• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Nav VI

This has to be the most confusing GPS I ever had. I've tried several times to type in a address and it can't find it. I don't know if I'm supposed to put the full address of just the street and number. I have tried it both ways.
The address i'm trying to put in is 125 First Street, Hewitt, TX and I'm in Waco, Tx about 6 miles away.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I will need to learn how to save the address once I find it.

I have no problem finding it using my phone.
Bob
Try 125 1st Hewitt, TX
Garmin searches can be frustrating. It doesn't use fuzzy logic searches, it's looking for an exact match.

My zumo 590 accepted 125 for the house number, First for the street name, Hewitt for the city, and offered TX as one of three possible states, before finding 125 N 1st St.

Basecamp finds the city, but cannot find the street at all, even using the exact names shown on the map. It offers lots of possible variations for the street name , but the search always came back "No results found". I finally added the zip code (76643), and then Basecamp found both 125 N 1st St and 125 S 1st St.

Waco is close enough that the Smartlink app on a smartphone might be able to find your destination and transfer it to your Nav VI. Smartlink apparently only searches "locally", and Ohio is not "local" to Texas so I cannot test that.

I think we get a little spoiled by using apps that can predict what we are looking for, and we forget that the limited abilities in a single computer or device just cannot compete with the massive storage and processing power of Google and similar internet services.

I can find it on my smart phone and Base Camp and my Garmin 660 but I have a hell of a time trying to search for a address using BMW Navagator VI. And when I did find it don't know how to save it for future use. It finally came up using a numeral for the street name but on the map its letters.

I can find it on my smart phone and Base Camp and my Garmin 660 but I have a hell of a time trying to search for a address using BMW Navagator VI..

I find it easier to use the Smartphone Link on my smartphone.
At top of the Smartphone Link press the mic and speak the address or business name.
Tap on the result, then tap Send to send it to your Nav.

I find it easier to use the Smartphone Link on my smartphone.
At top of the Smartphone Link press the mic and speak the address or business name.
Tap on the result, then tap Send to send it to your Nav.

+1 on Smartlink. Way to hard to search on the Garmin unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And where and how do I do that. I don't see a option to save it. I know there is one as I have some saved.
Bob

And where and how do I do that. I don't see a option to save it. I know there is one as I have some saved.
Bob

Maybe I miss spoke on the Smartphone Link. When I tried it now it would only accept places nearby.

When you do get a address or business on the Nav you will see 3 bars in the upper left of the screen.
Press that and select Save.

Don't be sorry Bob, be happy. ;-)

These things all come with limitations and frustrations, along with their learning curves. Most of them get easier to use as we familiarize ourselves with them, some, even get relatively easy to use. ;-)

Has anyone used Tyre or Furkot (instead of BaseCamp) for route planning with a Navigator? If so, do you find it easier or more intuitive than BaseCamp?

I used Tyre quite a lot with smartphone apps, but although it is easy to use, it does not support Garmin shaping points. I find that shaping points are very useful to pin down the exact roads I want without having them "announced" in my headset.

I used Furkot before and during my trip to the SLC rally last year and was really impressed. Furkot does support shaping points, and will automatically add shaping points to constrain the route. Usually it will do this in the background, but you can choose to see the points and edit them as you wish. I find the drag-n-drop route changes to be simpler than in Basecamp. Furkot is good for simple day rides but it really shines on long, multi-day trips for planning stops for attractions, gas, food and lodging.

There are some good tutorials on YouTube. (This is why winter exists, so we can prepare for spring.) Also, there is a lengthy Furkot thread over at advrider.com. Furkot is still being developed, so some of the early posts about problems are probably irrelevant. I had to play with the Furkot interface for a while before I understood how it works, but now it seems pretty simple.

You will want to save the Furkot routes to .gpx files "for newer Garmin devices". To be on the safe side I'll usually transfer to my route to the GPS, save it, and transfer back to my PC (usually in Basecamp) for review and possible editing. Most of the time, it's OK as-is, but occasionally the GPS recalculates and puts me on the U-turn merry-go-round.

Edit: Just noticed your post count - Welcome to the forum!:wave

I've only spent a little time with Tyre and Furkot and like Larry, I found Furkot to be the more useful. Unlike Larry, I've not gotten over the learning curve yet. May be getting too old and hit the old noggin too many times for me to get up to speed on this stuff as quickly as I'd like. Perhaps it should be a winter activity afterall.

I have a nav 6 will the furkot files transfer to the nav 6 directly or do I have to go to basecamp and then to the nav 6? :hungover

I'm not familiar with Furkot routes but all transfers to the NAV 6 needs to go thru Basecamp

Jay

That's a change from the Nav V.
On the Nav V all you need to do is copy a GPX file into the GPX folder in the Nav V.

That's a change from the Nav V.
On the Nav V all you need to do is copy a GPX file into the GPX folder in the Nav V.

That is good to know, can you create GPX files other then Basecamp or mapsource? I know mapsorce didn't interface with my NAV V, since I like using it over basecamp I always open in basecamp to transfer.

Jay

I'm not familiar with Furkot routes but all transfers to the NAV 6 needs to go thru Basecamp

Jay
I believe you can transfer gpx files directly to a Nav VI. All you need is to copy the gpx to the GPX folder of the device.
If you look closely at the video included in the following link from rever, you will see the transfer of the gpx file to a Nav VI.
He then has to go to an extra step to convert from track to route because he created the gpx as a track in rever, not a route.

http://help.rever.co/website-tips/download-gpx-file-transfer-to-garmin-gps-unit

That is good to know, can you create GPX files other then Basecamp or mapsource? I know mapsorce didn't interface with my NAV V, since I like using it over basecamp I always open in basecamp to transfer.

Jay
There are many apps or websites that can create or save to the gpx file format. The gps should be able to read and interpret the file. However there might be discrepancies in the results if the app that created the gpx file uses a different map base than the one loaded in the gps. This is why I prefer to use basecamp to load the files.

Back