• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200 RS or GT?

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
Asked this question in the Kbike (Flying Brick) forum and got zero response, so I'll post it here in hopes of gaining some insight, at the risk of it getting punted for cross-posting, maybe.

Been looking to replace my 88 K100- with an updated bike. I'm mostly looking at 02-03 K1200s. I see a lot of RSs for sale, and a few GTs. They LOOK similar but I know there must be some differences. Can anyone tell me the diff between the two models?

Also, I read somewhere that the front and rear wheels are "offset" (meaning, I guess, that it's not a "single track" machine), so how, if at all, does this affect the ride/handling?

I've looked at bikes as old as 1998, up to 2003-4. Is there a "best" year for the K1200? The 02-03 models seem to get snapped up quickly! People must love 'em.

Thanks!

Tom

Have an '02 K12RS with 157K+ and love the bike. Main differences between RS and GT are different handle bars, electric windshield on GT, color painted saddle bags on GT, taller windshield on GT (called a comfort shield, also fits RS), GT had a heated seat option. That's all I recall, but, I'm certain there are a few other differences.

Have an '02 K12RS with 157K+ and love the bike. Main differences between RS and GT are different handle bars, electric windshield on GT, color painted saddle bags on GT, taller windshield on GT (called a comfort shield, also fits RS), GT had a heated seat option. That's all I recall, but, I'm certain there are a few other differences.

GT also has fairing extensions.
I believe cruise control was included on most 02 and up models, not sure if it was available on the earlier models.
02-04 (05 GT) also have power assisted "whizzy brakes" I love mine, some hate them.
03 & up have a 5-1/2" wide rear wheel, 98 to 02 rear is 5", may have changed in mid/late 02
Upper fairing & windscreen on the 98-01 RS is different from the 02-05 models.

Oh, you WILL require a radar detector........ :brow

I just brought a '03 KRS and I am in the process of farckling it to my likes and wants.

The GT fairing extension can be brought. about $70 for the uppers and they just bolt on. Offers a touch more wind protection for hands and lower arms. I have also lowered the front pegs for a slightly less of a knee bend, it wasn't bad but I got a knee that prefers a lesser of a bend for long rides.

The lower fairing extension I have yet receive, I do believe some mounting holes will have to be drilled for installation. I do find in cold weather I wish I had a touch more wind protection, but in warm/dry weather, probably are not needed.

What was stated already about larger and electric windscreen, different angle and setback on the handlebars and as I understand a comfort seat might be on a GT.

What a change from the '88 K100LT I been riding, nothing but smiles.... Cruise control is a great feature, glad I got it now vs the flip level I had installed on the KLT.

I also read about the offset tracking, but I surely can not tell yet (about 2k miles on it in the past 3 weeks) that the tracking is anything but sure footed! It does not feel nearly as top heavy as my older KLT even since it weight more. I should be putting on a Givi tail trunk (V46) this weekend, I hope it still preforms as it does now. I sure mile eater.....

Back