• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Belated Holiday Motorcycle Shots

G

grossjohann

These are in answer to SNC1923's suggestion that the Voorheesville Park would make a nice setting for an MOA holiday card.

I’m not sure that any of these would make the cut, but it was fun to sneak into the park with the bike.

If you have any more, please add your own!

-Alex

PS. Click image, then select "more information" for EXIF data.

Last edited:
Alex,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on some very fine images. These are no run-of-the-mill snapshots. Very, very nice work, indeed. I don't speak for the foundation, but I would be surprised if one or more of these did not receive very serious consideration.

Each of these is really successful in its own way, but I'm partial to the first:

DSC_6407.JPG

Again, truly outstanding.

I think I'm partial to the ones of the bike in the gazebo, esp. the one showing the bike facing the camera, and the last one in the series.

Some of the ones with the background or foreground out of focus just bothers me somehow. Maybe its because its a night shot and lights that are out of focus are simply more pronounced? The depth of field issue in the same shot in the daylight would probably add to the shot since it would make the bike the center of attention. But that's just me.

I do concur they are all nice shots, with the possible exception of the one with the blown-out clock face, It was the very first thing I saw and thus I found it very distracting.

RM

Alex,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on some very fine images. These are no run-of-the-mill snapshots. Very, very nice work, indeed. I don't speak for the foundation, but I would be surprised if one or more of these did not receive very serious consideration.

Each of these is really successful in its own way, but I'm partial to the first:

Again, truly outstanding.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tom. I’ll get these night shots some day…

I think I'm partial to the ones of the bike in the gazebo, esp. the one showing the bike facing the camera, and the last one in the series.

Some of the ones with the background or foreground out of focus just bothers me somehow. Maybe its because its a night shot and lights that are out of focus are simply more pronounced? The depth of field issue in the same shot in the daylight would probably add to the shot since it would make the bike the center of attention. But that's just me.

I do concur they are all nice shots, with the possible exception of the one with the blown-out clock face, It was the very first thing I saw and thus I found it very distracting.

RM

Thanks, RM.

I agree. A trade-off might be to try the same at dusk or early evening. The additional light would allow for a much shorter exposure.

I could have experimented a bit more with depth of field. I wasnt concerned about that because the shots looked quite clear in the 1.5 monitor I knew that the lights would bloom with the longer exposure, but it can be a little too much when added to a short depth of field.

I did consider photoshopping the shot with the clock. I had bracketed the exposure, and picked that one because it showed the bike (the subject) must clearly. The shots which showed the face properly were much too dark to see the bike. By combining both shots, one could show the best of both, but I didnÔÇÖt like the shot enough to warrant 2+ hours of photoshop time, so I deleted the darker ones.

-Alex

RM

I liked the Gazebo shots, too. They are very appealing photos and good, even exposures. My vote for the first shot was with a holiday card in mind. I feel that is a stronger image for that purpose. One could certainly mount that argument for the gazebo shots, too.

I rather liked the shallow depth of field--perhaps because it's more unusual in a night shot. The exposures are blown out though. That's the latitude of the image sensor. Because Alex exposed for the bike (and rightfully so) the much brighter lights on the tree/clock tend to be overexposed. One way to deal with this is fill flash (or if a longish exposure, a secondary light shining on the bike).

Your photos are generating discussion. That's always a good thing.

I liked the Gazebo shots, too. They are very appealing photos and good, even exposures. My vote for the first shot was with a holiday card in mind. I feel that is a stronger image for that purpose. One could certainly mount that argument for the gazebo shots, too.

I rather liked the shallow depth of field--perhaps because it's more unusual in a night shot. The exposures are blown out though. That's the latitude of the image sensor. Because Alex exposed for the bike (and rightfully so) the much brighter lights on the tree/clock tend to be overexposed. One way to deal with this is fill flash (or if a longish exposure, a secondary light shining on the bike).

Your photos are generating discussion. That's always a good thing.

I enjoy the discussion... I've been learning quite a bit.

Additional lighting would certainly do the trick. Either natural light from earlier in the day, or some well placed reflected lights (harder to bring with you on the bike, and IÔÇÖd probably need a permit from the town :deal )

Photoshop two exposures into one
+ =
(not my best photoshop image, but it shows the point...)

Fill flash

Back