• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reasonably Priced Beer!

I've only been to one national and that was Johnson City and only for one day being this was part of a continuing trip but we stopped in the beer tent and consumed two beers and then moved on to see the rest of the sites.
My question is; how may beers does the average rally goer drink a day to make a reasonable priced beer such a contentious issue and if it is so many that it is a make or brake deal for going to the rally or not then maybe you need to take a serious look at your daily consumption. GET HELP!!:whistle

I paid $9.50 for a 22-oz Sam Adams' something or the other last week in the Providence airport. A Spaten Octoberfest costs $4.50 at my local hoagie and pizza shop.

I like beer, I like good beer.

After a day's ride I'm kinda like this...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y8WIr3iq2Bc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comparing beer prices at an Airport or sports stadium to beer prices at our club rally is an apples to oranges kinda thing (I don't think Vince's salary is in the millions).

Personally, I was on the road for three weeks, and about 4500 miles. I was at the rally site for 5 nights and 4 days. I spent more on craft beer from the market than I did in the beer tent. It was a budget consideration for me.

Last edited:
Just measured the rally mug AGAIN!
It is 18 liquid ounces to the brim
Please review my earlier post.

MAD DOG
Nat Rally Beer Chair:drink

Just measured the rally mug AGAIN!
It is 18 liquid ounces to the brim
Please review my earlier post.

MAD DOG
Nat Rally Beer Chair:drink

My bad...

I didn't keep the Sedalia rally mug, all the other rally mugs I have are 14oz. I stand corrected.

*Just dug a little deeper into my collection. The Johnson City, TN rally mug was 20+ oz.

Last edited:
I've always become a abstainer(booze & food) while attending events like pro sports & such that feature beer/food sold by the mafia. Just doesn't taste the same when it's "an arm & a leg"! If you don't like the price, maybe go to Wally World on the way & put some in your cases. When gear is in your tent place ice/beer in top case & enjoy. You could even carry some cheapo brewski's to the tent for social hour.
Road tip of the day,r.e. carrying beer on a bike: Beware of drastic changes in altitude & perhaps the twist top bottles too as I have had the stuff "fizz off" in my top case in the Mexico mtns. Makes for pissy smelling tools & gear. :hug

My bad...

I didn't keep the Sedalia rally mug, all the other rally mugs I have are 14oz. I stand corrected.

*Just dug a little deeper into my collection. The Johnson City, TN rally mug was 20+ oz.

Thank you for coming back to the thread on this issue, and helping to support the BG's position of fair beer pricing.

MAD DOG
Nat Beer Chair:drink

I recall one customer at the beer tent? (barn) in Bloomsburg being told by the Bartender/server that "only the current year's mug would be acceptable for filling.

In my meager collection of rally mugs I find that the Gillette, Wy. cup to be the most generous at 20 oz.

Mad Dog--- YOU DONE GREAT at the last several rallys... Good Craft Beer at very reasonable prices. Rally mug quantity ---is a bargin for a craft beer. Go buy them at your local watering hole and see whay you pay. All day long $5-6 or more for Good to Great craft beers. As Mad Dog pointed out - the profit goes to keep other costs of running not only the rally but other MOA functions/benefits. I dont' mind contributine a few dollars with that in mind.

Mad DOg--- keep up the good work!

Fair pricing

As a home brewer and serious beer drinker I'm always thrilled that we try to provide decent quality beer at a reasonable price. As I got older I learned that with some things "quality over quantity' is the way to go, I still sometimes go wild on the good stuff, but firmly believe that we will sell more high-quality beer than "fizzy pish".
I've helped out in the beer tent on several occassions over the last four years and don't recall too many customer complaints regarding the selection on offer- we certainly aren't ripping off our "captive consumers' on price and as several of you have mentioned there is always the option to buy elsewhere.
To those who have issues with the system in place, step up and join us behind the bar next year- I guarantee you'll enjoy it and make some new friends.
Cheers,
Ian (the guy in the kilt) :drink:drink

BMW Rider

Thank you for the kind words.

OK everyone...this falls under the category of "reasonably priced beer".

As Scoobs just pointed out, please consider coming to volunteer for a shift. Help us keep the cost DOWN ! We really would like to have you along, and it really IS fun.

{I bite, yes...but have had all my shots.}

MAD DOG
Nat. Rally Beer Chair:drink

BMW Rider

Thank you for the kind words.

OK everyone...this falls under the category of "reasonably priced beer".

As Scoobs just pointed out, please consider coming to volunteer for a shift. Help us keep the cost DOWN ! We really would like to have you along, and it really IS fun.

{I bite, yes...but have had all my shots.}

MAD DOG
Nat. Rally Beer Chair:drink

It seems like it would be more fun than volunteering at registration............ But, registration has it's moments. Trust me. It's true. Really.

It seems like it would be more fun than volunteering at registration............ But, registration has it's moments. Trust me. It's true. Really.

Such as Steve Aikens, after being admonished to call for assistance if there is a problem, standing on the table and yelling loudly, "Houston - we have a problem"?

Just wondering!

There is reasonably priced beer and there is cheap beer.

OK - so I'm a beer snob. I like good beer at a reasonable price but I hate cheap beer. If you like it, that's OK, but I like good beer at a reasonable price, and that's not cheap.

You need to brew your own beer if you want it good and resonable cause your in charge as brewmeister.Make exactly what you like with quality ingredients.

Just don't make your friends drink it...........Give them a bottle to take home. If you're good, they'll visit again. If not, they still might visit, thinking they don't have to drink the beer.......

Sincerely,

A beer snob with many homebrewing friends

Last edited:
Local taxes, regulations, and site vendor contracts have about everything to do with the price of beer at each rally. Be assured that your Board of Directors, the Rally Chairs, and the ED do everything possible to ensure the price of beer is as low as possible and that you have a choice of more reasonable as well as better beers. We do everything we can to prevent attendees from having a few drinks and then deciding to ride off the rally site to replenish. Profit is not a priority in this case - your safety is.

Muriel

Back