• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sena 10 Connection Problems

LDChief

The sound from the Sena 10 and BT connection to my 2012 RT is horrible. I've tried the bass and treble all the down, I've tried every setting I can think of and even done the firmware upgrade to the Sena. Does anyone have a suggestion before I ditch these Senas and try something else for a BT connection? I don't really want to go to the expense of the Schubert helmets and comm systems which would run close to $2,400 for two.

Thanks,
Wade

You are trying to bluetooth to the bikes radio system? Does the bike's bluetooth transciever support AD2P audio profile or Hands Free Profile (HFP) profile only? If it doesn't support AD2P then you will be getting Mono sound only.

Are you use the helmet speaker baseplate or the earbud base plate?

Did you disconnect and re-pair the Sena unit after you loaded the firmware? You might try doing that. Also, there are several options on how to pair the Sena to the bikes audio system, phone and navigation. I'm not an expect at such things but I used to have really crappy audio from my Sena SMH10 until I spent an hour on the phone with a Sena techie. The last thing he had me do was to disconnect all bluetooth connections and re-pair them to the unit.

Sena

So... I think you're doing something wrong. The fidelity of the BT connection to my iPhone and before that the Droid was excellent across the board.

What specific device are you trying to connent via BT?

And Sena customer support has been great for me.

You are trying to bluetooth to the bikes radio system? Does the bike's bluetooth transciever support AD2P audio profile or Hands Free Profile (HFP) profile only? If it doesn't support AD2P then you will be getting Mono sound only.

Are you use the helmet speaker baseplate or the earbud base plate?

Yes, trying get clear sound from the bike's radio to my SMH-10 Sena. Unit supports AD2P and HFP.

Did you disconnect and re-pair the Sena unit after you loaded the firmware? You might try doing that. Also, there are several options on how to pair the Sena to the bikes audio system, phone and navigation. I'm not an expect at such things but I used to have really crappy audio from my Sena SMH10 until I spent an hour on the phone with a Sena techie. The last thing he had me do was to disconnect all bluetooth connections and re-pair them to the unit.

Been there done that several times. I guess it's time to call Sena.

So... I think you're doing something wrong. The fidelity of the BT connection to my iPhone and before that the Droid was excellent across the board.

Phone is a Samsung Galaxy II.

Same here. Enjoy the Sena product more so than two previous brands.

Lots of love out there for the Sena's even on the RT's but it sounds like yours might need a bit more attention LDChief.

With that being said, there have been issues reported and one of the fixes is to (and I know this goes against logic) downgrade to firmware 4.0.

Have you opened up a support case with Sena?

Back in October they were working on a patch but I don't show it was ever released.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll open a case with Sena on Monday. I really want this fixed as I have several IBA rides scheduled this spring and I enjoy the music. I previously used a Scala system on my last bike which worked well.

LDC, was Sena able to help?

They just released a new firmware version that improves compatibility with onboard systems and that may help you also.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll open a case with Sena on Monday. I really want this fixed as I have several IBA rides scheduled this spring and I enjoy the music. I previously used a Scala system on my last bike which worked well.

FWIW, I have an SMH10 also which is connected to my Samsung bluetooth MP3 player. Both work quite well together. I always wear earplugs when I ride and I can actually hear my music and conversations much better. This may have nothing to do with your problem. As other's have suggested, sounds like you have a bad unit. I wouldn't take no for an answer when you contact customer service. Be nice but persistant.

Back