• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heated seat swap 04 K1200GT

peterkenzler

Airhead Smitten
I am thinking about buying a Corbin heated seat for my 04 K1200GT. The seat is from an earlier K1200RS which I assume did not have the Cambus electrical system so the pigtail is different. Do yous guys know if it is as simple as retro fitting a new pigtail or is there something obscure I am not thinking of.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about buying a Corbin heated seat for my 04 K1200GT. The seat is from an earlier K1200RS which I assume did not have the Cambus electrical system so the pigtail is different. Do yous guys know if it is as simple as retro fitting a new pigtail or is there something obscure I am not thinking of.

Thanks in advance

my .02
The "pigtail" or plug, is probably just whichever style Corbin or the prior owner of the seat chose to use.
I was told that Sargent Seats, in the past anyway, were not allowed to use BMW OEM plugs on their seats.
So if you purchased a Sargent, you had to improvise the connectors upon receipt.

If your 2004 K1200GT still has the OEM connector for the heated seat you just need to buy the other half from BMW and splice it on to the Corbin pigtail.

Or, just source a male and a female plug from Radio Shack or some such and splice them in place of, or in addition to, the existing connectors.

d'milan

Your '04 does not have a Canbus electrical system.
One might 'assume' Corbin used BMW compatible wiring as the GT & RS used the same seats, though only the GT had the heat option. It's also possible Corbin offered a package for the RS with their own wiring / switch that wil be completely different.

my .02
The "pigtail" or plug, is probably just whichever style Corbin or the prior owner of the seat chose to use.
I was told that Sargent Seats, in the past anyway, were not allowed to use BMW OEM plugs on their seats.
So if you purchased a Sargent, you had to improvise the connectors upon receipt.

If your 2004 K1200GT still has the OEM connector for the heated seat you just need to buy the other half from BMW and splice it on to the Corbin pigtail.

Or, just source a male and a female plug from Radio Shack or some such and splice them in place of, or in addition to, the existing connectors.

d'milan

Just bought an 04 with a Sargent seat and in which the heated seat function does not work. What improvise is needed?

Just bought an 04 with a Sargent seat and in which the heated seat function does not work. What improvise is needed?

Welcome to the Forum!

Just basic trouble shooting. Go to the seat connection and unplug it. Do you get voltage at the bike side of that connector when you turn on the switch?

:dance:dance:dance

It might be the saddle heat element's failed. An ohmmeter across the plug from the saddle should something like 2-10 ohms ("some, but not much"). If all you see is the same as the meter leads not touching anything, the element's failed. If that checks out OK, then look for 12V on the plug going to the saddle. Remember to set the heat switch to "high" and have the ignition on (may need the engine running, too).

Welcome to the Forum!

Just basic trouble shooting. Go to the seat connection and unplug it. Do you get voltage at the bike side of that connector when you turn on the switch?

:dance:dance:dance

Ah, I have a non electric heater seat. Which explains why did does not work. So good thing I live on the Gulf Coast and I can live without the heated seat.

Back