• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 High Beam Indicator Stuck On

jbf

Hey all,

So I've been having an issue for a while now, but it is starting to get to me.

Anytime I turn my ignition key/switch to the right, my high beam indicator illuminates and stays on. If I turn the key to the right (parking lamp) I only see the indicator lamp turn on when I "flash" my high beams.

Any idea what might be causing it? Could this be a ground issue on the ignition key switch board? Has anyone had a similar problem before?

Thanks so much,

Jonathan

Anytime I turn my ignition key/switch to the right, my high beam indicator illuminates and stays on. If I turn the key to the right (parking lamp) I only see the indicator lamp turn on when I "flash" my high beams.

clarify please

This might help

R75/5 (with fuses)

slash5_wire.jpg

EDIT - replaced downloaded wiring diagram image with linked version.

Last edited:
clarify please

Sorry Was late when I posted that. Sleep deprivation got the best of me! Hah.

When I turn my key/ignition switch to the right to turn my headlamp on, the high beam indicator stays on no matter if high or low beams are activated on the handlebar control. Though when I move the key/ignition to the left (parking light position) the high beam indicator only turns on when I flash the high beam indicator with the handlebar controls.

If the headlamp is off and the key is in the normal up/down position the high beam indicator is not active.

Basically it looks like the high beam indicator had a problem when the key ignition switch is in the headlamp "on" position. I've looked at the electrical schematic but not so sure I totally know how to diagnose the
problem.

When I turn my key/ignition switch to the right to turn my headlamp on, the high beam indicator stays on no matter if high or low beams are activated on the handlebar control.

when I move the key/ignition to the left (parking light position) the high beam indicator only turns on when I flash the high beam indicator with the handlebar controls.

The first thing you're going to need to get into the headlight nacelle and verify the wires are connected to the correct terminals.
I'd look at the headlight bulb connector first and make sure it's properly connected (the Hi-beam indicator (ref. "g") is fed by the white wire coming from the headlight connector (it's position might be switched))

Not as easy to follow in black & white, but more information is contained on this version (terminal numbers/letters)
You can use "control" and "+" (at the same time) to enlarge this image "control" and " - " to reduce it.
bmw-om-wiring.jpg

Wiring diagram

1. Turn signal switch
2. Head light

a. Turn signal flasher
b. Head light high beam
c. Head light low beam
d. Parking light
e. Cable connector
f. Ignition and light switch
g. High beam indicator light (blue)
h. Instrument illumination
j. Oil pressure indicator light (orange)
k. Neutral indicator light (green)
l. Battery charging indicator light (red)
3. Dimmer switch
4. Turn signal, front, right
5. Hand brake stop light switch
6. Turn signal, front, left
7. Ground connection on frame for ignition coils
8. Relay for repeat start prevention
9. Horn
10. Contact breaker
11. Ignition coils
12. Condenser
13. Neutral indicator light switch
14. Oil pressure indicator light switch
15. Foot brake stop light switch
16. Diode plate
17. Spark plugs with caps
18. Three-phase alternator
19. Plug connection in wiring harness
20. Turn signal, rear, right
21. Tail light

j. Rear light and license plate illumination
k. Stop light
22. Turn signal, rear left
23. Voltage regulator
24. Battery
25. Ground connection on transmission cover
26. Starter motor

Wiring color coding

BL = blue
BR = brown
GE = amber
GR = grey
GN = green
RT = red
SW = black
WS = white

Attachments

• head light connector.jpg
    head light connector.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 66
The first thing you're going to need to get into the headlight nacelle and verify the wires are connected to the correct terminals.
I'd look at the headlight bulb connector first and make sure it's properly connected (the Hi-beam indicator (ref. "g") is fed by the white wire coming from the headlight connector (it's position might be switched))

Not as easy to follow in black & white, but more information is contained on this version (terminal numbers/letters)
You can use "control" and "+" (at the same time) to enlarge this image "control" and " - " to reduce it.
bmw-om-wiring.jpg

Wiring diagram

1. Turn signal switch
2. Head light

a. Turn signal flasher
b. Head light high beam
c. Head light low beam
d. Parking light
e. Cable connector
f. Ignition and light switch
g. High beam indicator light (blue)
h. Instrument illumination
j. Oil pressure indicator light (orange)
k. Neutral indicator light (green)
l. Battery charging indicator light (red)
3. Dimmer switch
4. Turn signal, front, right
5. Hand brake stop light switch
6. Turn signal, front, left
7. Ground connection on frame for ignition coils
8. Relay for repeat start prevention
9. Horn
10. Contact breaker
11. Ignition coils
12. Condenser
13. Neutral indicator light switch
14. Oil pressure indicator light switch
15. Foot brake stop light switch
16. Diode plate
17. Spark plugs with caps
18. Three-phase alternator
19. Plug connection in wiring harness
20. Turn signal, rear, right
21. Tail light

j. Rear light and license plate illumination
k. Stop light
22. Turn signal, rear left
23. Voltage regulator
24. Battery
25. Ground connection on transmission cover
26. Starter motor

Wiring color coding

BL = blue
BR = brown
GE = amber
GR = grey
GN = green
RT = red
SW = black
WS = white

Great, Thanks for this info Lew. Will check tonight and report what I find.

Got it! All fixed now!

Turns out the headlamp beam was connected into one of the serial illumination lamps instead. So we had two issues. The high beam bulb was inserted into one of the white illumination lamps, and the instrument cluster bulb was connected into the wire/holder for the high beam bulb AND plugged into the wrong headlamp connector (hella connector). Go figure!

I did notice though that now when switching the high beam flasher with the left handlebar control it does cause the instrument lamp cluster to flicker for a split second. Not sure if this is normal or not but Im planning on disassembling the handlebar controls soon anyway to just clean them up, etc.

Thanks again, lew!

Back