals $5 change due
and $30 paid, less $2 kept by waiter and $3 returned equals $25 for the cashier.
It all adds up. There is no missing dollar.

Be that as it may, I always find it much easier to say "Keep the change" and walk out the door. Gives me more time to ride while others are squabbling over who should get that odd 1/3 cent. :deal

Besides, two bucks is a lousy tip on a 25-dollar check anyway. :bluduh That waiter probably deserves to keep the entire $5.00 in change, even if the service was not that great. Who knows? Maybe they just had a bad day. :dunno I'm sure it wouldn't have anything to do with cheap-a$$ed people who ride $20K+ motorcycles arguing about how much change they should get back on a ten-dollar meal. :stick

All in jest, my friends. :jester

Time for a ride. Maybe I'll go find a nice mom-n-pop restaurant, enjoy a good meal, and leave a nice fat tip. I like to think that a generous tip may be helping in some small way to fund someone's dream of owning a BMW motorcycle some day...
:newtoy

-MTS

Challenge flag thrown! According to ^ ""The Pneumatic Tunnel Under Broadway" (1870)". www.nycsubway.org. Retrieved on 2008-07-07. (extract from Scientific American March 5, 1870)

"An underground transit system in New York City was first built by Alfred Ely Beach in 1869. His Beach Pneumatic Transit only extended 312 feet (95 m) under Broadway and exhibited his idea for a subway."

You never specified it had to be a commercially viable subway and besides, when it comes to digging, NYC tunneled hundreds of miles to deliver water from the Adirondacks.

Pete

Correct - Boston!
Boston's subway opened on September 1, 1897. London was the first city in the world to have a subway. It opened in 1863. Figures - a city know for the Big Dig would have the first subway. Of course the evens are 100 years apart.

Tip of Hat to the gentleman from The Old Dominion State - MTSweger
tipofhat3.gif

OK - Bonus trivia for Saturday:

What a feisty crowd!

The Interborough Rapid Transit Subway, or IRT, was the first subway company in New York City. Even with elevated train lines springing up around the city, the need for an underground rapid transit railroad was obvious as a solution to street congestion and to assist development in outlying areas. On October 27, 1904, the first IRT subway line opened, and the city would never be the same.

Source: Click Here

Challenge Flag? Hmmm Cannot argue with the logic of glenfiddich, my distinguished and esteemed colleague from the Green Mountain State.

Glenfiddich - Tell you what I'm going to do Marine. Come to the meeting of the Vermont MOV tomorrow and the coffee is on me. Not the breakfast, not the lunch, not the brunch - just the coffee. :laugh

Sure:

1) All of them.
2) Four: Australian Open (Melbourne); Wimbledon (Wimbledon, a London suburb); French Open (Paris); US Open (Flushing Meadows NY)

And on a different subject: what happened to my last year's tip about microfiber clothing, tossed into the shower to clean?

Looking for a specific number here. I'm not sure if you have to win all of them - just winning the last one should do it. :laugh

But partial credit for sure. The Cities and the Opens are all correct. :thumb

But why is a gentleman from California not out riding?

Source: Click Here

Challenge Flag? Hmmm Cannot argue with the logic of glenfiddich, my distinguished and esteemed colleague from the Green Mountain State.

Glenfiddich - Tell you what I'm going to do Marine. Come to the meeting of the Vermont MOV tomorrow and the coffee is on me. Not the breakfast, not the lunch, not the brunch - just the coffee. :laugh

Deal! I'll bring the camera as well. I've heard rumors BMWMOV is in need of flattering shots of members. I've also heard that I might really need to hone my PhotoShop skills in order to pull that off! :laugh

Pete

But why is a gentleman from California not out riding?

I did too. After walking the dogs and doing email, I rode out to the college to check on today's MSF class. (I used to teach there until a disk herniation took me off-line.) Pretty nice out there today. :whistle

Deal! I'll bring the camera as well. I've heard rumors BMWMOV is in need of flattering shots of members. I've also heard that I might really need to hone my PhotoShop skills in order to pull that off! :laugh

Pete
fisheye.jpg

If you are going to catch yours truly in action bring the wide angle lens; oh maybe the fisheye lens will do the job.

Your PhotoShop better be running on one of those core duo "cornfusers."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
Sure:

1) All of them.

Looking for a specific number here. I'm not sure if you have to win all of them - just winning the last one should do it.

The number of matches you have to win is 7

OK - Saturday Night Challenge here.

What do the following things have in common? The answer is based on knowledge rather than observation, although observation has a lot to do with it.

Furnace . . Fly
Microscope . . Sculptor
Easel . . . Goldfish
Compass . . Toucan
River . . . Air Pump

Last edited:
Shame, shame, shame, you know there is no missing dollar. :dance

Gee SIBUD.......now you've blown it. I was going to make my millions like this.....no, not by being the waiter.

MTS, after all the arithmetic it boils down to:

So, $30 paid, minus $25 owed equals $5 change due
and $30 paid, less $2 kept by waiter and $3 returned equals $25 for the cashier.
It all adds up. There is no missing dollar.

But thanks, I really enjoyed your response.

Touring tip

Here is a cheap way to keep your tank bag organized. Ask your wife or S.O. for the little comes=tics bags they get at the mall as promotion. They have a zipper most are water proof and you can organize your gear in 2-3 bags. 0$ except if you finance the purchase of the cosmetics... And you can use a permanent marker to wipe out the words Clinique... lol

cheers

Denis R1200RT

Good Job
goodjob.jpg

gened12

In order to complete submission of your Touring Tip:
Please PM or email
First Name - Family Name & MOA Number
City and State

Thank You
Paul

Will have to get mine out of storage.

goodjob.jpg

Good Job Gsjay

I bought a couple years ago after watching a sales pitch at Daytona and then - have left them in the garage. Are they that good?

Need a hint for this one?

What do the following things have in common? The answer is based on knowledge rather than observation, although observation has a lot to do with it.

Furnace . . Fly
Microscope . . Sculptor
Easel . . . Goldfish
Compass . . Toucan
River . . . Air Pump

Look at the word that has been put in bold - observation.

Geez - for a group that dug out the pneumatic subway under NYC. :brow

goodjob.jpg

Good Job Gsjay

I bought a couple years ago after watching a sales pitch at Daytona and then - have left them in the garage. Are they that good?

yep, they're that good. They've been sold for years under different names. Shamwow is just the latest go round.

Back