• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

And from the North East????

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

For me (northern VT) thru the Greens and the Adirondacks, drop into the Alleghenies, over to the Amish Country of Ohio to the Hocking Hills, then one of the old US Highways where every little town has a lovely park and friendly people.

Pete and Tulliver (or possibly Glenlivet by then)

When someone brought up Iowa the first thing that popped in my head was Radar O' Reilly.

This past summer a friend was crossing the country and we agreed that Iowa was the best place for me to join in on the ride. I headed north a few days early and spend what turned out to be quality time in the areas around Winterset, Atlantic, Marne ( Baxters ) and camped at Anita Lake.

So, If the stars line up.... I'll be there. Iowa.

Marty

I headed north a few days early and spend what turned out to be quality time in the areas around Winterset, Atlantic, Marne ( Baxters ) and camped at Anita Lake.

Winterset, Madison County is a nice area and not far from Des Moines.
Winterset is the boyhood home of John Wayne, and Bridges of Madison County was filmed in Winterset and surrounding area.

I think it's a great selection, then again any destination is OK with me for a bike ride. Like glenfiddich said, lots of small towns and old forgotten highway's between Maine and Iowa, maybe I can see a few more of them. Pork tenderloin sandwiches too, ummmm.

YES! A buddy of mine and i discovered Baxter when we stopped for breakfast in Villisca. A guy was checking out our bikes and started chatting and said you guys need to ride up to Baxter Cycle if you want to see some cool old bikes. So we said "sure"! We get there and walk in and while a nice place we see one old Triumph up on a mezzanine like section. We said ... hmmm ... THIS is what that guy thought was a cool old shop? Then one of the sales guys asked if we like to see "the back room" ? WOW!! walk down a dark hall and through a small door and THERE is the treasure! Very cool. Hey we also learned at breakfast that day that Villisca is known for a double ax murder that took place a long time ago. THESE are the treasures you find on the back roads of the midwest!

View attachment 61600

100_4516.jpg

In addition you can stop on Le Claire and see the American Pickers shop and maybe see Danielle! And you can stop at the Field of Dreams film set that is still in tact although it was sold a few years back.

100_3843.jpg

Attachments

• 100_4511.jpg
    100_4511.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 634
This will be only my 3rd Rally. From Fairbanks everything is a long ride and I just didn't have that much time every year, or very often. Before Fairbanks I lived on Kodiak Island, and every ride stared with a 12 hour ferry ride -- more time yet. But I retire in 4 more weeks. From here until I can't ride anymore, I'm going to catch every one. And I don't care where they are, I'll have fun. When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's somewhat about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's somewhat about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. And all the vendors also make it nice. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.

Precisely why Paul and I rarely leave the Rally Grounds once we arrive. It's our tribe!

Voni
sMiling

The Google Earth view of the grounds shows several trees and possible shaded camping sites.

Looks like a nice site.

I understand your enthusiasm but I do not share it. So I have to ask myself, would I ride a motorcycle to Des Moines if the MOA rally was not there.....no. Would I ride my motorcycle to Des Moines just because the MOA rally is there....at this time I would still say no. I may be in the minority with my opinion (would not be the first time).

Have Fun

So fly there and have fun with a few thousand friends! :wave

"I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's somewhat about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's somewhat about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. And all the vendors also make it nice. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.

... Well spoken Mike - in your above quote #17.
Looking forward to meeting you even this year in Salt Lake, or possibly as I pass through the "banks" during the Summer Solstice Celebration next month.

"travel'n" john

Funny you should say this. Sedalia was my first rally too, and haven't stopped going since. The only other time I've identified this much with a group of people was in the service. Hope to keep attending until the body can't do it anymore, so should have at least 20 or more "family" reunions left in the future, eh?

Funny you should say this. Sedalia was my first rally too, and haven't stopped going since. The only other time I've identified this much with a group of people was in the service. Hope to keep attending until the body can't do it anymore, so should have at least 20 or more "family" reunions left in the future, eh?

I'm 64, but in relatively good shape for being 20 lbs overweight. I'm hoping to able to ride into mid 70s if not longer. And I plan on going to every national rally, as well as some regional ones. Find the Alaska tagged RRT at the rally and drop by to say hello.

I'm 64, but in relatively good shape for being 20 lbs overweight. I'm hoping to able to ride into mid 70s if not longer. And I plan on going to every national rally, as well as some regional ones. Find the Alaska tagged RRT at the rally and drop by to say hello.

THAT is my thinking exactly .... WELL into my 70's. Heck it may be on a Vespa but riding is riding! :dance

Pork Tenderloin sandwich

I think it's a great selection, then again any destination is OK with me for a bike ride. Like glenfiddich said, lots of small towns and old forgotten highway's between Maine and Iowa, maybe I can see a few more of them. Pork tenderloin sandwiches too, ummmm.

When you get to Des Moines, go get a pork tenderloin at Smitti's on Army Post Road near the airport. It is the best.

Bill in Phoenix

Question is... will the sweet corn be ready? Cause after seeing this bunch go through it a couple states east of Iowa, "back in the day"... we're gonna need plenty of it!

This should be a fine venue, with nice country road travel offered from all directions.

"travel'n" john
15 R1200GS

On the farm over here in Kentucky the saying for a good year of sweet corn was it had to be "high as an elephant's eye by the 4th of July." Should be a good time to butter and roast some corn.

On the farm over here in Kentucky the saying for a good year of sweet corn was it had to be "high as an elephant's eye by the 4th of July." Should be a good time to butter and roast some corn.

My father-in-law used to say "knee high by the 4th of July" But that was for Jersey corn!

Looking ahead to 2019 Rally Location or Zone?

I like to look forward to things I can actually accomplish. Can anyone in the know shed light on probable location or at least the zone of the country for 2019 please?

thanks,

Mark

I like to look forward to things I can actually accomplish. Can anyone in the know shed light on probable location or at least the zone of the country for 2019 please?

thanks,

Mark

2019 is Zone 3.
http://www.bmwmoa.org/general/custom.asp?page=siteselection

RallySiteZoneRotation.jpg

Back