• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200st 2005 ABS questions

vanderlogt

just bought a 05 R1200ST 15,000 miles .... was nieve to the fact that the ABS system could cause trouble at any time.
should I sell or simple spend money every two years to have the fluid flushed and hope for the best or learn to maintain the machine myself somewhere?

Where to purchase and shop manual? Dose anyone know someone other then a BMW shop to flush this ABS fluid I'm from Wisconsin.. I'll ride miles to have someone help.

just bought a 05 R1200ST 15,000 miles .... was nieve to the fact that the ABS system could cause trouble at any time.

This post should be in the Hexhead section, however....

All BMWs have had ABS for at least the past 20 years. What makes you think you're going to have an issue? As far as where to get your bike serviced, here's a list of independent repair shops if you don't want to take it to the dealer. Oh, and flushing your brake system every 2 years is a good idea no matter what you ride.

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/independent-bmw-mechanics/

I wondered if this thread should be in Hex/Camhead too. Turns out, all of the posts by this member have been in the Oilhead section...guess it just became a habit! :whistle

One of the mods will move this after a bit of time.

Hex Head

This post should be in the Hexhead section, however....

All BMWs have had ABS for at least the past 20 years. What makes you think you're going to have an issue? As far as where to get your bike serviced, here's a list of independent repair shops if you don't want to take it to the dealer. Oh, and flushing your brake system every 2 years is a good idea no matter what you ride.

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/independent-bmw-mechanics/

Hexhead....What's makes me think this bike will have a ABS issue, you ask? Its the "someone" told me thing, said 04,05 of this model has a more serious ABS problems.. then a few days later "someone else" independent wrench told me the opposite,after checking the top (clean)fluid reservoirs he saids, after a ride told me to run the bike this summer and he'll flush it before I put it away, even though its been 2 1/2 years and 3 thousand miles since the last flush. What to believe from talking heads when I dont have the experience? The wrench also said that if it would give me some peace of mind, that he would check the lower fluid (are the top and bottom fluids seperate) to see how clean it looked for 200 US dollors. simply flush it now, right? Thanks A

The wrench also said that if it would give me some peace of mind, that he would check the lower fluid (are the top and bottom fluids seperate) to see how clean it looked for 200 US dollors. simply flush it now, right? Thanks A

There's a world of difference between the '04 and '05 bikes. To start with, the '04 was an Oilhead whereas the '05 is a Hexhead. But most important to you is some bikes had Servo Assist, commonly know as Whizzy Brakes from the sound the servo made when you used the brakes. If maintenance was less than stellar, or the rubber brake hoses were allowed to deteriorate to the point of disintegration, the brake assist system on some bikes could fail. If your bike has this system, you should get it flushed. It is time consuming which could account for the $200 price tag.

A friend of mine has an '05 ST and his doesn't have the servo assist. When you turn the key to "On" and pull the brake lever do you hear a noticeable higher-pitched humming sound? That would be the servo.

I wondered if this thread should be in Hex/Camhead too. Turns out, all of the posts by this member have been in the Oilhead section...guess it just became a habit! :whistle

One of the mods will move this after a bit of time.

Ill move to Hex heads

There's a world of difference between the '04 and '05 bikes. To start with, the '04 was an Oilhead whereas the '05 is a Hexhead. But most important to you is some bikes had Servo Assist, commonly know as Whizzy Brakes from the sound the servo made when you used the brakes. If maintenance was less than stellar, or the rubber brake hoses were allowed to deteriorate to the point of disintegration, the brake assist system on some bikes could fail. If your bike has this system, you should get it flushed. It is time consuming which could account for the $200 price tag.

A friend of mine has an '05 ST and his doesn't have the servo assist. When you turn the key to "On" and pull the brake lever do you hear a noticeable higher-pitched humming sound? That would be the servo.

Thanks just checked, turned the key on and yes a noticeable higher-pitched humming sound...

Thanks just checked, turned the key on and yes a noticeable higher-pitched humming sound...

To answer your original question...I've had two BMWs with this same brake system. Both have over 100k km on them and have been maintained as per the owner's manual. Never had a issue with brakes.

If you have rubber brake lines (doubtful) change them to braided steel NOW, flush the system and do it every two years. You have lots of trouble-free miles ahead of you.

To answer your original question...I've had two BMWs with this same brake system. Both have over 100k km on them and have been maintained as per the owner's manual. Never had a issue with brakes.

If you have rubber brake lines (doubtful) change them to braided steel NOW, flush the system and do it every two years. You have lots of trouble-free miles ahead of you.

That's great news, the brake lines are braided and i'm having an independant wrench flush the system later this month. Thanks, and make it safe.

Back