• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whole Body Vibration = Prostate Issues?

Peter

Web MD, a free website, is a good place to start looking into your health issue.
When we get older I feel we have to really be involved with the diagnostic and treatment of out aliments.
With the internet there is a lot of information out there, the key is to filter it to suit yourself and stay away from the B.S.
Attitude, diet, exercise, sleep and low stress. Add a set of new tires, sunshine, and good roads, your golden!
Good Luck!

Well, this is as good a place and time to bring up my challenge. A year ago I stopped by a bush, out in the wilds of Canyonlands NP, UT, to relieve myself. I was surprised by what looked like pure blood and eventually blood clots - it wasn't pure blood, but you get the picture. I had absolutely no symptoms, such as pain. It was probably brought on by enjoying myself on my XR600. After a few days it resolved. Later a cystoscope showed no bladder problems and no prostate problems. 3yrs earlier I had enjoyed the benefit of a 'greenlight' laser TURP that had eliminated all the urgency, frequency, nighttime problems.

Your medical issues are very similar to mine. I also had the Greenlight laser surgery for enlarged prostate. I usually get up at least once during the night. I also had some episodes of hematuria, and had similar tests. Nothing was found, and this is fairly common: often no cause of hematuria can be determined.

I did a road trip on the bike this season of around 1K miles total, and no problems with hematuria.

My advice is to not worry about it.

Harry

replies

To 71243 [IIRC !], nickrides, and AKsuited - thanks for the replies and I hope there are more.
Exercise includes riding 2mi round trip on my cruiser bicycle; 15min on the elliptical machine for a bit or aerobic exercise, along w/ another mile on the stationery bicycle. A bit of free weights and machines to exercise larger muscle groups and muscles affecting the knees. All done at the local Y and takes about an hour - some 3 to 5 days a week. I also do some stretching and back exercises when I arise. I am doing all for maintenance; not building muscle for sure; and not particularly, butt with some endurance in mind.

Being in the medical field I am aware of much that you speak re: the WWW. I am more interested in personal experiences, as AK relates, than I am the canned information. But, thank you for your input.

And, yes AK, perhaps we will be the stats in an upcoming 'finding' re: the fragility of the tissue left behind after said Greenlight procedure! I am hoping more of our fellow riders here will step up and let us learn of their experiences. I am basically not worried, what with the test findings, but I am curious as to perhaps the #'s who have also had hematuria after the procedure and upon continuing to ride.

BTW, my previous urologist told me never to drink any more coffee; don't drink any alcohol; and wagged his finger in my face and adamantly stated "don't you ever throw another leg over that motorcycle". That was 7yrs or so ago and I walked out of his office. At least I found a more current uro- who understands I have some life left in me. :thumb

What sort of exercise do you do...?

Just to expand on this, a number of fitness experts suggest 150 minutes a week of aerobic and non aerobic activity. Here's a link to some information from the Center for Disease Control:

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/olderadults.html

I looked at a couple of other sites: Mayo Clinic, U.K. National Health Service, and their recommendations are similar.

My own regime is workouts of swimming and resistance training, on alternate week days.

Wonder if they considered that truck drivers are on the road a lot and away from their spouses or girl friends? The lack of sexual activity has been linked to prostate problems (according to my urologist and studies).

This.

:lurk

The lack of sexual activity...osbornk

According to the major Harvard study that was reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2004, there was an association of significantly reduced incidence of prostate cancer in men having 21 or more "events" (my term, not the study's) per month. :D

Just to expand on this, a number of fitness experts suggest 150 minutes a week of aerobic and non aerobic activity. Here's a link to some information from the Center for Disease Control:

I bumped into an old friend from work at the grocery store. He retired years ago. He said he just turned 80. He works out at the local YMCA 3 mornings a week. I realized that I need to do the same and so I just signed on as a member of the YMCA so I can do the that, too, use their exercise equipment. They even have a trainer to offer guidance. The pool in the local YMCA is scheduled to open soon. Another reason to exercise is to get in shape to do long road trips on the bike.

Harry

According to the major Harvard study that was reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2004, there was an association of significantly reduced incidence of prostate cancer in men having 21 or more "events" (my term, not the study's) per month. :D

over 21 per month huh? Wonder what the opthamologists will have to say about that.

I just signed on as a member of the YMCA so I can do the that, too, use their exercise equipment. They even have a trainer to offer guidance. The pool in the local YMCA is scheduled to open soon. Another reason to exercise is to get in shape to do long road trips on the bike.Harry

Atta boy. :thumb If swimming is your aerobic activity, the recommended weekly minutes get cut in half.

Wonder what the ophthalmologists will have to say about that. jandhumphreyme

:ha

Seriously, what does concern ophthalmologists is Flomax. It causes a situation called Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome, and complicates cataract surgery.

A former colleague and a good friend is in his 70s now whom I know has had no prostate issues. He is a retired airline pilot (who also rides) and his good luck may be due to the fact he still has at least 21 of those events a month. Or maybe he has 21 events still because he is healthy and obviously a charmer. BTW, my wife still loves the guy even though she knows he is a complete womanizer.

I read a billboard (there is truth in advertising, right?:nono) Saturday on I-64 enroute to Louisville,KY that stated "an hour of exercise gives you 2 hours of life in payback". Now I'm too lazy to do the math but strikes me as more of a triathalon regimen than a way to live longer?:D

Did your urologist ever mention you could be producing stones? I'd think you'd have pain, but if they're not stuck somewhere you may not.

I had kidney stones 30 years ago and my urologist told me to drink more water or beer! That's a big reason he's still my urologist!
I have never had a repeat of stones, which is somewhat unusual.

Well, this is as good a place and time to bring up my challenge. A year ago I stopped by a bush, out in the wilds of Canyonlands NP, UT, to relieve myself. I was surprised by what looked like pure blood and eventually blood clots - it wasn't pure blood, but you get the picture. I had absolutely no symptoms, such as pain. It was probably brought on by enjoying myself on my XR600. After a few days it resolved. Later a cystoscope showed no bladder problems and no prostate problems. 3yrs earlier I had enjoyed the benefit of a 'greenlight' laser TURP that had eliminated all the urgency, frequency, nighttime problems.

I rode to Salem this summer and back to home - ~2k miles and a week later the whole blood thing repeated itself! Again, no preliminary symptoms. This time a CTscan was totally negative for my kidneys, bladder, and prostate.

So, WTF? My urologist doesn't really have an answer; my PSA is higher than my normal [~4.5 vs. 1]; I just rode 1000mi 2 weekends ago without problems. BTW, I normally sleep through the night. BTW, I exercise 3-5 times per week. BTW, I'm 71yo.

Is it the awful BMW seat 'bump'? Is it any riding? Is it motorcycles in general?

Hoping to hear from others.

I just read a piece in my newspaper(yep, this old guy still reads a paper/paper & no , I don't have prostate issues) about a study wherein they found the one large consistency amongst the study group of men with prostate problems was that truck drivers are far more likely to develop prostate issues. Can we translate that to MC riders? Maybe worse for Harley jocks than BMW's?:)

Why would it be worse for Harley riders? Haven't you seen all the For Sale ads of 5 year old Harleys with like 1200 miles total on the odometer? They sure ain't sitting on them long enough to cause any problems.

Why would it be worse for Harley riders? Haven't you seen all the For Sale ads of 5 year old Harleys with like 1200 miles total on the odometer? They sure ain't sitting on them long enough to cause any problems.
Ads are full of garage queen bikes with few miles, BMW's included. Boats are the same story as are bicycles,golf clubs etc.. Lawn mowers,string trimmers,blowers,etc., are another story cause they "work for a living"...
FWIW, looking out the window right now my MC's are not going to rack up any miles today either-welcome to KY winter & the pretty white stuff! 60 deg's yesterday.

Check your index finger length against your ring finger length. Apparently there is some research concerning this phenom and prostrate problems, having to do with testosterone levels of parents? Still on beer diet here. Where's the tape measure?

All my fingers are short but...
A close friend of a son wears size 17 shoe & he once told that when he was a younger kid(had same big feet then too) women were always "hitting" on him. Only later did he learn the supposed reason. He was a college level BB pitcher and has very long fingers ,that I've noticed too. I'd have liked the long fingers to have come my way but the "other thing" I've managed very well,:) thank you.:thumb

Back