• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Booster Plug installation R1200RT

tgf429

Plasterman
Thinking of trying the boosterplug for my 2009 R1200RT. Anyone have suggestions on NTC resistor placement? Web site has two suggested locations. Anyone place it in other positions? Pictures would be nice.

Thanks

Tom

Thinking same on my 2012 R1200RT. Reading the booster plug website recommendations, I think I'd zip tying it to the intake snorkel...

If you get one please let us know how you install it and what you find its advantages/disadvantages to be...

The best install I have seen is a small hole drilled into the air box and sealed with a bit of silicone. No risk of misreading due to exhaust heat under the Tupperware.

I moved mine there and it works perfectly.

Booster plug on 2011 r2200rt

The best install I have seen is a small hole drilled into the air box and sealed with a bit of silicone. No risk of misreading due to exhaust heat under the Tupperware.

I moved mine there and it works perfectly.

Since the air box in on top the engine and behind the Tupperware isn't that a warm spot for the probe?
How about back in the airstream zip tied out in the open say just outside the seat?
That is where I had one on my r1100rt and it worked great. I think the r1200rt air box might get a little warm due to its location, and besides why drill a hole if you can get by without drilling one?
Just a thought I ordered mine so I'll see where it might fit soon. I know they suggest keeping it out in the airstream as much as possible and away from any engine related heat.

When the bike is moving it doesn't make much difference where the probe is placed. That is what I read from someone who claims to have taken lots of test rides with thermocouples probes connected to a meter. That info helped me decide to install the cheaper Accelerator module that doesn't have a separate temperature probe. The Accelerator module did what I wanted on my '05 GS.

Thinking of trying the boosterplug for my 2009 R1200RT. Anyone have suggestions on NTC resistor placement? Web site has two suggested locations. Anyone place it in other positions? Pictures would be nice.

Thanks

Tom

Forgot to post this picture of where I had mounted mine on the 1150RT. Since this in essence replaces the air box sensor I believe it must be in the intake airstream. You want your ECU to know the temp of the air in the intake so that it can accurately compute the mass of air.

lc6.jpg

What problem are you guys trying to solve with the booster plug?
While the discussion in on the flat twins, I'm interested as my F800GS runs considerably better when it's cooler......perhaps the 'puter thinking it's cooler, it would run better in the summer heat. OM

Well?

I hear the BP smooths out the sloppy jerking of the engine at slow speeds, due to fuel management system telling the bike to run VERY VERY lean! I'm not sure it does anything at speed? I am interested TOO, for my GSA1200'07. It does the above mentioned jerking as I slow to a stop, say under 10 mph or less. Otherwise my engine is a scalded ape, runs great. Is the BP for other bikes too, like the F800GS??? Have one now, a new one. Randy

While the discussion in on the flat twins, I'm interested as my F800GS runs considerably better when it's cooler......perhaps the 'puter thinking it's cooler, it would run better in the summer heat. OM

My 1150 ran better before it was fully warmed up. The reason is that the ECUs all have several percent fuel enrichment until the engine oil hits about 140 degrees.

Although a BoosterPlug may richen the mixture, an adjustable O2 sensor (like the lc-1) will give you that better ride, for sure. I've got a prototype circuit that seems able to pull the stock oxygen sensor lambda several percent richer.

Installed on 2007GS

I hear the BP smooths out the sloppy jerking of the engine at slow speeds, due to fuel management system telling the bike to run VERY VERY lean! I'm not sure it does anything at speed? I am interested TOO, for my GSA1200'07. It does the above mentioned jerking as I slow to a stop, say under 10 mph or less. Otherwise my engine is a scalded ape, runs great. Is the BP for other bikes too, like the F800GS??? Have one now, a new one. Randy

2007GS-Mounted mine up at left front (ran under left side tank covers) up to the left support below the headlight so it would have ambient air temp. Attached it with duct tape around wire so probe was free. Works great - helps with smoothness on low end big time. I really notice it off road as I don't have to clutch as much at slow speeds when picking my way through rocks or mud......

Back