• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Along for the ride from Downstate NY

torque2u

Hi from Long Island, just road my new (to me) 02 R1150rs home yesterday. It was a quick trip of about 40 miles…but what a ride. Loving the suspension, and the overdrive? top gear…but kinda scared of the servo brakes. This is going to be good fun…Dom

Pictures soon…

Thanks for the good wishes, I will add some pictures a bit later today;).Here’s one…then the rain came…0B5A0DF3-AAC0-4672-B237-983AE9BB4AC9.jpeg

Last edited:
A few more pics…and some observations

As promised, a few more pics of my new ride and some thoughts… After a few hundred miles, I’m pretty impressed…especially with the suspension, and the calm cadence of the overdrive? 6th gear. So when combined on the highway, droning along in top gear at barely over 3000 rpm, and that suspension…omg I can see going through a tank with no rest…and no problems. Ergos are pretty spot on, as I can basically flat foot at stops with the seat all the way low, and an easy reach to the bars. Im not tall at 5’5” so that’s all pretty magical for me. Engine has enough character to be fun, without the painful vibes. Coming from a Harley Dyna, I know how good and bad that can get. Anyway, as MCrider would say, See you on the road, cause I’m going to be out there….a lot.

1E5664A1-B3AC-4DF0-9C72-9A881540FEC2.jpg6EE4C9B6-0CFB-47FE-BC7A-F721D0A3C5A4.jpg

Welcome. I am originally from Long Island. Lived there 40 years, moved to Iowa for 9 and now in AZ. I miss it sometimes, the ocean and the food, some family.

Yes Ponch, we’ve got the ocean beaches, sound beaches…and the tax bills that go with it. It’s home for sure… but an added challenge for getting to the open road. As you know, all roads take you through NYC for points west (like the rest of the USA lol). We do have the nearby ferry to Bridgeport, CT which makes NE and all of the MaxBMW locations a snap.;)

Yes Ponch, we’ve got the ocean beaches, sound beaches…and the tax bills that go with it. It’s home for sure… but an added challenge for getting to the open road. As you know, all roads take you through NYC for points west (like the rest of the USA lol). We do have the nearby ferry to Bridgeport, CT which makes NE and all of the MaxBMW locations a snap.;)

I know...I lived there 40 years. I don't see the value with the cost of living and taxes, especially the property taxes. Getting out of there you'll cash out, just pick wisely where you go. There are compromises and balance no matter where one goes to. Property taxes are a lot cheaper where I live, but the schools aren't the greatest. Lots of retirees that don't see the value in K-12, so if you have kids, that can matter. Iowa has much better schools than AZ, but the property taxes are higher than AZ, but lower than NY, but the roads are better and the police keep the riff raff out. Long Island is on the diminishing returns side of the curve. I couldn't afford to go back if I wanted to anyway and it wouldn't be worth it if I could. I lived in North Bellmore, Lynbrook and Oakdale, FWIW.

Looks nice. I like the slim City Lids. I wish BMW sold City Lids for the newer bikes.
Yes…they’re a nice depth, still functional for the stuff I normally carry, plus what I pick up along the way. Obviously a no go for my full face helmet, but that’s not a deal breaker for me. I do plan on adding a top box in the near future for the bigger items. Thanks.

Back