• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

waterproof gloves

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
I am looking for a new pair of winter gloves, I ride in the Pacific Northwet, 35 degrees F and warmer. ( you can still hit ice above 35 deg F, don't ask how I know :) ) does anyone have something they would recommend? thanks

I am looking for a new pair of winter gloves, I ride in the Pacific Northwet, 35 degrees F and warmer. ( you can still hit ice above 35 deg F, don't ask how I know :) ) does anyone have something they would recommend? thanks

Heavy duty rubber gloves that fit over good insulated gloves.

For me, the warmest has always been mittens. It takes a while to get used to having your fingers "captured" but they work great. The snowmobile industry has come out with some real good looking mittens- and gloves, might not be your exact style, but I think worth a look.
OM

I've used a pair of the BMW Motorrad 2-in-1 gloves for a couple of years. They're a bit pricey ($229), but there's a sale on now at A&S Cycles in Roseville, CA. Here's the URL: https://www.ascycles.com/2/Motorcycle-Apparel-Gloves/ProductID/51276

As the name says, they're both a ventilated glove and a Gore-Tex waterproof glove. You put your hand in the "Proof" side if it's rainy or cold, and in the "Grip" side if it's warmer, and not raining. Rangerreece has a pair and I think he likes 'em too. I think the A&S Sales lasts until Midnight 11/27, but will probably be back around the Christmas Holiday too, based on past experience.

I believe they're actually made by HELD.

Gerbing Heated gloves. Besides being heated, they are also waterproof. Gerbing recommends waterproofing the gloves and not just relying on the inner waterproof liner. It's a good idea, because otherwise, the heavy leather exterior will get waterlogged and take forever to dry out.

One advantage or consideration you might want to make if you go this route, is that Gerbing gloves have the wiring on the top and bottom of the glove. Firstgear gloves, when I was looking for gloves a couple years ago, only had the heating elements on the back of the hand. I'd look at Sedici gloves at CycleGear if you're looking for heated gloves. The Sedici gear usually has a lifetime warranty and Gerbing no longer honors their lifetime warranty.

One drawback on the Gerbing gloves I have, is the right hand glove does not get as warm as the left. I'm not sure if that's just Gerbing gloves, or all heated gloves.

Chris

BMW GS Dry Gloves work for me in PNW winters

I also live and ride during the winters in the Pacific Northwest (Bellingham, WA). I've used BMW GS Dry gloves for a couple of years now, and I'm quite satisfied. The gloves perform as advertised and keep my hands dry which is the key thing to staying warm. Additional warmth comes from the bar heaters (First on an 800GT, now on a 1200RT) or a silk or poly glove liner for "extra". I like the tactile feedback I get with these gloves and have never found an insulated glove that doesn't make button pushing and fiddling an impossibility.

Heavy duty rubber gloves that fit over good insulated gloves.

I agree with this recommendation. Inexpensive to buy or replace....truly waterproof and warm.

You can get a kind that will go INSIDE you coat sleeve so water never runs down into you glove.

And useful for anything else you need warm waterproof gloves for.

I agree with this recommendation. Inexpensive to buy or replace....truly waterproof and warm.

You can get a kind that will go INSIDE you coat sleeve so water never runs down into you glove.

And useful for anything else you need warm waterproof gloves for.

If I ever have to dig thru a toxic waste site, I'm prepared:)

The new BMW ProWinter gloves do insulate and are supposed to be waterproof due to their Goretex layer. Another feature is the special finger material that works with a smartphone screen. Compared to some others they aren't too crazy expensive either.

I just shake my head sometimes at this forum. :rolleyes I see gear snobs who when given the choice of spending $100 or $1000 for equivalent LED lights, won't think of going cheap. Yet, on keeping your hands warm and dry, not making the bike look pretty...oh, let's go with the cheapest solution.

I did the rubber gloves. For years, I resisted using anything electric on commutes ranging down to 16F for an hour each way. Yeah, sure, I found ways to make it work. But the biggest regret I had...was in waiting so long to go with electric gear. If you're sitting in traffic, you turn the heat down. If you're moving down the road later with the wind going over your body and making you a bit cool, you just turn the dial and get warm. You never have to be too hot, or too cold. And since the gloves at least are waterproof...you're dry too. :)

I ride year around. In the cold. In the rain. And I'm warm and dry from the moment I get out of my driveway till I arrive at the other end of the ride. :)

Chris

I just shake my head sometimes at this forum. :rolleyes I see gear snobs who when given the choice of spending $100 or $1000 for equivalent LED lights, won't think of going cheap. Yet, on keeping your hands warm and dry, not making the bike look pretty...oh, let's go with the cheapest solution.
Chris

If you're looking for rational thought, you might be in the wrong place.

If you're looking for rational thought, you might be in the wrong place.

I use aerostich over gloves that are very thin but waterproof and wind proof, over my summer Cabala elk hide gloves, along with a thin brown cloth glove in the Cabala glove. Coupled with my heated grips and toasty as can be. Below 30 and I will switch out the brown cloth gloves to a heated glove insert such (First Gear) which I find work much better than the more bulky Gerbing gloves. Plus, they are going on 3 years use now at a cost of $79 from Revzilla, vas the $179 I paid the the 1.5 years of use I got out of Gerbings. Good luck, as riding year around is a bit challenging (below 20 degrees) but in my book well worth the effort. But I like skiing in 0 or below temp. Also, so there may be something wrong with my thinking....:)

I agree with two suggestions made so far: (1) rubber gloves over your regular gloves do work fine; and (2) Aerostich three-finger overgloves work great also. The 'Stichs look a little better, if that is a concern. The rubber gloves are cheaper, if that is an issue. I have not had as good luck with my BMW 2-in-1 gloves; they are comfy and "sorta" warm, but only "sorta" waterproof. For some weird personal reason, I just don't like electric gear; I have good Gerbing vest and gloves that work fine, but I prefer non-electric stuff.

I agree with two suggestions made so far: (1) rubber gloves over your regular gloves do work fine; and (2) Aerostich three-finger overgloves work great also. The 'Stichs look a little better, if that is a concern. The rubber gloves are cheaper, if that is an issue. I have not had as good luck with my BMW 2-in-1 gloves; they are comfy and "sorta" warm, but only "sorta" waterproof. For some weird personal reason, I just don't like electric gear; I have good Gerbing vest and gloves that work fine, but I prefer non-electric stuff.

Remember the old orange rubber two-piece BMW gloves from the 1980's? One day, I found a pile of orange flakes in the bottom of my tank bag. The liners are somewhere, I think.

wow, thanks for all the replies. I looked at the Aerostich over glove, wasn't thrilled. I don't like the idea of two layers, but I might be able to get used to it. I was at the BMW dealer and looked at BMW's winter glove , $160 and kind of bulky, I have also been looking at Held. Revzilla has some goretex Held"s on closeout for $160.

I have not had as good luck with my BMW 2-in-1 gloves; they are comfy and "sorta" warm, but only "sorta" waterproof.

After 25,000 Km wearing these gloves this year I totally agree that these gloves are good+ but not great. I would say they are very good for anything but extremes in cold, wet OR heat. For very wet, my next try will be for the 'Stich Overgloves. Have not yet found a single pair of gloves that work for everything one can meet while riding a full riding season in North America.

After 25,000 Km wearing these gloves this year I totally agree that these gloves are good+ but not great. I would say they are very good for anything but extremes in cold, wet OR heat. For very wet, my next try will be for the 'Stich Overgloves. Have not yet found a single pair of gloves that work for everything one can meet while riding a full riding season in North America.

At any given moment a person would find at least three pairs of gloves in my motorcycle luggage: vented, short deerskin, and long deerskin gauntlet. In cooler temperatures I would also have a pair of heavier insulated "winter" gloves. Then I might omit the vented (mesh) but might not. We get 40 degree temperature swings here frequently.

I have bought a few pairs of "waterproof" gloves. None ever were really. Water resistant for short periods yes, but in a full day of rain nothing worked except changing into dry(er) gloves.

I have no personal experience but credible people have warned me that in a get-off rubber gloves can instantly grip the pavement causing arm injuries that would not happen with gloves sliding on the pavement. I'm not sure, but do not wish to test the hypothesis.

Last edited:
Back