• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Retirement!!!

Article about making the decision to retire:

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v71n4/v71n4p15.pdf

A lot depends on your feeling of what a suitable age to retire is. Old school was 65, but it also depends on where you work. The guys I worked with usually retired at 55. Target age now is 62, but you can still retire at 55 if you have 30 years in, and I am actually surprised at how many plan on hitting the exits at 55, almost all of them.

So here I am less than a month away from age 62, and still being awfully careful about deciding if and when to leave. In June I'll have 29 years in with a state DOT. I'll have a decent pension, decent social security, and decent savings.

Maybe I'm just being overly cautious. :confused:

Harry

A lot depends on your feeling of what a suitable age to retire is. Old school was 65, but it also depends on where you work. The guys I worked with usually retired at 55. Target age now is 62, but you can still retire at 55 if you have 30 years in, and I am actually surprised at how many plan on hitting the exits at 55, almost all of them.

So here I am less than a month away from age 62, and still being awfully careful about deciding if and when to leave. In June I'll have 29 years in with a state DOT. I'll have a decent pension, decent social security, and decent savings.

Harry

If your bill are payed off, go for it. If not get them payed off.

Harry

Perhaps, if you don't have to pay a penalty in pension benefits and you have adequate finds and manageable bills/debt, consider "Retirement" to be an opportunity to do something else. I've known lots of folks that have worked part time in retirement. It keeps you circulating within the community, involved with all age brackets and provides some pocket change for your hobbies.

Perhaps, if you don't have to pay a penalty in pension benefits and you have adequate finds and manageable bills/debt, consider "Retirement" to be an opportunity to do something else. I've known lots of folks that have worked part time in retirement. It keeps you circulating within the community, involved with all age brackets and provides some pocket change for your hobbies.

Thanks for the advice.

One thing I'd really like is having summers off. I haven't had that since I was very young. Before I got a permanent job I was a caddy at a local golf course and did that most of the time I was in jr. high and high school.

I do talk to the retirees who used to work where I am employed, and they all seem very happy with their choice to retire. I haven't met very many unhappy retirees. The vast majority are smiling.

Harry

Well, I am now retired. Yesterday, I played a casual round of golf, unmolested by loud, drunk foursomes and fivesomes which dominate on weekends. Very nice. Today, my wife and I drove over to Luling for some barbecue at the City Market. Wonderful. I have the next two weeks scheduled already. Saturday, I took the initial course to become a USGA Rules Official for amateur golf in the region.....I am very excited about that. Will start volunteering at tournaments in February. Busy and wonderful times!

OK, I'll shut up now!

Sounds like you are already lining up your second career Hugh :thumb

Any Golf Moms in the gallery at the amateur level:fight

And maybe a little rainy out by Luling today?

Well, I am now retired. Yesterday, I played a casual round of golf, unmolested by loud, drunk foursomes and fivesomes which dominate on weekends. Very nice. Today, my wife and I drove over to Luling for some barbecue at the City Market. Wonderful. I have the next two weeks scheduled already. Saturday, I took the initial course to become a USGA Rules Official for amateur golf in the region.....I am very excited about that. Will start volunteering at tournaments in February. Busy and wonderful times!

OK, I'll shut up now!

Sounds like your on the right path.

Be happy; you deserve it!

E

Decidied today was the day!

Woke up this morning and decided that today was the day! Went to personel office and signed the papers.33years and 11 months. Great career but time to move on. Alot of the blogs here got me to thinking, swapping time for money was exactly what I been doing. Time for a new adventure. 2145 this evening and a new beginning. Grannyman

Woke up this morning and decided that today was the day! Went to personel office and signed the papers.33years and 11 months. Great career but time to move on. Alot of the blogs here got me to thinking, swapping time for money was exactly what I been doing. Time for a new adventure. 2145 this evening and a new beginning. Grannyman

Congrats!!

You will find that "swapping time for money" was never a good deal - live within your new means and enjoy life. :thumb

Jump started

I got a call to work in another division of the company after two months of furlough. Went great for two days until I met some of the co-workers.
Thin skinned, cliquish.
At day nine I told HR that it wasn't for me.
48 hours later I was informed that after 29 years I was no longer an employee.

Now I'm on a 90 day pre-retirement trial.

Love it!

I was able to retire a little over a year ago at age 52. Scary, yes at first but that turned into total relief shortly. Everybody has their own set of circumstances to deal with in making the decision to retire. I liked the commit about getting a handful of water out of the ocean and see how much it is missed. Well let me tell ya the clock is ticking on us all. I had someone long ago tell me if you wait untill you think you have enough money to have kids you will never have kids and sorta the same thing with retirment. I have found out money goes much further now. Never saw a Brinks following a hearse.

Congratulations! I'm at 8 weeks and counting down. Gonna be a long couple of months...

Good timing. You will retire very close to riding season. I retired in 2003 at 55. I was eligible to retire in October of 2002 but I saw no good reason to retire as winter approached. I quit working on the first day of Daylight Saving Time but my accrued vacation made my offical retirement date June first.

Congrats to all

Congrats to all of you retirees, I'm happy you are happy. Some just see the world differently.
I am in my 71st year, I love the mental stimulation of going to my office every day, and most days I really like being there. I recently read somewhere that the single highest correlation with longevity is not to retire. I still feel like I have good, valuable work to do.
That said, I ride my R80ST to work many days, and I'm taking two week-plus rides this summer on my R1150GS.
Riding is indispensible to my high energy and good attitude about life. This is the balance that works for me.

Glad to read what all of you are writing. I am not sure I have enough assets to actually live here in Calif (where my 3 grown kids are), but am getting readier & closer to the glorious day.

Yes! Thanks.
As to the 94 year old gentleman, WOW! I'll need to lay in a few more cases of Red Breast (Irish Whisky) to make it to my 90's.

I was going to work till I was 70. I really enjoyed and was energized (mentally) by work. My last ten years of employment, I worked in the field, traveled all over the left coast and the left coast of Canada. Made new friends, helped in technical training, assisted engineers and architects on new projects. The best high was problem solving...conflict resolution between corporate crazy, corporate customers (contractor and distributor) and the end user. It doesn't get any better than that...if you love problem solving and consensus building! Anyway, I decided to build a new house (the retirement thing) and then decided that I could not do a good job of both at the same time, so I retired about a year and a half early. Built the house, about one year rather than three, and then was appointed to the County Planning Commission. Thus I'm back in the conflict resolution business. Also, now had the time to get a bike again (R1200C), after about a twenty five year sans bike period, and enjoy the many mountain roads all around me. It's almost like "eating your cake and having it too"! And, the icing on the cake, I also get to work in my new woodworking shop building furniture and "stuff". :clap

Back