• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I nominate Lacrosse, WI!!

ANDYVH

For a future BMW MOA rally I think the city of Lacrosse, WI would be an excellant location. Of course, being on the Ol' Miss helps for the character of the city, but the location, and the roads in any direction of Lacrosse really make it the east Tennessee of the northern Midwest. Coulees and hollers abound nearby, looking like the backroads of Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Some of the small river towns look almost like a trip to the Apallachians.

Its a great college town, full of youthful energy, still fully based in the great history of the ethnic influence of generations. Plus, they make a lot of great beer in Lacrosse. Many restaurants serve great basic foods in the heaping portions common to Wisconsin.

The roads radiating out in a 225 degree sweep from central Lacrosse are the best in Wisconsin for variety, technical riding demands, pure pleasure of sight, smell and sound. Mix in the quiet simple character of the many Amish of the counties around Lacrosse and you feel the centuries of unique difference of our modern rides to their basic one horsepower steeds.

LACrosse is a good choice if they consider it. I have gone to their Oktoberfest many times and the people, scenery and roads can't be beat.
Just a thought. Maybe after Blooomsburg????

For a future BMW MOA rally I think the city of Lacrosse, WI would be an excellant location. Of course, being on the Ol' Miss helps for the character of the city, but the location, and the roads in any direction of Lacrosse really make it the east Tennessee of the northern Midwest. Coulees and hollers abound nearby, looking like the backroads of Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Some of the small river towns look almost like a trip to the Apallachians.

Its a great college town, full of youthful energy, still fully based in the great history of the ethnic influence of generations. Plus, they make a lot of great beer in Lacrosse. Many restaurants serve great basic foods in the heaping portions common to Wisconsin.

The roads radiating out in a 225 degree sweep from central Lacrosse are the best in Wisconsin for variety, technical riding demands, pure pleasure of sight, smell and sound. Mix in the quiet simple character of the many Amish of the counties around Lacrosse and you feel the centuries of unique difference of our modern rides to their basic one horsepower steeds.

Whole-heartedly agree!

Often ride HWY 33 from WI Dells thru Wildcat Mtn. State Park to La Crosse - basically, Wisconsin's version of "The Dragon." Supherb scenery abounds, roads paralleling the Mississippi a joy to be on and La Crosse a neat city - could easily host 10,000 of the faithful.

Be sure to put it in an e-mail and send it off to the BOD - they can route it to the Site Selection Committee.

I hope your suggestion takes root. :bikes

Well, it sounds like the answer to my "need" to take my first cross-country bike trip since I was a younger man ... and only a few more kliks and I can visit my cousin in Cedarburg!

Rally sites are chosen 2 to 3 years in advance. I would guess that 2011 and 2012 sites have already been selected.

There are a lot of requirements for a site besides "this is a nice place" and the riding is great. A venue (most often a fairground or expo center) along with the necessary number of hotel rooms plus other requirements have to be met.

Chuck Manley or Ex Dir Ray Zimmerman both would be good folks to contact with suggestions.

when we were discussing rally sites a couple years ago, Jeff Dean mentioned La Crosse, too. I thought it looked good, too.

There is a convention center (see C and E in the pic below) *and* grass camping... now, can we sell our own beer? :whistle

ian

Attachments

• LaCrosse.jpg
    LaCrosse.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 252
Well, it is in Wisconsin, and Lacrosse has a vast beer history (Old Style, for one), so I would hope the beer favor of the state would apply to accomodate us like Oshkosh and West Bend had done.

Last edited:
That is, assuming our member faithful buys beer like we have in the past.

Gott in Himmel! What have I gotten myself into.. .. . .
icon_eek.gif

Bier Mit Wienies ?!?!
09.gif

A place east of the desert with roads like where I live can't be bad. With all of the qualifications the MOA has, it is very hard for any location to qualify. The number of people is one of the major reasons for many of the qualifications.

+1 definitely. My club's Great River Road Rally in the area has proven very successful. La Crosse is an excellent location for a large rally.

+1 definitely. My club's Great River Road Rally in the area has proven very successful. La Crosse is an excellent location for a large rally.

I'm on the Site selection committee with Chuck. LaCrosse would be a fantastic area. Excellent roads and very scenic. I've talked to folks there in the past and have even been to the fairgrounds. Unfortunately, there's little to no "green space" for camping at the Interstate fairgrounds. Exhibit/vendor space would be o.k.

There's even a Fairgrounds speedway, but it's Nascar and booked solid just about every weekend.

I'll mention it to Chuck, and perhaps set up an appointment just in case I haven't been looking at the right spot.

Thanks for the suggestion

La Crosse Rally

I nominate La Crosse also, and not just because I live there. The riding in this area is just great from the scenic (slow going) River Road to hundreds of miles of paved curvy and hilly backroads. The Interstate fairgrounds may work for a rally site and there are two more decent campgrounds within a mile or two for overflow. Lots of Motel space for (us) old farts too.

Steve Andrews
97 R1100RT

i passed through Lacrosse on my way to the rally in Gillette. i'd love to go back and spend some time exploring the area.

I'm on the Site selection committee with Chuck. LaCrosse would be a fantastic area. Excellent roads and very scenic. I've talked to folks there in the past and have even been to the fairgrounds. Unfortunately, there's little to no "green space" for camping at the Interstate fairgrounds. Exhibit/vendor space would be o.k.

There's even a Fairgrounds speedway, but it's Nascar and booked solid just about every weekend.

I'll mention it to Chuck, and perhaps set up an appointment just in case I haven't been looking at the right spot.

Thanks for the suggestion

personally, and given the state of many city/county/state budgets, i think it would be worthwhile asking about that downtown area... using the convention center for the event and the park for camping.

but who knows. :dunno

Fairgrounds_Racetrack.106102024.jpg

Attachments

• lacrosse_fairgrounds.JPG
    lacrosse_fairgrounds.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 116
Well, it is in Wisconsin, and Lacrosse has a vast beer history (Old Style, for one), so I would hope the beer favor of the state would apply to accomodate us like Oshkosh and West Bend had done.

Yes, Old Style beer. A bar in my hometown had it on tap. It was kept very cold, served in a frosted mug, and was the best tasting beer I ever had on a warm summer night.

Speaking of beer, anyone remember Hamm's and the commercials (cartoon style) with the bear? I remember seeing these commercials during Cubs' games. From the land of sky blue waters, Hamm's.

When I was a little kid, my folk used to meet friends for dinner at a local tavern when we went back to visit; Don & Katies was the name of the place in Paris, Illinois. Every inch of the walls along the ceiling was covered with magically illuminated (to me at 8) Hamm's signs. Don & Katies is where my parents made the monumental mistake of revealing to me that a "steak" could be had when eating away from home.

Hamm's the Beer Refreshing.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc7HoWEk6y8

Thanks for the memory!

Back