• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Turning the Scooter in tight spaces?

mikemill

Hi All
My driveway is sloped just about all the way up to the garage.
My garage is limited in width. (it's one of those 1,5 car garages with work table and cupboards either side)
Turning the scooter around in the garage is a small challenge every time.

If I try to turn it on the driveway, its difficult, due to the slope.
I have basically to do several iterations of backwards and forwards in the garage to get it around. (5 point turn, so to speak)
Having to lift the side stand, also makes this maneovour tricky.

On previous BMW R Series, I could swing the bike on one leg of the center stand.
I know this is a well known tactic but not sure if it is Motorrad sanctioned?
Because of the very rear position of the Scooter center stand, this is just about impossible?
There is a lot of weight on the front wheel.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I am thinking of a very low, 3 wheeled triangular cart, which I can slip under the front wheel, to act as Dolly.
Then should be able to swing the bike around on the c/stand and front wheel dolly.

Hopefully though, someone has this problem already figured out?
I did a quick thread check but could not find the answer.

Thanks,
Mike.

On a polished floor I use a 1/4", 12 x 18' plate, with teflon buttons on the bottom.
Put scoot center stand on plate, Bob's your uncle.

Mike:

I ride mine in and park it parallel to, and ahead of my car. To exit, I get on the bike, walk it out backwards, and do a 90 degree reverse turn onto the garage apron, parallel to the front of the garage, then put it back on the stand. Works good.

I find that as long as I'm straddling the bike, I can control it.

Last edited:
How long is the driveway? Is it straight? If not too steep, you could just paddlewalk backwards out of the garage and roll down to the street.

On a polished floor I use a 1/4", 12 x 18' plate, with teflon buttons on the bottom.
Put scoot center stand on plate, Bob's your uncle.

Thanks 30300,
I will goggle Teflon buttons and see where are they available.
Approx how many buttons did you use on the 12" * 18" plate. On a 2" centre-to-center spacing?

You using the plate on a typical cement garage floor? You mentioned polished floor?
Do you think it would work on an unpolished cement garage floor (smooth finish)

I do not know if I have lost all my strength, but for the life of me I cannot lift the front wheel when the bike is on its center stand. :cry
Even standing in front of the wheel and grabbing the wheel rim with both hands.
So, assuming that once you have the Scooter on the plate, do you just swing the back of the scooter around, with the front wheel acting as the center pivot point?

Thanks a lot.
Mike

How long is the driveway? Is it straight? If not too steep, you could just paddlewalk backwards out of the garage and roll down to the street.

Thanks dbrick,
I have to negotiate between 2 * parked cars.
Its tight going forward but relatively easy to do. Just got to be careful.
Trying to go backwards freewheeling down the hill, I have yet to try!
Regards,
Mike.

Mike:

I ride mine in and park it parallel to, and ahead of my car. To exit, I get on the bike, walk it out backwards, and do a 90 degree reverse turn onto the garage apron, parallel to the front of the garage, then put it back on the stand. Works good.

I find that as long as I'm straddling the bike, I can control it.

Hi RINTY,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have a very narrow garage apron before the slope.
I have already tried that technique and it is do-able but a hassle.
The easily swiveling of the R-series bikes has spoilt me!

Mike

The car occupying the left side of our driveway is always parked close to the sidewalk, leaving a decent amount of space in front. When returning home, I ride up the driveway, making a left turn in front of the car on the left. From there I paddle/walk it backwards 90 degrees into the garage, ready to be ridden out for the next trip. The other bike is (whichever one it happens to be) is parked on the lift, and when it exits, I make a 90 degree turn out of the garage in front of the left parked car. From there, I fire it up and ride out. Granted, I do have a sloped, three lane driveway, but not a very steep incline.

If you wish to pay for shipping, feel free to have my turn table affair that I bought years ago from the Duluth Company. I never had much success with it, but it might work for you if the centre stand is at the back of the scooter. I did not have enough weight to lift the front up and pivot the bike around.

If you wish to pay for shipping, feel free to have my turn table affair that I bought years ago from the Duluth Company. I never had much success with it, but it might work for you if the centre stand is at the back of the scooter. I did not have enough weight to lift the front up and pivot the bike around.

Paul,
Thanks for the kind offer.
Will try and send you a PM if I get how to do it figured out
Regards,
Mike

Paul,
Thanks for the kind offer.
Will try and send you a PM if I get how to do it figured out
Regards,
Mike
It's easy Mike, top of the screen it says private messages Just follow along from there. OR you can click on Paul_F and you will be given some choices, one will be send private message. When you have/get one- Notifications in upper right will show. Good to go :thumb
Gary

I got a 1000# turntable 12" diameter from Lowes and bolted a 12 x 18 piece of sheet metal on top, total cost $25. Put centerstand legs on it, and spin. Worked great for my RT. I found it easier to push down on the back than lifting the front wheel (apparently I weigh more than I can lift :()

Swinging the Scooter

I got a 1000# turntable 12" diameter from Lowes and bolted a 12 x 18 piece of sheet metal on top, total cost $25. Put centerstand legs on it, and spin. Worked great for my RT. I found it easier to push down on the back than lifting the front wheel (apparently I weigh more than I can lift :()

Thanks wbrownell9-etc,
I just managed to find what I was looking for.
The local (USA) name of "Lazy Susan" was the answer to a successful google
On line price for a 1000 lb'er is $10.37
Will try my local Lowes or Home Depot tomorrow.

Paul_F is kindly offering me a free unit, but shipping is probably going to cost more than local price.
I will discuss with Paul.

As mentioned before, the RT's are a lot friendlier than the scooter w.r.t centerstand position.
If you have enough weight, acting on the back of the scooter, to get the front wheel to lift, you would not be physically fit enough to be able to ride.
My guess is close to or more than to 400lb would be needed.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

I believe my route will be to fit a thick approx. 7ft plank onto the Lazy Susan, perhaps with some side strengthening (to stop bending)
Then drive onto the plank, spin the system whilst on the bike and plank and then drive off the plank and park.
There is very nicely put together DIY Youtube showing this technique.

Regards and once again thanks for responding.

Mike.

Back