• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'73 R60/5 Final Drive Spline Lube Question

kentuvman

On re-assembly of FD to rear wheel, is it an RX to apply a thin coat of Moly to the inner splines where the FD splines mate up with the rear wheel? I know too much would cause the grease to contaminate the brake shoes, something I don't want to do.

This is the accepted way. Too much will migrate, not enough will allow rust to form wearing out the splines earlier. I lube the hub using a small parts brush then reassemble.

Wayne

My dad liked his steaks really rare and used to tell the waitress "to just walk it through the kitchen".

Same with the splines.

I think it depends on what you use. You said "Moly"...not sure what that is. A lot of people speak highly of Honda Moly 60...it has lubrication properties and sticks pretty well...won't fling off. I use a red tacky Chevron grease which I cut with about 1/3 of wheel bearing moly grease. It stays put but has some sliding aspects to it. Put the grease on the wheel side, not on the drive side. That way, any excess is pushed away from the seal, not into it.

Do you suppose that guy has a youtube video of greasing the splines? :dunno

I think it depends on what you use. You said "Moly"...not sure what that is. A lot of people speak highly of Honda Moly 60...it has lubrication properties and sticks pretty well...won't fling off. I use a red tacky Chevron grease which I cut with about 1/3 of wheel bearing moly grease. It stays put but has some sliding aspects to it. Put the grease on the wheel side, not on the drive side. That way, any excess is pushed away from the seal, not into it.

Do you suppose that guy has a youtube video of greasing the splines? :dunno

Thanks, Guys - I'll mix some traditional grease with the Honda Moly to make it real sticky and just dab it - great suggestions.
Haven't seen Chris @ Affordable Beemer Service do a video on this yet but he sure churns them out!

Thanks, Guys - I'll mix some traditional grease with the Honda Moly to make it real sticky and just dab it - great suggestions.
Haven't seen Chris @ Affordable Beemer Service do a video on this yet but he sure churns them out!

There is a company here in Houston called Guard Dog Moly that sells a good spline grease with moly in it: http://guarddogmoly.com. I've used it on my rear splines with good success.

There is a company here in Houston called Guard Dog Moly that sells a good spline grease with moly in it: http://guarddogmoly.com. I've used it on my rear splines with good success.

I've got the guard dog moly additive for the gear oil but have not purchased their spline grease yet - Paul Glaves speaks very highly of their products.

I've got the guard dog moly additive for the gear oil but have not purchased their spline grease yet - Paul Glaves speaks very highly of their products.
I've been using it for a couple of years- I like it. It's probably better than what I'd mix up myself with Honda Moly 60.

Grease

When I went to BMW service school, BMW, at the time was calling for BMW #10 grease for the splines. We got into a good discussion about the properties required for the application.
Skipping to the point, our esteemed instructor showed us a sample of Wurth SIG-3000, noting that it had all the right properties for both rear splines and clutch splines. I've been using it ever since with absolutely no problems.
My recommendation is to clean the drive splines at every rear tire change and use the SIG-3000. It will certainly give you a lot more miles out of your splines.

I'm probably late to this post but I used the Wurth SIG-3000, mentioned above and recommended by the poster. It seems to be working well. Over 500 miles and no apparent issues.

Wurth WORKS for me

brian

Back