• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

E-Z Pass holder

PABLOH3

I'm looking for good ideas to use my E-Z pass on my 2010 RT. I haven't come across any holders that would seem to work on my bike and I don't want to mess up the bike by gluing on the super velcro strips which I had used successfully on my last bike. I'm tempted to keep the pass in my pocket but then it's almost as much trouble getting it out as it is to get money to pay a toll. Most of the time, I wouldn't need it except when I take a long trip.

I'm tempted to keep the pass in my pocket but then it's almost as much trouble getting it out as it is to get money to pay a toll. Most of the time, I wouldn't need it except when I take a long trip.

Do you have to have it out? I'm only familiar with the fastrak system used for SF bay area bridges. If I remember I'll put it in the map pocket of my tank bag. If I forget I'll ride through the fastrak lanes, anyway.

The license number of all my vehicles are registered with my fastrak account. They take a picture of the license plate as each vehicle goes through the toll plaza. If the fastrak doesn't go off they look up the account by license number and charge my account that way. Either way the cost is the same. Actually, If I'm lucky the camera wont work and I'll get a free trip. :whistle

I never tried to go through without having it out in the open. I guess I could try and see if I get a ticket.

I use something similar to these on my RT in Illinois.

http://www.jjcyclepass.com/bike2.htm

check out ram-mount.com for handlebar mounts and mounts over the clutch or brake reservoirs.

I tried just carrying my transponder in my pocket, but it never would register.

EZ Pass

I have it inside the tank bag and have yet to have a State trooper come flashing down the highway looking for me.....
Because I live in Ontario, I have only been through the tolls, say 10 times in my travels, but have yet to have a problem - FWIW

Tankbag

I've read on these boards where some people have their EZ Pass in the top clear map case section of their tank bag and it works fine. I hope so because when I get mine that's what I'm planning to do. It seems kind of silly to buy a holder if it will work in the tank bag. Originally I was looking at a RAM holder that was $33.00.

I keep my easy pass on the bottom side of the plastic map pocket on my tank bag. It's out of site if I should leave the tank bag on in a parking lot and seems to work - most of the time.

I've found that it seems to be hit or miss whether or not it works at all, regardless of the vehicle I'm driving or riding. There for a while, it seems I was getting weekly performance awards in the mail due to the car or truck's ez-pass. A phone call to customer service always cleared it up and admin fees were waived. I've never gotten one on the bike tho.

The EZ-Tag used in Texas worked fine in the breast pocked of my jacket but when I changed riding gear it tended to get left behind. I now use a map case from Touratech USA (Cycloactive??) attached to the bars. The toll pass lives in a concealed pocket under the cover (3 layers of cordura deep), is not visible, and dings my wallet without fail. The nice thing about this system (aside from being smaller than a tank bag) is that I can release 2 fastex buckles at the bar and remove the case to stow in my panniers if theft is a concern when I park.

a buddy has one on his 1150R windshield. The velcro adhesive was bunk so he reinforced it with a strip of duct tape. function over fashion.

Since I live in the NYC Area, I subscribe to the "out of sight, out of mind" theory when it comes to securing my gear. I keep my ezpass in the top pocket of my tank bag and have never had a problem.

When I stop in the city or at a motel on the road, I always remove the tank bag and lock it in the top case, along with my sat. radio and GPS. If I have my rack bag on the back of the bike, that comes off too!

I searched for an EZ Pass holder when I got my '06 RT and I never found one I liked. Since the EZ Pass always stays on the bike I decided to attach it to the windshield like they recommend and then disguise it. I thought about painting it flat black but then I found an attractive sticker that covers it perfectly.

The Velcro did fail once but I didn't lose the unit, it just fell down a little farther and lodged there.

BEFORE
EZ3.jpg

AFTER
EZ7.jpg

Mine is stuck on the shield with the velcros it came with and has been there for the 6 years I've had the bike. I've had no problems with it falling off or anyone stealing it even left overnight in motel lots. If someone does steal it I've got the number to ez pass in my phone and will just cancel and replace it. I do love the sticker idea as I can't say I love the looks of the damn thing!

Bob

04 K1200GT

I've had mixed results here in Maine. Our EZP installations work from the top down (so I've been told) rather than from the ground up. Is this true? Only going with what I was told. My SOTP analysis would say yes. I have an '01 Ram 2500 diesel QC that I haul a Lance slide-in camper on. With the EZP unit up under the rear-view mirror as is standard, when the camper is on, the EZP will not read in Maine nearly 100% of the time. However, outside of Maine all the way to Florida and back, I can leave it up under the rear-view mirror and it'll work every time. If I move it from it's windshield mount to down near the base of the windshield (thereby pushing it forward a number of inches) the EZP installations will read it.

That said, I've tried putting my EZP in my tank back map pocket and had mixed results. I've tried carrying it in my pocket and taking it out as I near the toll-booth, again with mixed results. I don't WANT to stick it to my windshield. I called the EZP folks here in Maine and the woman on the other end said, basically, don't worry about it if your license plate is registered with EZP. They'll take a picture and find the right account. She did suggest that I carry the unit with me IN CASE the light doesn't change and there happens to be a cop nearby and pulls you over. You can take your EZP out and verify that you have it.

Charlie, did you feel any increase in turbulence with the ez pass in that location?

Nope, none whatsoever. It lines up behind the windshield so it remains outside the slipstream. Guess I need to clean my windshield....

Attachments

• IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,589
Here's a view from the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,507
A different approach --

I mounted my EZPass *under* the dash cover -- on my '09 there's enough room between the windshield motor/mechanism and the top of the dash. Totally invisible, and never had a problem with it registering as I pass through a toll booth.

IMG_0118.jpg

Charlie, did you feel any increase in turbulence with the ez pass in that location?

Charlie K., I've got that same tag and have been thinking of just giving in and mounting it right where you did on the screen. My only hesitation was not knowing what the impact might be on the windflow / noise. Do you have any observations to share?

I keep mine in the tank bag. I use it daily for word and has never failed to read yet. I know two people who velcroed them to the windshield and both were lost after a short period of time.

Attachments

• 30-Mar-2010 day of the flood 001-1.jpg
    30-Mar-2010 day of the flood 001-1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,372
Back