• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Removing the Cockpit Bar ('06 GS)

bobframe

I plan to install a BMW GPS Mounting Bracket (Part # 71607713903) that I bought at a dealer today on my 2006 R1200GS. I thought I'd ask the service manager for any Tips/Tricks (there's always a "trick") before I left and he grimaced when I told him what I wanted to do. He said "Its a difficult job. BMW has painted the T-25 torx bolts that have to replaced (so the Torx fitting is somewhat filled with paint and the edges are completely "painted in") and if that's not enough, the windshield and the speedo/instrument cluster needs to be removed."

He spent a few minutes with me pointing out what needed to be done and it does look like a nasty job...fraught with the risk of totally hosing up the torx bolts that need to come out.

Has anyone done this and have any words of wisdom for me?

Many thanks,

Bob
P.S. I looked at the similar Touratech product (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...?sid=abcdec96e95f71a3461db07fdb38ea50b1fc97ec) and their installation instructions warn of the same install challenges.

I've not removed the cockpit bar. I have removed the windshield and instrument cluster. Both are very easy and quick jobs on the GS.

Definitely remove the cluster. Put some oomph behind your torx bit and be sure it's square. Your dealer is right - it strips easily and is a bear to get out once that happens. If you blow your one chance, a drill bit in a flexible shaft attached to a Dremel will give you enough of a dimple to get a busted screw extractor in there. You can probably guess from my description that the first attempt did not go flawlessly for me. :laugh

Definitely remove the cluster. Put some oomph behind your torx bit and be sure it's square. Your dealer is right - it strips easily and is a bear to get out once that happens. If you blow your one chance, a drill bit in a flexible shaft attached to a Dremel will give you enough of a dimple to get a busted screw extractor in there. You can probably guess from my description that the first attempt did not go flawlessly for me. :laugh
Since it sounds like you've done this...did you attempt to remove any of the paint from around the screw before trying to loosen it?

I did not, Bob. In my vanity of refusing to admit my eyesight is fading I never even noticed. On the other side firm pressure at a right angle worked just fine.

Pete

I did not, Bob. In my vanity of refusing to admit my eyesight is fading I never even noticed. On the other side firm pressure at a right angle worked just fine.

Pete
I'm encouraged. Think I may try to cut the "paint seal" between the screws and the mounting bar. I finally broke down and bought a set of Torx sockets yesterday...that should be a major improvement over the Mickey Mouse Torx wrenches in the OEM tool kit. Which is another project soon to be tackled....i.e., creating a really usable and packable tool kit.

Eureka!

Just finished installing the bracket in about an hour start to finish. It really wasn't bad after all. Windshield came off in minutes and the speedo cluster was simple as well. The painted in mounting bolts broke loose much easier than I feared. I think the Torx sockets I picked up yesterday made all the difference...applied firm pressure into the bolts and they broke loose. The new mounting bar installed perfectly and I also added a quick release, 4 bolt mounting bracket into which my Garmin Zumo 550 will bolt.

Now if I could just find that damned accessory port. Wonder if the PO did away with it. I've looked everywhere (I think).IMG_0491.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Now if I could just find that damned accessory port.
Hooray!!!! I found the plug. Next step will be to splice the wiring from my Zumo 550 into the plug I bought at dealer yesterday. Any issues with this?

Thanks again for the help,

Bob

Pins 1 and 3 are power, pin 2 (middle) is unused. Be very, very sure that your GPS likes 12V and not 5V like some. I had to wire in a 12V to USB (5V) converter to power my non-garmin GPS. I don't know what the Zumo needs.

Pins 1 and 3 are power, pin 2 (middle) is unused. Be very, very sure that your GPS likes 12V and not 5V like some. I had to wire in a 12V to USB (5V) converter to power my non-garmin GPS. I don't know what the Zumo needs.
My Zumo 550 has been living on my Honda ST1300 for two years...I believe its been eating a steady diet of 12V. But I appreciate the heads up.

Finished my install of TT 040-0667

Just finished the install of the TT GPS Mounting Bracket on my '08 GS. All went very well. :dance Thanks Bob for the heads up on the screws being so easy to strip out. I was fairly paranoid of this and used the Torx socket as well. They all four popped loose.

I would suggest that before anyone tries to remove these four screws make sure there is not a lot of paint built up around the heads. If there is, try to remove it, or even use a heat gun to heat the area up, and then break the screws loose.

I had one screw that was covered in paint pretty bad, :banghead so I took and old chisel and gently tapped all the paint from the edge of the screw head and the frame. I think that helped a lot as well.

Here are some pics of the bracket installed with instrument cluster removed:

tt_04_0667_installed.jpg

And here is the final install with TT GPS mount (the BMW cradle was purchased separately):

blue_GPS_installed.jpg

Back