• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I pass this sign on my way to work every day... Oh the irony!

I think you need to go in and take a photo of this helmet...enquiring minds want to know. :thumb

Yep, that's my next task. It is a vender I have used in the past, mostly biker wear. As I am not just a moron but an oxymoron, I have my colours sewn on the back of my BMW jacket. The proprietor was able to sew it on for me.

Looks like not too far off from the Police helmets-

bell%20half-shell3.jpg

With the average brain size about 1350cc's looks about right.
looks a lot better that the "half-cantaloupe" designs.
OM

Abate

My model for the photos was a soldier that walked in with me. Thank God the Army requires its soldiers to wear a minimum of protective gear when on a motorcycle, on or off duty. I've lost friends in the army on motorcycles, it's the # 1 reason why I'm an ATGATT guy, not necessarily for my protection, but specifically to set an example for others that they may live. (I don't get a lot of takers, as one can gather).

If only there was a national orginazation centered around a motorcycle company that could muster the political will power to counter ABATE and its agenda and had a philosophy that read something like: "regarded motorcycling and safety as being inseparably linked and anchored in the "Safety 360°" principle. "Safety 360°" breaks down the overall concept of safe motorcycling into three facets: safety technology in the vehicle, safety deriving from rider equipment and safety through rider training;"

Is this a political post or a safety equipment post? I don't know, but I wish there was a pro-helmet, pro-protection force out there in America that was fervent about creating legislation to save lives on motorcycles. I'm sure I pissed on someone's Cheerios with this post, but I've seen too many people, when given the choice will choose reckless. I think there's only like nineteenish states that require helmets... If we could do one thing and one thing only making people wear a minimum helmet would be a step in the right direction. Asking some to wear a lightweight DOT helmet at $116 retail doesn't seem like too much to ask.
Fire away: I got my my Kevlar sappie plate on.

IMO, when you see a head cracked open, massive road rash......see the survival/healing time and decide you don't want to experience it- a person seems to wear more protection.
Ever see what happens to someone who goes down wearing roller blades?
I don't bounce like I used to so I do the best I can to prepare but it's not perfect.
OM

Not so much a bounce more like a splat then a sloppy scraping sound, really ugly
I'm guilty, I'll run around here in town on the C650 sans helmet

I think there's only like nineteenish states that require helmets... If we could do one thing and one thing only making people wear a minimum helmet would be a step in the right direction. Asking some to wear a lightweight DOT helmet at $116 retail doesn't seem like too much to ask.
Fire away: I got my my Kevlar sappie plate on.

PA used to have a helmet law with ambiguous wording on what constituted a helmet. In any case, lots of those minimum helmets were sold and usually decorated with profanity or some form of constitutional blather. Then one day, the state government eliminated the law.

Now, most all motorcycle accident reports include a statement on whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet.

Sadly, the only difference I see is ........ we now know when a rider wasn't wearing a helmet vs one possibly wearing an excuse/joke.

Did a weeklong tour through New England with a bunch of friends and we had to stop at every state line so they could take their helmets off, or put them on depending.
I was not part of that on off routine.

From a Canadian's view:

America is a strange and wonderful place, beyond my understanding. An experiment in progress i guess.

My son is turning 16 and my rear that he will be riding a motorcycle is palpable.
He will be wearing a helmet though.

I am not able to see the attached image though. Can it be re-posted?

Start One Yourself, Reece...

You have the knowledge, connections and the passion. Every thing began from nothing except an idea and the will to see it created. Start with one post on a Website. That is 100% more than the day before...Tiny bites...:nod

When I started riding, didn't know if I would like it so I borrowed everything I could (including an old single cylinder Honda and an open face helmet.) It took me exactly one short ride through rain before I purchased my first full face helmet. Cheap leather gloves, a leather jacket from a thrift store, and hiking boots were my garb then. All that has improved - at substantial cost - with much improved comfort. Hey, I've even bought a few motorcycles.

While I am not sorry BC requires helmets (and a fake helmet will likely satisfy the law,) I do wonder if riders who chose to ride without a helmet where legal, a fake helmet where one is required, or an open face one (presumably welcoming the sting of rain and bugs and the possibility of a crash rearranging their face) actually have a brain worth protecting. If they don't think so, why should us ATGATT nuts legislate them into doing just that?

BTW, if you require truly protective helmets, where does it end? When I say I'm an ATGATT person, I'm exaggerating - I don't own an instantly inflatable vest. From what I've read, they will reduce injuries in a crash and probably actually save some lives. Should they be legally required?

I'm coming down on the side of allowing people to take the additional risks they please when they ride motorcycles if they don't endanger the rest of us. Of course, there is a substantial percentage of the population who think the act of riding a motorcycle is too dangerous an activity to be allowed. We don't want to go there.

Back