• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Hexhead highway pegs from Ilium Works... '09 R1200 RT

andrewsi

Geeeeeeeeek.
Found these by chance on the web yesterday.

In short: Anybody tried them yet?

I have struggled quite a bit with finding a good highway peg solution for the RT. Most of the ones that use the cylinder head as a mount point wouldn't be that great for me - the splayed position looks pretty uncomfortable given the wide fairing. What I've done currently is mounted some clamp-on Kuryakyn pegs on my Touratech engine guard. That's been pretty good for stretching my knees out from the achies, but they also scrape a bit too soon for my liking when they're folded out for use. This has also gotten me a bit hesitant to lean as much as I'd like to even when they're folded up. I'm in no way an aggressive rider, but I'd like to have my lean angle back for both safety margin and increased confidence.

These Ilium pegs look like they might do a nice job of curing that, but before I blow $300 (and the sunk cost of the old ones) I thought I'd see if anyone else had tried 'em out yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully someone that has some expierence with these will post because I would also like to know for my RT. I think one of the questions is will they work with engine bars or even the plastic engine guards. On their web site I couldn't tell what holes they were bolting these to.
I presently have the Talon foot pegs and modified them to work with the engine bars but I wasn't really satisified with them so when I am back in the US next week I am going to modify them again and see if I can't get them to work better once more.I am going to modify the Talons to work on the lower holes rather than the top ones and this is with the engine bars in place.
I have a thirty inch inseam and getting around all the tuperware is a problem for me.:violin

Yikes

$299 USD = $309 Canbucks! my gawd that seems pricey. Must be made of titanium! the posters b4, I would love to hear experience before plunking down cash. I too am looking for something to stop my knee-ache issues - especially since I am considering doing the Iron Butt thing to Redmond this year.

Those look pretty cool. You might get more interest if the title of the thread just referred to Hexhead highway pegs. It seems from the website that the pegs are identical or nearly identical for all hexheads.

Apologies if that's wrong...., but I don't think so.

I e-mailed them to ask if there were any reviews I could read. No answer yet. Asked this same Q over at BMWSportTouring. So far, nobody tried them. They do look like an excellent design but at that price I'm not going to be the first to try them.

I would be more concerned with them dragging. They sit low.

They're higher than the setup I've currently got (see pg. 68 of this month's ON for a picture of me with my current pegs in the folded-up position) - they drag pretty near Harley-style when I've actually got them down in use. But, as I said at the start, I need something allowing me to move around a bit, or my knees pretty much make long distance rides impossible. I'm still tempted, although I think this price is pretty obscene.

I just clicked 'Purchase' on a set of these. I'll post a review about, oh, end of April, given the current weather in Michigan.:banghead

I called Ilium and spoke with a nice fella by the name of Rod. I told him I had heard about his pegs on this forum. He told me the pegs had a 1 year warranty and also said they had a 30 day full refund policy - no questions asked, if it didn't work out for me. I assumed I would have to pay shipping to return them. I am in the midst of moving so I am going to wait, probably March, so I can take full advantage of the 30 days to test them.

I PM'd 35675 a month or more ago.....no response. I had the parts guy at my dealer take a look at the photos at the website and he didn't have any issues with how they were mounted (unlike the products using the cylinder head bolts).

Haven't ordered it yet, but I really want to!

I was just looking at them on line today, after seeing them in the MOA ON. I liked what I saw and read about them until I got to the price. I'm going to wait a year or so then get them from the flea market for half price.

I just finished installing them Saturday and was heading out Sunday to test them. However, about 2 miles from home my RT just died - quit running - and won't start up, just cranks over. Had to call a tow truck to get me & the bike home. I hope to get the bike into the dealership tomorrow (they're closed today), get it running again. I am planning a quick weekend trip to Moab, Utah this coming weekend. Assuming it all works out, I'll give you feedback when I return.

I did not care for the gray/silver color so I had them painted a satin finish black. IMHO this "hides" the mounting bracket and makes it less conspicious when the pegs are folded inward when not in use. The install was really straight forward no problems with clearance. I installed the mounting brackets first without the pegs, then later adjusted and installed the pegs to fit my short legs (29" inseam). First impression sitting on the bike in the garage seeems like it will be comfortable, my legs don't rub agains the lower part of the fairing, like other systems I've checked.

NOW if it would just start......:dunno

I just finished installing them Saturday and was heading out Sunday to test them. However, about 2 miles from home my RT just died - quit running - and won't start up, just cranks over. /QUOTE]

Did the Ilium pegs cause the kill issue?:eat

Found these by chance on the web yesterday.

In short: Anybody tried them yet?

I have struggled quite a bit with finding a good highway peg solution for the RT. Most of the ones that use the cylinder head as a mount point wouldn't be that great for me - the splayed position looks pretty uncomfortable given the wide fairing. What I've done currently is mounted some clamp-on Kuryakyn pegs on my Touratech engine guard. That's been pretty good for stretching my knees out from the achies, but they also scrape a bit too soon for my liking when they're folded out for use. This has also gotten me a bit hesitant to lean as much as I'd like to even when they're folded up. I'm in no way an aggressive rider, but I'd like to have my lean angle back for both safety margin and increased confidence.

These Ilium pegs look like they might do a nice job of curing that, but before I blow $300 (and the sunk cost of the old ones) I thought I'd see if anyone else had tried 'em out yet.

I just got 'em put on my RT... they work GREAT!! Provides another place to rest your legs and give some change to rear end position. I haven't been on a trip with them yet (that's coming in July to Colorado), but for the riding I've been doing around town, these things are great. Also, they fold away under the cylinder heads when not in use.

Back