• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1999 funduro carb help needed!

RTandGS

I'm just getting this bike from someone who broke the carb internally, I have R1150's and know them well, but the Funduro is new to me.

So...it's a two Mikuni set up and in a search I see no BST33 Mikuni's for sale. Ideas on what I can do? The PO cracked the metal tube the jet sits in when trying to extract it for a cleaning. So I assume this carb is shot and I need a new one.

Is there a substitute carb that works or one sitting one someone's shelf? Are these carbs rare and unobtainable?

I appreciate any help.

Markus
1999 Funduro
2000 R1100RT
2001 R1100RT
2002 R1150RT
2002 R1150 GS

I’ll check those out, thank you!

Seems these carbs are all gone, one would think they’d be all over eBay. Not so.

I looked but it appears the BST33 carbs are kinda rare. Some evidence they have been on ebay but none recently. Maybe ebay listings from other countries?

Looks like Yamaha may have used something similar at least, a 2x33mm carb setup. They are $57 for the pair (new) on ebay. No idea if they could be made to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PD33J-33mm...419975&hash=item3f9cd70b54:g:ToMAAOSw6VNa-ptT

Wow! That looks pretty similar. I’d have to buy it to see if it would fit because, it’ll take a month to get here but I’m gonna see what else I can learn about carbs that fit that Yamaha and if I can glam if they’d work. Wow, great idea. Thanks for the help!

Ah! As luck would have it a pair of carbs from a Pegaso popped up in Michigan and I bought them. $270! A bit high in my opinion for carbs removed and unchecked. they should clean up and be useable, right? So parts are rare, but theso_brien1@hotmail.come bikes aren't that popular?
I should be able to make 2 good out of the 3 and a half I have.

This is also news that I learned that the Aprilia Pegaso is a place to look for parts. Same bike huh?

Next issue: Looking for a shop manual and if the petcock is rebuild-able. The one on my bike will not turn.

Thank you all for all the help.
Merry Christmas

This is also news that I learned that the Aprilia Pegaso is a place to look for parts. Same bike huh?

The Funduro was derived from the Pegaso but there are differences. For example, i believe the Pegaso has a 5 valve head while the Funduro has a more common 4 valve arrangement. The engine in either was made by Rotax (see Rotax 654) who also sold them for other use. If i am not mistaken it was used in a Polaris ATV as well, but may have been fuel injected by then. Chinese Loncin still builds the same basic engine for use in a Loncin branded bike for their home market, but additional details may be changed after 25 years since the original design.

https://www.rotax.com/en/100-years/historical-vehicles-engines/detail/type-654.html

Thanks DeVern, did that link lead you to a Manila? It took me to a dead end. I’ll have a look on eBay. I’m sure there’s a manual available.

No, my point was that your best option for finding a factory manual may be to jump into the Chain Gang website and it’s forums.

Good luck,
DeVern

Done!

Just to finish up. I cleaned, adjusted and installed the carbs. Wrestled with the air box until I removed the tailpipe and it slipped right in, and connected the fuel line, and it fired up. Idle adjustment and it’s a runner. Thanks for the help.

Another F650 resurrected and back on the road.

Thanks DeVern, did that link lead you to a Manila? It took me to a dead end. I’ll have a look on eBay. I’m sure there’s a manual available.

Just to finish up. I cleaned, adjusted and installed the carbs. Wrestled with the air box until I removed the tailpipe and it slipped right in, and connected the fuel line, and it fired up. Idle adjustment and it’s a runner. Thanks for the help.

Another F650 resurrected and back on the road.

Great!
Always nice to hear a report on how the project ended up.
OM

Back