• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone using the Haynes service manual

I have one and find it to be very useful. It is an excellent companion to all of the You Tube videos which are often very short on important details.

Good, but the photos are awful

I use Haynes manuals, but always cross reference torque values, etc. with the owners booklet that comes with the bike. I’m actually starting a 24k service today on my 12RT, and my method is to set up my old laptop with a a JVB service video, and cross reference with the Haynes manual and owners booklet. The photos in every Haynes manual I’ve ever owned are not very good.

As the heading suggests, I'm looking for input -- the good, bad and ugly -- for anyone using the Hayes service manual for the 2013-on R1200GS. It is quite inexpensive.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1785212...olid=1ULQEEMGZ8EEG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have the R1200 '13 to '16 Haynes manual. It is better than nothing and does include a wiring diagram. It is not as good as the BMW manual, but it is also about 1/5th the cost.

R1200 13-16 Manual

I have it and it has come in handy on several occasions. I use JVB and Boxflyer's video for my service, but the manual did come in very handy when I had to remove the headlight assemble. The wiring diagram is also nice. For $20 it has been well worth the investment.

Was worth the price to me. Pictures are grainy but usable. Like poco183, it helped me when I removed and re-installed the headlight assembly. I hope it's as useful when I swap out the front and rear shocks.

I always find that it take 2 manuals or sources. One to help the understanding of the other.
OM

The Haynes manual is worth it's weight in gold just for the wiring diagram alone! That's some that's NOT in the $100+ BMW DVD.

I have the R1200 '13 to '16 Haynes manual. It is better than nothing and does include a wiring diagram. It is not as good as the BMW manual, but it is also about 1/5th the cost.

I use the same... the digital version on my phone/ipad. I'll be using it again tomorrow for an oil change. it's an excellent companion for routine services and torque references.

The marginally higher cost of the official Service DVD available from BMW is more than outweighed by the better quality and usefulness compared to Haynes manuals. A way smarter choice.

The marginally higher cost of the official Service DVD available from BMW is more than outweighed by the better quality and usefulness compared to Haynes manuals. A way smarter choice.

Max BMW has the Repaid DVD for $111.17, the Haynes manual from Amazon is $20.68 I have both, got the Haynes manual long before the Repair DVD was available. I find it helpful to have both. Yes the BMW Repair DVD is of much more helpful but some of the pictures and descriptions are very useful from Haynes. Your budget will help you chose.

Max BMW has the Repaid DVD for $111.17, the Haynes manual from Amazon is $20.68 I have both, got the Haynes manual long before the Repair DVD was available. I find it helpful to have both. Yes the BMW Repair DVD is of much more helpful but some of the pictures and descriptions are very useful from Haynes. Your budget will help you chose.

I have both as well. I'm still blown away that the BMW DVD doesn't have any wiring information. Gobsmacked if a better descriptor.

Back