• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 Colors in the Catskills 3

My pictures can be seen here. Thanks Friedle for making the best of what you had to work with. You still can't beat free camping and great riding. I'm sure you got a lot of complaints, but i think it was great. I hope this event is a go for next year. Take a look at the pics and you'll see why the initial reaction was to cancel the camping. Imagine running the rally and you wake up Friday morning to your camping and vendor area looking like this. Nice job Mike for keeping this together.

Brian

http://74.53.234.2/~riptide/mariner/showthread.php?t=1751

hey... you all had a built-in GS course!

01282010_036.jpg

Catskill and Hunter mountain

Well, it is a destination, riding up from Scranton the roads were great and the goodfellowship same with other members of the BlackDiamond Beemers.

Gee, unfortuantly the event attendence by vendors were sparse, the beer and the Brats were high in price and not very good. But, it has been the same everyyear. Really a blahhhh event, more suited to Harleys than real riders:whistle.

When you stop to think about it, all of the trinkets for sale, maple sluple stuff, ski boots and non bike stuff, makes this a great promo event for Hunter Mountain by Hunter Mountain and really has nothing to do with Beemers. Thanks to Max BMW and the other vendors, at least there was some redeeming features to the trip.

Next year, I think we would have been better going to Rinebeck to the Aerodrome. Any how, that my opinion and your welcome to it.:dunno

Colors 3

Well, it is a destination, riding up from Scranton the roads were great and the goodfellowship same with other members of the BlackDiamond Beemers.

Gee, unfortuantly the event attendence by vendors were sparse, the beer and the Brats were high in price and not very good. But, it has been the same everyyear. Really a blahhhh event, more suited to Harleys than real riders:whistle.

When you stop to think about it, all of the trinkets for sale, maple sluple stuff, ski boots and non bike stuff, makes this a great promo event for Hunter Mountain by Hunter Mountain and really has nothing to do with Beemers. Thanks to Max BMW and the other vendors, at least there was some redeeming features to the trip.

Next year, I think we would have been better going to Rinebeck to the Aerodrome. Any how, that my opinion and your welcome to it.:dunno

I'll agree with you that it is a great destination and I am glad you were able to enjoy the fellowship of your fellow club members.

Unfortunately, the same weather that had such an effect on the venue also had an effect on a number of the vendors getting to the event. Those vendors who did manage to make it there included some major players such as MAX BMW, Roadgear, Alt Riders, Adventurers Workshop, Road Hauler, HiViz Products, InstaMold, BMW MOA and of course the BMW Motorrad Demo Truck in addition to a number of other smaller vendors and supporters. According to the vendor feedback I received, they were happy with their results, especially given the situation and challenges of the weekend.

The "trinket vendors" were part of the Oktoberfest event and they did well with the Oktoberfest attendees. You're right in saying they really had nothing to do with Beemers, but they did add another element to the experience. I know at least a couple of riders who were gift shopping with the Oktoberfest vendors.

Colors in the Catskills has nothing to do with the beer and food vendors selection or pricing, other than arranging for a Mexican food vendor, Mole Mole, to be there with $2 overstuffed tacos and $7 full quesadilla dinners.

I am sorry if you missed out on the rides that were laid out for the "real riders", both off road and on road, or just those roads you might have explored by yourself with a GPS or a Jimapco map......if they were still open in the aftermath of the storm and flooding. Perhaps you were a real enough rider to attempt to ride the GS course Mother Nature constructed for us on Thursday evening right through our intended camping and vendor area.

I had a good time there, sorry if you didn't. Planning is already taking place for Colors in the Catskills 4.

Friedle

PS Just a heads up, the same people that organized the Colors in the Catskills also organize the Airheads at the Aerodrome, so you might not be happy there either. :laugh

Colors 3

Thanks to all who did manage to attend Colors in the Catskills 3. Thanks for bearing with us as the situation changed minute by minute on Friday and into Saturday morning.

There was no "play book" for this type of weather, planning disruption and destruction of roads and property, but with the enormous cooperation of our hosts, Hunter Mountain, we managed to pull it off for what turned out to be a spectacular Saturday and Sunday.

After it was evident that the original camping area was unusable, the decision was made to cancel camping for the weekend. Pre registered campers were notified to the extent possible and their fees were electronically refunded immediately. Those who arrived on site were directed to the local NY State campground which was believed to be open. They had also sustained some damage and no longer had any open spaces. Campers returned to Hunter with the news and a decision was made to not just send these people home in the rain, but to let them set up their tents in designated areas, at no charge. Hunter also opened the original vendor building for those campers who were cold or wet, or who just wanted to sleep inside. A number of people availed themselves of the opportunity by spreading out their pads and sleeping bags, in some cases even erecting their tents inside the building.

The vendors were relocated on Saturday morning to a blacktopped area where they were able to erect their displays which were held down by sandbags provided by Hunter, and were able to open for business as the first riders were starting to arrive Saturday morning. Yes, not all the expected vendors were able to make it to the event due to the storm, but those that were able to set up were well received by the attendees. Hunter Mountain is to be commended for all the assistance they offered to the Colors in the Catskills event, even as their personnel were extremely busy dealing with the damages to their own physical facilities.

A very big "Thank You" to Max and Ben Stratton of MAX BMW for all their support and faith in this event by providing for the BMW Demo Truck to be offering rides both Saturday and Sunday and for presenting the off road riding schools under some very challenging conditions. Where else are you going to go to get free off road riding tutoring of this caliber, regardless of what brand off road bike you showed up on? TEAM MAX was nothing less that full WOT all weekend! :dance

The concept of a FREE all brand, off road and road riding event featuring high quality vendors and seminars celebrating the approaching end of the riding season here in the Northeast is still a winner. We will be doing it again next year and it will be bigger and better than this year's event.

We hope to see you and all your friends again the first weekend of October, 2011.

Friedle

Planning is already taking place for Colors in the Catskills 4.

i'll be there again as this is a great event, it's close to home, and there is something of interest for the whole family.

the same people that organized the Colors in the Catskills also organize the Airheads at the Aerodrome

the one time i attended the Airhead event i had a good time, even though i had to leave early and could not enjoy the big dinner.

Michael, if you need any help in organizing either event drop me a line, i'll be more then happy to help out.

Thanks to the crew

Just like to add a thank you to the crew that organized the Color in the Catskills event. I took Friedle's short sport ride and used parts of the long sport ride for my trips to my hotel and then home. Nice roads, nice views, nice country. Riding to the top of Hunter Mountain on my new-to-me R1150GS was just one of the highlights of the weekend.
Thank You!

Colors were about 1 week before peak!

Coming in from Catskill, NY.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 151
Twisted Throttle brought the Trailer.

I got my Bags Connection Bags, Topcase and Barkbusters Handguards from Twiste Throttle in Peacedale, RI. Good stuff, great service, great prices!

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Max's BMW brought the team.

I test rode an R1150GS from Max and Ben! A Sweet Ride indeed....

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 149
John Baron took out the F650GS

Here's our line up. This Single Cylinder, twin exhaust beauty, has got some Mojo!

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 150
Ben took point

We headed West then North for some twisties, John in the F650GS in front, and behind me, a 2-up K1300GT.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 152
Twisties with Max's

I hope that 2-up couple is still riding. They seemed really happy during our brief conversations.... I hope he sells that Suzuki he told me about, because she really loved that K1300GT!

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 150
Frosty Sunday

I twas only 43 degrees on Sunday morning. Nice view of Windham Mtn over this old iron bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 150
Ok, "can you see me know???"

Nuff Said. Point Lookout seemed like a nice place to gas up, and snap a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 149
Headin' South from Point Lookout.

Gorgeous day to ride home from the Catskills!

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 149
Colors in the Catskills

I headed north to Color in the Catskills last month and frankly, if it wasn't for the Hunter Mountain Octoberfest, it probably wouldn't have been worth the trip. The ride up was nice, the weather was nice but there didn't seem to be much there having to do with Motorcycles. There were a few vendors in the front as well as MAX BMW with the Test Ride truck but otherwise, not much going on.

The Octoberfest however was wonderful. Really good food and the ride was enjoyable. Not a total waste.

Will have to think about wether or not it will be worth going again next year.

TL

I headed north to Color in the Catskills last month and frankly, if it wasn't for the Hunter Mountain Octoberfest, it probably wouldn't have been worth the trip. The ride up was nice, the weather was nice but there didn't seem to be much there having to do with Motorcycles. There were a few vendors in the front as well as MAX BMW with the Test Ride truck but otherwise, not much going on.

The Octoberfest however was wonderful. Really good food and the ride was enjoyable. Not a total waste.

TL

TDL

I sometimes feel the same way about rallies to regional events. What can be done to give it a better value or draw ?

Thanks

TL

I'm not a responsible party but it's my understanding that there will be more motorcycle events (poker run perhaps), more camping support and a more organized party Saturday night at CIC next year.

Color in the Catskills is a work in progress. It's pretty tough to get one of these things going and even tougher the way the economy has been the last few years. I think you'll really start to see this event take off now since it has survived really tough times including the terrible weather condition that did damage to Hunter the day before the event.
I believe it won't be too long now that people will be complaining that this rally has gotten too big!

Back