• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mini Rally Sturgis Michigan

Look for me

Ill Be on a R1200cl with my wife. and wearing blue jeans, and blue jean shirt with black vest and a black or bage hat. Look for me and Ill look for you all to.

scott

I'll be the one in jeans and a black t-shirt*

*I think that might be sixth time I've posted this joke on this forum!

Everyone is welcome, in my experience. I always see some Goldwings or other makes that are there. The more, the merrier!

That is great,i'm coming for saturday only with friend and i'm riding my Triumph.My K75 is in piecess waiting for new paint unless.............................:scratch .
See all you there,Y2K.

Mike; Sorry you can't make it, of course family comes first. The 16th. sounds doable, would you want to make your start time a bit later? (It's a long haul from Pentwater, and I work the night before).Steve, how does 10 A.M.Friday sound to you for a meet time? Perhaps at the Pentwater Convenience Center at the U.S. 31-Monroe Rd. exit? I'm buying the coffee. Dutch

Dutch, we will probably roll out around 9:30-9:45. Drop me a PM for more details...Sorry for the Hijack here folks.

looks like I never confirmed with anyone which day I was leaving for the ralley... well, it was/is Saturday- around 8:30 AM, for what its worth, now. Too bad we didn't plan on some meeting location for the ones who were active in this discussion.

Sturgis Mini Rally

This is me!

DSCN0643.jpg

Nice time and I won a tire gauge to boot!

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp201/sudani155/

Last edited:
Weather turn out pretty good

:dunno If only my part had come back from Oak I would of been down, but my Volvo just would not qualify as a MC by any stretch.

Hope everyone had a great time, how to catch the next one. Thinking about Tennessee but that is a week and being the only IT guy for my company, I have a hard time taking a week.

Hey...I saw you win that! Next year keep it in your shirt pocket and I'll know who you are :laugh

I was setting a couple tables over with Scott (Twisteddevil92) and his wife. My wife and daughter were with me Friday night and just my daughter Saturday night.

We had a good time.

Have a safe summer!!

Steve

Hey! We had a great time!!!!

Met a lot of very nice folks and enjoyed the entire event.

Struggling to put faces to names here on the forum. We got to know twisteddevil92 and wife on our awesome lunch run!

Working on putting up some pics right now from the lunch run. I'll get some links when they're done.

well, here is what I found. I arrived mid-afternoon on Saturday with my wife. I didn't know anyone. No one from the group came up and welcomed us, or made any move. My wife and I each paid the $20.00 entrance fee. I was told there were some bikes that could be taken on test rides.
I later found out that there was a drawing at 7pm but you had to be present to win. We had to leave before that, due to our travel distance, we gave our tickets to someone who was standing near us.

I wanted to buy a left-over shirt, from last years rally. However I didn't have $10.00 cash on me. I inquired if I could just send them a check--- figuring that, hell I paid $40.00 bucks cash to "register", was not a known felon and pretty sure I had a honest face. I was told I would have to leave my name and address and they would mail it to me- after I sent them the check!
I didn't bother.

We walked around and watched the few entrants in the biker contests. Over-all, my wife and I didn't especially get any warm fuzzy feeling being there.

I made a suggestion to the guy doing the registering that it would be nice if they supplied those sticky name tags- it would of been nice to be able to see who was who and where they came from. I got the feeling he didn't like some outsider butting in on their rally organization.

I doubt that I will ever make the effort to go again. I can think of better ways of spending $40.00 bucks!

Regardless, it was a great day for a ride- and we enjoyed that!

I can understand your feelings, jjd. It really helps if you know a few folks before you even get there. But if you sat down to watch the slow riding it would have been easy to strike up a conversation. I just stopped by for a few hours and spoke to a few people who were strangers up till then. It is a very laid back kind of rally. As you said, it was also a great day to ride! :)

I had a great time! Had a nice ride out to the Warren Dunes State Park on Saturday, and my Harley riding friend had a good time too.

I had a great time! Had a nice ride out to the Warren Dunes State Park on Saturday, and my Harley riding friend had a good time too.

BeemoKat:

Was your HD friend the guy riding the nice black and matted grey HD? Wasn't he complaining about the cold? :)

Had a Great Time

Hello all,

Me and my wife drove from Belle Center Ohio (30min east of Lima Ohio). We left here at 3pm on Friday, we were on the road for about 43 min and we hit a hick of a rain strom. Stopped at on overpass and got our rain gear on. We started off again, was about a mile or so further and my wife tapped me on the shoulder and said one of the straps came loose on the side bag so we stopped again and fixed that.

After that we were in the rain for well over 3/4 of the trip until we stopped in Mich. for gas. We got got gass and then arrived at the camp ground around 7pm.

The people there were nice and helped us get stuff straight. I had to find an ATM so we could get some cash for the registration. My wife stayed while i ran into town. Got back got all the paper work done and off to our campsite we went.

We got set up and then got set up. I have to say a BIG Thanks to Steve there in MIch. for letting us use his tent while we were there. Since we could get ours on our bike.

Meet alot of nice folks and had a great time durring the games me and my wife got placed in the Twinki contest. and had fun with the other ones.

Won a ralley t- shirt with the door price with the tickets. We had a great time for our Very First Rally and hope to go to more but it well be a while. I well be having my first Knee scope this wed. and the second one next month.

But meet and learned a lot about my bike from another rider with the same one, and got a lot of ideals how to set my bike up for the next rally due to one of the guys there that had one like mine.

All to all We had a Great time and hope to see you all that we meet there again soon and now me and my wife are not Ralley Vergins lololol. Hope to have some pictures up soon. thanks Scott and Mandy Sedlak :bikes i
This is me!

DSCN0643.jpg

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp201/sudani155/

Hey all; Well the better half and I got there @ 3:00 on Friday, and were all set up by 3:30. I was surprised that the entry fee was 20.00 EACH. I had assumed (and we all know what happens when we do that, don't we?) that the Fee was per bike. Other then leaving us a bit short on cash, no great problem. Joe I guess I should have asked what day you were coming down huh? Well we pig out on hot dogs Friday night and then spent most of the night shivering. I didn't realize that that it would be that cold that far south from here. Again, I had "assumed" that because it was close to the state line it would be warmer.(There I go again, assuming!!)Saturday was great! The wife and I spent most of the day ridding about in Indiana, checking out the farms and such. Spent most of the afternoon in Shipshewana (they were having their annual May fest) and returned to the rally sight happy and full of Dutch cooking. (I can STILL taste the sauerkraut and sausage two days latter!!) I'd have to say that it was a well organized rally, but didn't really feel like we belonged there. (Too much drinking I guess.) Saw a bunch of really nice bikes met a bunch of good folks, and won an air pump to boot. All in all, a pretty good time. Thanks to the Battle Creek club for putting this on, I know (having done this sort of thing myself) what a major PITA it can be. Perhaps name tags would be a good idea for next year? Vaya con Dios, Dutch

First Rally

This was the first Rally I've ever been to. I came alone and didn't know anyone there. I thought everyone I spoke to was pleasant and extremely knowlegable about BMW's. I can understand jjd's(?) feelings about not being welcomed. It seemed like everyone there was with a larger group of freinds. Luckily for me, I'm not too shy about introducing myself and starting conversations and met several good people leading up beer:thirty. All in all, I had a fine time except my sleeping bag was too light and my tent had shrunk since I last used it 17 years ago. I really think that the small rallies are better suited to small groups of people since their isn't as much to entertain with as with the national rally.

this is me :)
sturgis mini rally 090003.jpg

BeemoKat:

Was your HD friend the guy riding the nice black and matted grey HD? Wasn't he complaining about the cold? :)

That was someone else. She only complained a little, and with good humor.

Last edited:
This was really a last minute decision for us to go. We had vague plans for the GA Mtn Rally, but a couple of things held us back. First was just the time to get down there and second was the weather. It looked like a lot of rain. I don't mind riding in rain, but camping in rain is just not a lot of fun! So we opted for Michigan! And we really were rewarded with two fantastic days!

web.jpg

Getting things together, we left in very light sprinkles about 2pm and drove straight up on the slab. We got to south of Ft. Wayne when it was getting ready to pour. I pulled off for a gas stop and to let Pamela put her rain liner on. The station had a nice covered area so we hung around a little longer and let the heavier rain pass through while enjoying some of their hot food! This was definitely where the locals hung out.

Got back on the road and pulled into the Rally around 6:30. We paid our fee and grabbed a hot dog. They had closed the line, but quickly opened it back up as more like us started to arrive.

Next was tent setup. Decided on the field and found a nice spot out in the open. Our gear stayed pretty dry in spite of the rain and had a chance to air-dry a little the last part of the ride! So we were in good shape. We walked around and chatted with folks and enjoyed some good conversations before nodding off for the night.

web.jpg

The next morning was very pleasant with lots of sunshine. We rubbed the sleep out of our eyes and went over for some hot coffee and a pastry. Got signed up for a later lunch run and spent the morning chatting with more rally-goers.

web.jpg

The lunch run was a blast! We had a perfect day to ride. Pamela took an incredible number of pictures. They're on the link below. We passed by a beautiful old covered bridge spanning a nearby river. (pic above). Had lunch at a great BBQ place. Mmm.

web.jpg

We got back in time to take a little test ride on a new R1200RT. I like the newer bike, but not enough to give up my 1150 yet. This one was the lowered version, which I definitely feel is too cramped. The local dealer folks were very nice. They let us do a two-up test ride without hesitation. Our local dealer is less understanding.

web.jpg

We hung out for awhile and then went into town to work on gassing up the bike, getting some dinner and wine to enjoy that evening back at camp. We didn't win anything at the awards ceremony.

Enjoyed more conversations with folks and decided to call it a night a little earlier.

Sunday dawned another beautiful day. We had a fantastic pancake and sausage breakfast sponsored by the club and started to pack up. I had one OMG moment when we were packing up, the RT decided to take a nap in the grass. I had it on the center stand to load the side cases and it sunk in on one side. I saw it happening in slow motion and was able to catch the luggage rack I happened to be closest to, slowing it's descent. Thankfully nothing broke and had lots of help getting the beast uprighted again. Whew!

We had a gorgeous ride back home. Deciding to take the back roads. We left on IN-9 which is almost a straight shot for us. We jumped off briefly to get around Anderson on I-69, then hopped back on again towards home.

Total: 531 miles
Gas: ~13 gallons ($27)
Meals: ~$35

Not bad for a weekend of fun! Thanks to the Battle Creek Club for hosting a wonderful rally!

Link to photos:

Good times.

I had a great time, again. My buddy was riding the mostly restored Honda CB550Four that many of you may have seen. He had been worried about attending the rally riding a Honda but I assured him that he had nothing to worry about. Thanks to many of you for helping him feel welcomed, and not making a liar out of me!

Until next year....

Great Pictures

Very nice pictures on the link, Tell your better half she is great at taking picturs on the move. Is was nice to meet you and take the lunch run with ya. (Me and my wife are the ones with the life flight stuff). You got some great shots of the group on the roll and at the lunch spot. I'm going to down load them. I still have to check my email for the picture you sent me off of your phone. Thanks for the great time and it was GREAT to meet you folks.

Scott Sedlak
R1200CL

This was really a last minute decision for us to go. We had vague plans for the GA Mtn Rally, but a couple of things held us back. First was just the time to get down there and second was the weather. It looked like a lot of rain. I don't mind riding in rain, but camping in rain is just not a lot of fun! So we opted for Michigan! And we really were rewarded with two fantastic days!

web.jpg

Getting things together, we left in very light sprinkles about 2pm and drove straight up on the slab. We got to south of Ft. Wayne when it was getting ready to pour. I pulled off for a gas stop and to let Pamela put her rain liner on. The station had a nice covered area so we hung around a little longer and let the heavier rain pass through while enjoying some of their hot food! This was definitely where the locals hung out.

Got back on the road and pulled into the Rally around 6:30. We paid our fee and grabbed a hot dog. They had closed the line, but quickly opened it back up as more like us started to arrive.

Next was tent setup. Decided on the field and found a nice spot out in the open. Our gear stayed pretty dry in spite of the rain and had a chance to air-dry a little the last part of the ride! So we were in good shape. We walked around and chatted with folks and enjoyed some good conversations before nodding off for the night.

web.jpg

The next morning was very pleasant with lots of sunshine. We rubbed the sleep out of our eyes and went over for some hot coffee and a pastry. Got signed up for a later lunch run and spent the morning chatting with more rally-goers.

web.jpg

The lunch run was a blast! We had a perfect day to ride. Pamela took an incredible number of pictures. They're on the link below. We passed by a beautiful old covered bridge spanning a nearby river. (pic above). Had lunch at a great BBQ place. Mmm.

web.jpg

We got back in time to take a little test ride on a new R1200RT. I like the newer bike, but not enough to give up my 1150 yet. This one was the lowered version, which I definitely feel is too cramped. The local dealer folks were very nice. They let us do a two-up test ride without hesitation. Our local dealer is less understanding.

web.jpg

We hung out for awhile and then went into town to work on gassing up the bike, getting some dinner and wine to enjoy that evening back at camp. We didn't win anything at the awards ceremony.

Enjoyed more conversations with folks and decided to call it a night a little earlier.

Sunday dawned another beautiful day. We had a fantastic pancake and sausage breakfast sponsored by the club and started to pack up. I had one OMG moment when we were packing up, the RT decided to take a nap in the grass. I had it on the center stand to load the side cases and it sunk in on one side. I saw it happening in slow motion and was able to catch the luggage rack I happened to be closest to, slowing it's descent. Thankfully nothing broke and had lots of help getting the beast uprighted again. Whew!

We had a gorgeous ride back home. Deciding to take the back roads. We left on IN-9 which is almost a straight shot for us. We jumped off briefly to get around Anderson on I-69, then hopped back on again towards home.

Total: 531 miles
Gas: ~13 gallons ($27)
Meals: ~$35

Not bad for a weekend of fun! Thanks to the Battle Creek Club for hosting a wonderful rally!

Link to photos:

Back