• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Year's Resolutions for Photographers

The only thing I'd add is to carry a camera with you at all time, even a cellphone camera can take great pix!

For Voni

Who enjoys taking lots and lots of pictures and is good - I'd suggest you invest and move up to one of the newer mini SLR cameras and have a couple lens on hand at all times - a good combo would be a wide angle and a zoom for close ups.

I know Lumix & Panasonic have some nifty small SLR's.

I've spent almost the entire week reading a book called "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. He's a very good trainer - he also has a great website with online classes > www.kelbytraining.com

So that would mean getting a copy of Adobe Lightroom 3 and some instruction via book or online training. If you're still carrying education credentials or know a student, Adobe has an education website and the software is really reasonable.

Finally, the icing on the cake, would be investing in a Mac Book Pro 13" screen. This is the cat's meow, in my opinion for processing pictures. I've had PC laptops since the 80's and I'm now into my first Mac - very, very pleased and impressed.

Good Luck, Voni

Happy New Year!

Great link, Voni, with some very worthwhile ideas. Thanks. I think the need to edit is often overlooked, where people just put every picture they took on a site for everyone to view, when many of the shots are duplicates or clearly should have been deleted. But there are many, many other great ideas in your link, too.

More and better pictures in 2011 is a great resolution, and everyone wins!

For Voni

Who enjoys taking lots and lots of pictures and is good - I'd suggest you invest and move up to one of the newer mini SLR cameras and have a couple lens on hand at all times - a good combo would be a wide angle and a zoom for close ups.

I know Lumix & Panasonic have some nifty small SLR's.

I've spent almost the entire week reading a book called "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. He's a very good trainer - he also has a great website with online classes > www.kelbytraining.com

So that would mean getting a copy of Adobe Lightroom 3 and some instruction via book or online training. If you're still carrying education credentials or know a student, Adobe has an education website and the software is really reasonable.

Finally, the icing on the cake, would be investing in a Mac Book Pro 13" screen. This is the cat's meow, in my opinion for processing pictures. I've had PC laptops since the 80's and I'm now into my first Mac - very, very pleased and impressed.

Good Luck, Voni

Happy New Year!

+1 on the new micro format SLR's. I've had a Pen EP-1 since it first came out and now have four lens, wide angle, 9-16mm, fixed prime 17 mm, 14-45mm and 50-160mm and it all fits in a bag that my Nikon D80 and one lens would fit in. At 11 oz for the body I can carry it all day long even on really hot days and it doesn't wear me out like the Nikon would. takes fantastic shots and has about every feature one could want in such a camera, is very unobtrusive and not much bigger than some of the better P&S cameras. The Micro Four-Thirds format is well on its way to being a major player in the replaceable lens camera line. While the Pen is just one of two current players in the Micro Four-Thirds market I went with that one because of the fact the IS is in the body not the lens so any lens in the series from both players will work with it.

While some are saying the days of the standard camera are nearing an end with the advent of improvements in cell phone cameras, for those that truly enjoy photography I don't think we have much to worry about.

Oh and I think Lumix is a Panasonic brand, the other one is made by Olympus and all lens in the format have to have the same mount so are not brand specific.

RM

You can the best gear in the world and still take lousy pictures.
Either you have an 'eye' or you don't.

With the advent of the Internets and now digital imaging it has become a great deal faster.
That has not changed the basic concepts though.

This guy, Ken Rockwell has some good info for the rising amateur photographer.
I do like his quote: "Photography is the power of observation, not the application of technology."

As I personally don't agree w/ some of his stuff, it is still a good site to get some answers and some great tips on the 'constants' of photography.

How to Make Great Photographs
or
"Everything You Really Needed to Learn About
Photography That They Didn't Teach You at Brooks"

Here is a good link in KR's site: Your Camera Doesn't Matter.

Last edited:
Back