• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pledge to Plexus

J

Jfixit

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of using Lemon Pledge vs. Plexus or any one of the other motorcycle specific polishes? And what your favorite might be and why.

I've never used Plexus...

Pledge is the only one of the two that I've used personally. It's available everywhere, it's inexpensive, and it works well to:

- Clean/shine almost all surfaces of the motorcycle that's dusty or dirty
- Clean windshields, sometimes may take multiple applications, but it will remove bugs, bird poop, etc.
- Clean helmet face shields.

Besides the "shine", it also makes your face shield and windshield bead water for rainy riding.

I've heard that Plexus is a step up and superior to Pledge. That may well be the case, but Pledge is all I've ever used.

Things that I have used Plexus ($$$$) for:
Polishing windscreens
Polishing face shields
Polishing plastic headlamp lenses

Things that I have used Pledge ($) for:
Polishing windscreens
Polishing face shields
Polishing plastic headlamp lenses
Cleaning motorcycles
Polishing helmets
Polishing shoes
Stopping little squeaks
Polishing furniture
Polishing wood floors
Renewing the luster of plastics
Wiping down wood furniture on firearms
Lubricating drafting machines
Lubricating model railroad stuff
Making slippery spots on the kitchen floor for feline entertainment purposes

Just sayin'.

Received a response from an FAA inspector after posting a touring tip about using pledge. His suggestion: alway test the product in an out of the way piece of the bike before trying it out on the entire bike. :nono

Seems like a reasonable precaution. :bikes

before I pledge my bike, I use Scrub Free,, the wife uses it on the fiberglass bath tube, so why not use it on the LT.
then use pledge.. Great shine

I may be old school, but in my opinion it is hard to beat Mother's California Gold applied over clean sufaces. Not necessarily cheap but a container will last a long, long time.

Does not appear to yellow and is resistant to damage from the sun.

Pledge, Pexus, ArmorAll?

Does anyone have an opinion on using ArmorAll Original as a whole bike cleaner and shiner?

I use Plexus, a ton of it. I think it includes an anti-static as well as a UV protectant. I'm not certain about Pledege

I like Plexus

I like Plexus. You have to rub it for a while but it gives a great shine and after a ride or two all you have to do is wipe the bike off and it will shine again. This is my favorite.

I have recently changed my polishing methods (application & removal). The micro-fiber towels you can buy in the various Dollar Stores beat any shop rag, old cotton T-shirts, or old towels hands down. I do use Plexus on my windscreen and face shield but use a detailing spray wax for most of the painted surfaces on my bike. Chrome is cleaned with Simichrome or similar product and "cool" chrome surfaces are then coated with the spray wax. I try to really clean the bike about once a month. Ride Safe :thumb

Lemon Pledge

I used Lemon Pledge once and ended up with a garage full of bee's :banghead

I use Plexus and just hot water on the hard to clean areas. My hubby uses S100 on his Victory. He seems to like it a lot.

Never tried Pledge, but Plexus will remove tiny scratches from your windscreen and visor. Someday I'll go to a junkyard and find an old piece of plexi windscreen, scrub it up with some steel wool, and see once and for all how far you can go with Plexus.

I spray Plexus on all my plastic bike parts - of which there are a lot on mine. Once you've got a nice layer of Plexus on the surface, dirt doesn't stick to the paint quite as well. Often all the bike needs is a dusting to remove the surface dirt Plexus won't allow to adhere to the paint.

What is all this talk of CLEANING!!!???!!!:scratch

Floyd

Floyd,

Some BMW riders are known to be anal retentive and have to clean their bike every time they ride.

Others, including yourself, find that time spent cleaning could be put to use riding.

I'm in the middle of the country and in the middle of the road when it comes to cleaning.

Back