• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200RT Brake Pads

redheadhexhead

Getting ready to replace the brake pads on my bike. should I use OEM or is there a better solution?
I have not been dissatisfied with the OEM just have nothing to compare to

Getting ready to replace the brake pads on my bike. should I use OEM or is there a better solution?
I have not been dissatisfied with the OEM just have nothing to compare to

Hi ??

What do you define as "better"? There are lots of options..

You can for sure buy less expensive pads. Almost any aftermarket pad is much less costly than the BMW pads.

You can buy more "aggressive" pads - meaning they have a higher friction coefficient, and may give more braking for the same force. Downside is - they may be a bit grabby, and the more aggressive they are the faster they'll wear out rotors.

You can buy less dirty pads (less brake dust) - the downside is they usually don't stop as well. And sometimes they don't stop much at all if it's wet out, at least on initial application.

Need to know what you consider better.

Also - what pads do you need? Since it's a 2012 unless you've been riding the wheels off it, it would surprise me if you needed all three sets of pads. Usually the fronts greatly outlast the rear pads.

At a bit over 20,000 miles I replaced my OEM pads with EBC "HH" pads in all three locations. Much better brake action. Cost was minimal.

At a bit over 20,000 miles I replaced my OEM pads with EBC "HH" pads in all three locations. Much better brake action. Cost was minimal.
I was running EBC HH's in all 3 locations, but recently changed to EBC Organics on the back.. as I replaced the rear rotor. The front rotors look fine, no real discernable wear, the rear was below spec at 3.5mm (spec is 4.0) - mileage - about 64,000 miles. I haven't noticed any change in "bite" with the change on the rear, but I have noticed a bit more brake dust on the front rim, making me think the front is doing more of the braking now. I believe the original rear pads on the R1200R were organics and I know the fronts were "sintered" (or semi-metallics.)

Just a FWIW..

I was running EBC HH's in all 3 locations, but recently changed to EBC Organics on the back.. as I replaced the rear rotor. The front rotors look fine, no real discernable wear, the rear was below spec at 3.5mm (spec is 4.0) - mileage - about 64,000 miles. I haven't noticed any change in "bite" with the change on the rear, but I have noticed a bit more brake dust on the front rim, making me think the front is doing more of the braking now. I believe the original rear pads on the R1200R were organics and I know the fronts were "sintered" (or semi-metallics.)

Just a FWIW..

Don, just as a query, isn't he min wear about 1mm? 3.5mm should be good for awhile before getting to concerned. Still going from memory, don't the pads come new at 4mm plus?

Just wondering and is that your real posting id name?

Don, just as a query, isn't he min wear about 1mm? 3.5mm should be good for awhile before getting to concerned. Still going from memory, don't the pads come new at 4mm plus?

Just wondering and is that your real posting id name?
I guess I wasn't clear. The 3.5mm was the rotor thickness, not the pads. The rotor minimum thickness is spec'd at 4mm.

And also unclear about "real posting id name?" - my name is, and has been for 10 years readily available in my sig. The username I selected here is a contraction of my first/last names - and I use it on MANY forums.

Hope that's clear..

Best regards,

I have not had the need to change brake pads on my 20101 RT, but I willl comment that the standard brakes are some of the best brakes I've ever felt.

Back