• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 GSA reflector recall

Still better than a foot long extension at the license plate!

I'm seriously laughing at the fix and not for y'all having to wait on such a minor fix.

Still better than a foot long extension at the license plate!

I'm seriously laughing at the fix and not for y'all having to wait on such a minor fix.

I also thought the GSA fix would be a ugly extended bracket.
I thought the fix looked good on the GSA I saw at the Kansas City shop today and the owner seemed happy with the look.

R1200RS reflectors are not in at this time.

I see there are 29,000 bikes requiring the reflector fix, going back several years.

How long does it take to make, distribute, notify and install 29,000 fix-it parts?

My Mosko Moto bags came today, would like to hang them on the bike.....wish I had racks......(very, very nice quality and fast delivery. Whoever designed these bags has traveling experience and thought it out.)

You guys with the shock, reflector and turn signal recalls should get a desk and nameplate at the dealership!

Does anyone know what the fix looks like for the Vario cases on an R1200GS? Since the Vario cases don't require the tubular frames that the aluminum boxes have (which can block the reflectors?), I assume there is no modification to the bike, only the cases?

I already put a set of these Motoreflective reflective panels on the rear of my Vario cases. The kit came with small reflective tabs for the sides of the Vario cases (which I installed). You can see what they look like by going to the Motoreflective link. From the photos of the aluminum side cases in this thread, I think I already have a larger reflective area on the sides of my cases than the mod would install.

I am considering adding the Motoreflective side panels to my cases. As the saying goes, you can't be too rich or too conspicuous. (I think I have that right.)

Ken

I got got a letter also. I have a 2012 GSA. Will see what’s required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When those fine new reflectors break what do you think the new ones will cost you $40 each or more or less?

I have more than one bike with missing or obstructed reflectors and no LEO or annual inspection ever took notice. Their ability to hammer a manufacturer is not quite the same as trying to hammer every bike owner in the USA.

Safer?

Looking at these reflectors how do they make things safer for me? If I am crossing in front of another vehicle by the time they see these reflectors on the back of the bike I am past them or they have hit me. The size 3 or 4 square inches?IMG_1012.jpg

You can see red reflector on side bag, if you expand picture you can see the silver white dot mandated truck reflective stuff under the blue RS label. When the light hits this you can see it and I think it does make things safer for me.
Same stuff on side of milk crate ( top box and safety reflectors):)

I have more than one bike with missing or obstructed reflectors and no LEO or annual inspection ever took notice. Their ability to hammer a manufacturer is not quite the same as trying to hammer every bike owner in the USA.

I used to be a TX State approved inspector. Little things like reflectors cracked or missing I would just point out the problem to the vehicle owner and suggest they be fixed by next inspection.

UNTIL! I approved a bike missing the yellow front fork reflectors, attached the TX State sticker, and pulled the bike around for customer pickup. My local State Trooper in charge of my inspection station district just happened to visit my shop on the same day. He caught the error, read me the riot act and threatened to pull my license and my bond.

From then on I was a by-the-letter inspector guy. Don't take your bike to one of those shops! Ha!

Complete hijack...

This has nothing to do with the reflector recall, but while looking up reflector specs for Texas, look what I found in the Texas Vehicle Code apparently to appease our Goldwing and Harley auxiliary light fetish friends :wave

LED GROUND EFFECT LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON MOTORCYCLE. (a) In this section, "LED ground effect lighting equipment" means light emitting diode (LED) technology that is attached to the underbody of a motorcycle for the purpose of illuminating:

(1) the body of the motorcycle; or

(2) the ground below the motorcycle.

(b) A person may operate a motorcycle equipped with LED ground effect lighting that emits a non-flashing light.

Complete hijack...

This has nothing to do with the reflector recall, but while looking up reflector specs for Texas, look what I found in the Texas Vehicle Code apparently to appease our Goldwing and Harley auxiliary light fetish friends :wave

LED GROUND EFFECT LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON MOTORCYCLE. (a) In this section, "LED ground effect lighting equipment" means light emitting diode (LED) technology that is attached to the underbody of a motorcycle for the purpose of illuminating:

(1) the body of the motorcycle; or

(2) the ground below the motorcycle.

(b) A person may operate a motorcycle equipped with LED ground effect lighting that emits a non-flashing light.

HA! Who knew!

The fix probably must be approved by a platoon of bureaucrats. Should have beeen handled as a service campaign rather than a recall.
The fix has been approved by the platoon of bureaucrats, that's why the letter went out. Now it's just a matter of waiting (and waiting, and waiting, and...) for the parts.

It was a safety recall, the key words in the campaign are: "... risk of a crash."

Agreed, a service campaign would have been so much easier. I wouldn't be surprised if prior years have the same issue. But at least we'll be safely reflectorized (eventually) while those other guys will continue to take their lives in their hands every time they go out. Those things will kill you, doncha know. :)

I used to be a TX State approved inspector. Little things like reflectors cracked or missing I would just point out the problem to the vehicle owner and suggest they be fixed by next inspection.

UNTIL! I approved a bike missing the yellow front fork reflectors, attached the TX State sticker, and pulled the bike around for customer pickup. My local State Trooper in charge of my inspection station district just happened to visit my shop on the same day. He caught the error, read me the riot act and threatened to pull my license and my bond.

From then on I was a by-the-letter inspector guy. Don't take your bike to one of those shops! Ha!

Have had local shops hammered for pass thru inspections and loss of their permit. Good news is after March 2018, the inspection requirement in Texas is over for most vehicles except large commercial rigs and trailers over 5000 GVW:dance

Remember when you had to have four square inches of reflective material on sides of your helmet or the LEO would kindly stop you?

Have had local shops hammered for pass thru inspections and loss of their permit. Good news is after March 2018, the inspection requirement in Texas is over for most vehicles except large commercial rigs and trailers over 5000 GVW:dance

Remember when you had to have four square inches of reflective material on sides of your helmet or the LEO would kindly stop you?

WOW ... now that is a flashback! That was the law in NJ when I started riding in 1989. BUT in NJ you can get state inspection for FREE (at least that is how it used to be) if you went to the state inspection stations.

I am thrilled that in NC they eliminated the stupid sticker that they would slap on the bike somewhere. Thankfully my dealer always found an inconspicuous spot to put it. But what a pain!

I heard that Bill died. but, I'm so out of the loop I may have missed it.

I saw a news story on it and local shop said they had notice sent to them as a revenue stream is changing
WOW ... now that is a flashback! That was the law in NJ when I started riding in 1989. BUT in NJ you can get state inspection for FREE (at least that is how it used to be) if you went to the state inspection stations.

I am thrilled that in NC they eliminated the stupid sticker that they would slap on the bike somewhere. Thankfully my dealer always found an inconspicuous spot to put it. But what a pain!

We lost the stickers a year or so back, still required to secure a $12 inspection currently before heading to county assessor office for license sticker . Still use the sticker flap under license plate as a mudflap on a few bikes!
The trailer weight requirement changed in August and our toyhauler is now exempt:thumb

The whole reflector debacle is pretty silly to me.

The whole reflector debacle is pretty silly to me.

Totally agree! And back in the days of the R1100RT and R1150RT you could get the bags with reflectors or the "Touring" badges on the sides. Next thing you know they will be recalling those too. :banghead

And the irony is many many BMW owners add way more reflective stuff to the bags on their own. :)

Totally agree! And back in the days of the R1100RT and R1150RT you could get the bags with reflectors or the "Touring" badges on the sides. Next thing you know they will be recalling those too. :banghead

And the irony is many many BMW owners add way more reflective stuff to the bags on their own. :)

Yep, I owned a R1150RT with Touring Badge, I still have them since I removed and replace with BMW reflectors. I do think it's important for the bike to have side markers that can be seen :)

Jay

Atacama Dealer Update

Here's what I was told at the dealership last week (end of April '18): Dealers have the parts req'd to address the reflector recall issue on the pannier frames, but are still awaiting the solution for adding side reflectors to the Atacama side panniers. As always, they say "in a few more weeks," but that's been the official language from the mothership all year.

I tired of waiting and bought the full Mosko Moto ensemble. A third-party vendor, they do not have to observe the same legal CYA protocols BMW and other "official" marques are obliged to. I figure I can find and mount suitable "reflectors" on the panniers myself.

Back