• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route Suggestions?

Route Suggestions Thru California?

G'day y'all,
My partner and I are taking a long weekend tour, From Bay Area CA down to Southern California (Edwards AFB vicinity). Doing an advanced ridercourse down there.
Probably toodle down US 1 on the way down, but I'm looking for some ride suggestions on the return leg. We can swing an overnight half way back, A nice mix up of twisties with scenic open roads would be dandy. Any spectacular ideas out there?

Were heading down weekend of the 18th April.
I'm riding a R1100RS, my partner's on a Cromehead.

Thanks Jerry

I'm riding a R1100RS, my partner's on a Cromehead.

so that'd be paved roads, right? :evil

we have a good CA coningent here, so they are sure to pipe in.

Check out Indian Valley Road/ Peach Tree Road off 101 from San Miguel/Paso Robles north up to CA25, which goes past Pinnacles National Monument and on up to Hollister.

I *think* that the Indian Valley Road is paved all the way, but don't take my word for it. I rode through there about 15 years ago and the memory is foggy.

Closer to the ocean, check out Fort Hunter-Liggett via G-14 from Paso Robles. (I think that one is all paved, too, but same caveat as above) It connects with the Naciemento-Ferguson Road. You'll never forget the drop down the coastal range to the PCH.

Hope that gets you started thinking!

Ian

Yes, Paved.
I was thinking of trying to make my way back along the other side of the Sierra Range,
I understand that the amazing passes, Sonora, Tioga etc) would still be probably closed,
We would have to swing West near Tahoe.

Anybody made their way up US 395, what's that Like?

Thanks
Jerry.

There are stretches of 395 that will provide you with some spectacular scenery . . . there are others that are so boring even the desert tortoise chooses not to go there. You should be able to make good time, but be aware that the CHP's love that area.

Floyd

Yes, Paved.
I was thinking of trying to make my way back along the other side of the Sierra Range, I understand that the amazing passes, Sonora, Tioga etc) would still be probably closed, We would have to swing West near Tahoe.

Anybody made their way up US 395, what's that Like?

oh man, i have a bad track record when it comes to passes early in the season, right burnszilla? :ha

if you go too far up 395 (great road, btw) you won't be able to get back over the sierra without risking a snowed-in pass.

others may know better... i am kinda gunshy about sending you too far north along 395.

fwiw, CA 58 west across the state is a really nice ride, too.

ian

well, it doesn't get good until west of I-5... it is a road that all the motorcycle magazines test on.

if you have a little time, please consider this suggestion on getting there:

from the southwest corner of edwards afb, take CA138 west to I5 and then go one exit north to Frazier Park.

Head west and take the right fork onto Cuddy Valley Road. Look closely, it's a fairly small road. If you start heading south, you missed it... ask a local. The computer map also calls this the MilPortrero Highway and the Cerro Noroeste Road. This is a kick-but road! It goes through some nice woods, and high desert before descending into what i believe is the Cuyama valley.

it ends at CA166/33, which you will take north through Maricopa and turn left/west on 58 just before McKittrick. This lets you ride the very best part of 58, lots of great countryside, wide open sweepers with some nice twisty bits as you head over to the 101, just south of Atascadero.

this puts you just south of the Paso Robles area, from which you can take either of the two routes i talked about above, or just book it back on 101 to the BA.

too bad you don't have a GS because there are some phenomenal forest service roads just to the south of 58... you could ride around there for weeks! (just ask anyone about Soda Lake Road... it turns left from 166, just after you've finished the Cuddy Valley/etc. road I mention above.)

ian

The pass from Carson City to South Lake Tahoe is open year round, the road from SLT to Placerville is interesting enough, and from there there are a couple of choices, but if you continue west from Placerville you can pretty much put it on snooze control.

Floyd

Thank you all

Thanks good peeps, for all the fine direction.
I think Visian has managed to turn my gaze westwards, looks like a mid journey ocean swim post twisties and perfect line sweepers, Its the good life, aint it.
Sunshine, and overpriced oysters on US 1 are on the cards this time around.
Later on in the season, I'm going to get my Sierra jaunt. any takers?

Ride well brothers and sisters.

Jerry

I think Visian has managed to turn my gaze westwards...

:thumb

i was thinking last night, should that Cuddy Valley Road look a little iffy to you (it's a little bumpy/broken up in spots near the beginning and does go through some remote areas... this is the kind of road I personally love but others may not), if you continue straight, the road is named Lockwood Valley Road.

It's also a good ride, and ends at CA33. Just south of that intersection on 33 are some fantastic twisties going down to Ojai... a nice diversion that you can ride down and back up in not too much time. This is another very popular motorcycle road for LA riders.

Or, if you just turn right, and follow 33 to the merge with 166, you're back on the path to 58.

Options are good! :D

Cuddy Valley Road

Visian, (or anybody else)
When you say iffy, I'm assuming paved, slowish, broken up, but certainly possible with street tires, right?
Ok for the R1200C too?

Also from what I understand just the first section of road.
I'm most partial to single lane, off the beaten track and a little well manicured dirt too(on the occasion.)

Whatdyathinkeh?

Jerry

Whatdyathinkeh?

given what you say above, unless things have *dramatically* changed since i was last through there, you should have no problem.

i just wanted to err on the side of caution... sometimes S and cruiser riders get a little leery when the pavement is less than perfect.

And just to be sure, you should definitely ask at a gas station or someplace like a fire station in Frazier Park before you head out.

and hey, i just had a few minutes, so I called Mount Pinos Ranger District in Frazier Park; 661-245-3731, and was assured that it's paved all the way through.

hope you have fun... please do a report! :)

ian

No help from Chicago

If it were us we'd just ride US 1 both directions. We're kind of curve challenged out here.:banghead

Thank you Visian.
Much Appreciated.
Report back pending.

As for you sorry lot in Chicago, If you are still snowed in, at least you can go Ice skating!
XOXO

Jerry

Back