• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lethal memory fail: why drivers see, and then forget motorcyclists

I think they see you, but don't think much of it.... the average driver doesn't have any sense of situational awareness, to them a bump is a inconvenience but that's about it, and it's never their fault.

I think the article is saying that there is more to it than that. What I understand their point to be is that there is a human characteristic that is at work in many “I didn’t see him” accidents. I don’t know if it is true or not but I do not discount it, nor do I think it cannot be overcome with training and commitment. I am pessimistic about the prospects of our society ever having the training and commitment needed to create drivers who can overcome the natural tendency to look but not observe.

I think the article is saying that there is more to it than that. What I understand their point to be is that there is a human characteristic that is at work in many “I didn’t see him” accidents. I don’t know if it is true or not but I do not discount it, nor do I think it cannot be overcome with training and commitment. I am pessimistic about the prospects of our society ever having the training and commitment needed to create drivers who can overcome the natural tendency to look but not observe.

I agree. The habits of most people tend to slip over time even with some amount of personal training and effort. Also it is hard and tiring to constantly look, observe, take note of what we see (motorcycle, VStrom, red) and commit it to memory. It is a part of why many (if not most) motorcyclists report that riding is very tiring - it is not all about the physical effort of it; it is also the mental alertness that must be quite high. All. The. Time. In reality, the same should be true about people in their cars - but seems less so much of the time.

Seems to roll along with the fact an “eyewitness” account of an incident can be really flawed.......by a number of factors.
OM

I was trained from an early age by my father to always look at least twice (started driving on the farm at age 12). Over my 50 years of driving, it's amazing how many times that second look has picked up on something I didn't "see" the first time. I think if everyone was trained that way, it could have a very positive effect on driver safety (and motorcycle safety).

Sorry Mate I didn't see ya

The SMIDSY maneuver as I approach any intersection, cut out or left turn lane (when vehicles are preparing to turn) to me is the antidote to making sure I am seen. I can't count the number of times I have done this and get a response from the other vehicle usually locking the brakes suddenly. Eye contact, front tires moving on the suspect vehicle, brakes always covered, having an out etc are always needed in these situations. Situational Awareness and Dynamic assessment with actions listed to help me navigate the Zombie Apocalypse. One of the best items posted here was the video below.

Chris

The SMIDSY maneuver as I approach any intersection, cut out or left turn lane (when vehicles are preparing to turn) to me is the antidote to making sure I am seen. Chris

I've doing this for years. With two auxiliary driving lights on my R1100 and two auxiliary and plus two fog lights on my K (as well as headlights on high beam on both bikes), I believe this manouever and the additional lights makes me more visible and possibly not in control and therefore something to be avoided. I enter the intersections with the bike stable and give either a nod or a quick wave as thanks for not pulling out in front of me.

:dance So far the Helite vest has not been inflated. :dance

I think another factor here is the danger of an approaching vehicle as assessed by the car driver. If they see a truck, car, bus, LEO approaching, they represent a potential danger to the driver. A single motorcycle doesn't so they don't take it into account or remember that it is there. In short, they cease to consider it or see it.

Back