• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

FOB for RT?

rwl1955

As I stated in a thread about new tires, PR 5's, the tech snapped off the key on my FOB removing the bags and they ordered me a new one. I picked it up Saturday and it doesn't start the bike. Does the FOB have to be programmed to the bike? AJ's, where my tires were purchased and mounted, is not a BMW dealer anymore.

Last edited:
I purchased a separate key for locking the truck which is from my old 2005 RT. No electronics, just a key. Also use it for removing the bags and seat. I keep it in the glove box. This way I never need to use the key on the FOB.

I purchased a separate key for locking the truck which is from my old 2005 RT. No electronics, just a key. Also use it for removing the bags and seat. I keep it in the glove box. This way I never need to use the key on the FOB.

The seat lock on our bikes is a little stiff so we have a metal non chipped key I use on the locks.
The fob rarely leaves our pants pocket on trips.

Is this a BMW only type item? Can I get one local? This is a great idea.

Which year RT? As long as you have the old FOB, you can program a replacement yourself, at least on the later models.

Is this a BMW only type item? Can I get one local? This is a great idea.

... This is an official BMW key like from the good'ole days; what is now known as a "standard" key. You get it from your MOTORRAD dealer, cut for your VIN #.

Back