• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New 2013 R 1200 GS

If you have to ask...

:lurk

If I could afford a new RT, I could afford whatever the GS costs, BUT, I am curious as I wonder if it is cheaper as I'd bet they have outsourced a lot of stuff to non-german manufacturers, meaning it may be assembled in Germany, but it wasn't made there... :lurk

Any thoughts on when the R and RT get the motor...

If history is any indicator the RT would be next and most likely as a 2014 model. The R has always been the last model to get upgrades. It may happen in late 2014. However, European economic conditions could slow things down.

Happy to see the new bike is designed to run on e-gas. Even if only 10%, it is a move in the right direction. While I have yet to see one of these in person, I like what I'm seeing so far. It appears BMW has really tried to take this bike to the next level. I'm not in the market for a new GSA, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with when that model is introduced.

Happy to see the new bike is designed to run on e-gas. Even if only 10%, it is a move in the right direction. .

From the context of the press release, I'm interpreting "e-gas" as the BMW term for the electronic, throttle by wire system. That is, the "e" does NOT refer to ethanol in any way.

"E-gas and cruise control.
An electromotive throttle actuator is now used for the first time in a GS motorcycle. Here, rider commands are passed on directly by the sensor in the accelerator twist grip to the engine control system; this then regulates the throttle valve electronically. The use of the E-gas system provides a significant improvement in terms of controllability and response. What is more, the rider can adapt engine characteristics to the situation on the road by means of five modes (optional extra). It was also possible to include an electronic cruise control function (optional extra)."

Larry

Any thoughts on when the R and RT get the motor...
My *guess,* based on past practice, is 6 months to a year later, as a 2014 model.

I'm *keenly* interested in how the RT turns out, as the new head of Motorcycles in the US stated in Sedalia that the RT is the "most changed" of all the new models.

Having just replaced the final drive on my 08 RT with only 50,000 km, the big question is: Will the new boxers have a final drive that is not prone to premature failure? Unless the new bikes accummulate a respectable service record re final drives, I won't be buying one. Or any other BMW for that matter.

I ride a 12 R1200R. Won't be buying a bike soon.

E gas to me means drive by wire. As in no throttle cable.

Final drive? Did they switch to the one used on K bikes like the 6 banger? Is it better?

I would hesitate to buy the untested model.

I like the rest of what they have done.

David

New R1200GS

What is the seat height?

Are they still building the GS for people with 36 inch inseams or can those of us who are vertically challenged with 28 inch inseams be accommodated with a low seat that will enable us to flat foot a BMW bike?

Bill

What is the seat height?

Are they still building the GS for people with 36 inch inseams or can those of us who are vertically challenged with 28 inch inseams be accommodated with a low seat that will enable us to flat foot a BMW bike?

Bill
New GS:

Seat height, unladen weight 850 / 870 mm (low seat* 820 / 840 mm, lowered suspension* 790 / 810 mm) *OE

Inner leg curve, unladen weight 1870 / 1910 mm (low seat* 1820/1860 mm, lowered suspension* 1770 / 1810 mm) *OE

Old GS:

Seat height, unladen weight 33.5/34.3 inches (850/870 mm) low seat: 32.3 inches
(820 mm), lowered suspension: 31.1 inches (790 mm)

Inner leg curve, unladen weight (none given)

So, same height, but given the "thinness" comments, it may be a shorter inner leg curve.

FWIW, BMW is certainly starting to pay attention to the seat height comments -- the K16 seat is a lot lower/shorter inner leg curve than the previous K12LT or R12RT.

Ergonomics can be a weird issue on an individual level, so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, meaning that I'm a bit long-waisted and therefore have lumbar support issues. The GS was the only model on which I could get my knees low enough to get my lumbar into a tolerably comfy range of positioning for long rides, and even then I wasn't truly happy until I lowered my '07 GS's pegs by about 1". I wonder how comfy I'd find this new GS, given the similarity in some of the numbers but also those key diferences. Can't wait to throw a leg over and find out.

Ergonomics can be a weird issue on an individual level, so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, meaning that I'm a bit long-waisted and therefore have lumbar support issues. The GS was the only model on which I could get my knees low enough to get my lumbar into a tolerably comfy range of positioning for long rides, and even then I wasn't truly happy until I lowered my '07 GS's pegs by about 1". I wonder how comfy I'd find this new GS, given the similarity in some of the numbers but also those key diferences. Can't wait to throw a leg over and find out.

I am 6'5, 34" and I know what you mean...I ride a RT and I should have gotten the GSA. For me, it's pain in the pelvic and tail bones, and the lip from the pillion is aggravating too. I'll definitely try the new wasser boxer and see if it's an improvement.

I just don't understand the constant comments about seats and heights.
No such thing as a perfect combo for everybody.
Now if you really want the bike (which ever model or brand it is), you will modify it to suit you anyway (If required).

I just don't understand the constant comments about seats and heights.
No such thing as a perfect combo for everybody.
Now if you really want the bike (which ever model or brand it is), you will modify it to suit you anyway (If required).

Exactly, at least within what is reasonably possible. I not only lowered the pegs; I also had a seat built to suit my particular needs. With these two modifications it was finally about as right as could be reasonably expected, and I was happy. The bike is gone now but I kept the seat in case I get another 1200GS.

Back